Helmet sizing (Advice Needed)

Globe

New Hunter
Hi I am building my Second Helmet and I could use some advice on sizing Because My first one was tight/small and I want to do this right before I do it again so please any advice would be helpful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting to think its because I rushed it and did not do the inner surface last time What do you think?

A few questions

Do you have any dimensions of said small helmet? measured from inside of the helmet from ear to ear just so we can see what you ended up with, it maybe small yes or you may have a larger head than most
(no offence to your self of course) also what templates did you use, but in short yes you can scale the templates up using PDF by a few %

Hi,
Whether or not your own sizing trouble came from not including the inner surface, I'd say there's valuable information to be gleaned here.
I am in a similar situation, with
my first helmet, based on the WoF templates, having turned out slightly too small.
The frustrating thing is that it's quite easy, during the early stages of a build, to mistakenly believe that it is going to fit.
Then you can spend a lot of time getting the mandibles, the dome, the earpieces right, only to discover that there is not enough room left for both the keyhole section and your head. (I don't believe it is screen accurate to have your nose squashed up against the t-visor.)
I aim to build a second helmet based on the RafalV2 templates, but I don't want to waste time and 2mm cardboard through trial and error.
So I intend to mock up a few helmet bases at different sizes: +3%, +6%, +9%... until I determine what feels right.
Since it's just for sizing, rigidity and aesthetics are not important, so card stock can be used instead of cardboard. Also, lots of details can be left out: the dome surface, the mandibles, the outer sheath. However, you need to include the helmet base curvature, the dome base curvature and above all, space for the keyhole section. These are the elements which influence the available space inside the helmet front to rear, which at least in my case is the critical measurement.
Also, it's not necessary to waste time mocking up the keyhole section, just tape in a matchbox or something to approximate the space required.
I can't advise much about planning space for other components you might intend to include - padding, electronics, ventillation, and so on - as didn't go this far with my first helmet.
I'd be interested to see your progress.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is exactly what happened the rafalv2 looks promising i will try that and a few different sizes as well thank you

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back