How do I dye White to Grey?

Darth Flan

Active Hunter
I tried dying my white jumpsuit with Rit dye. They dont make a grey so I just used a little black. Well it turned a form of purple. Not very flattering for a ROTJ suit.

What have you guys done to get a light ROTJ grey??

Thanks

Jangos kid

Well-Known Hunter
Yeah, Rit does make a color called Pearl grey, but for some reason, Its a harder color to find. I've had similar problems with the black flan...try to use just a bit to get grey, and end up with a purpleish hue. If you look hard enough, hopefully you can find some pearl grey...or order it online. I've used it exactly a Jedi bob suggests with good results also.
Damian

Darth Flan

Active Hunter
HAHA! I found Pearl Grey at Hobby Lobby. Now I have to get the purple out of the jumpsuit 1st. LOL I dont need a Femme-Fett

D

Duh

I found RIT Pearl Grey at Joann's Fabrics. It worked perfectly. Make sure the water you use is HOT. Add a bit of salt and laundry detergent.

Duh!

fettcicle

Well-Known Hunter
Make sure to use the Rit color remover to get the purple color out of your jumpsuit. Chlorine bleach has the nasty habbit of deteriorating cotton fabrics ;)

Darth Flan

Active Hunter
Pearl grey worked perfectly. I just used about 3/4 of a package in my kitchen sink and used HOT water. About 5 mins later I took it out, spun all the extra water out in the washer, then dried it. It looks Great!

Thanks for the tips!