Fett-Based business advice?

Eli Jinn

Hunter
Hello again.
I'm just a teenager looking to make some money. I've been told relentlessly that I need to put myself out there and sell my soul talents. I don’t mean to brag, but I think I'm a pretty decent painter, so I could offer paintups. I just don't know how to literally start a business. I could work on Etsy, although I think it's less about the customer sending a helmet for a paintup and more about me sending the customer a finished helmet. I know people sell stuff in the Cargo Hold right here, so that might be something I'm interested in, but I'm not familiar with how all that works. Does anyone have advice?

The first piece of advice I would offer up is to advertise. Pick up a cheap Fett helmet from eBay and paint it up. Then post pics advertising your services. Good luck!

If it is going to be a means of making money, ideally you would want to pick something that is as quick and easy as possible, at least in my own opinion. If it were me, I would start with offering maybe painted armor, gaunts, or shin tool sets before trying to mess with helmets because Boba's bucket is an absolute beast. It takes too long to paint a helmet compared to a set of shoulders that you could probably pump out in a day or two. With the money you make from that, you could use it to buy better tools, paints, etc., and get some more helmet experience under your belt by picking up cheap buckets where you can for practice. You will want to build a good portfolio with examples of your paintwork so that you can show people and hopefully entice them into commissioning you.

Pick up a cheap Fett helmet from eBay and paint it up.
get some more helmet experience under your belt by picking up cheap buckets where you can for practice.
Well, it looks like I'm already on the right track because I do have a cheap helmet I'm painting, and you can see the progress on my thread here.
I definitely like the idea of painting some other armor parts that will take less time, but I'm not sure where I should post them. Instagram? Ebay? Etsy?

If it is going to be a means of making money, ideally you would want to pick something that is as quick and easy as possible, at least in my own opinion. If it were me, I would start with offering maybe painted armor, gaunts, or shin tool sets before trying to mess with helmets because Boba's bucket is an absolute beast. It takes too long to paint a helmet compared to a set of shoulders that you could probably pump out in a day or two. With the money you make from that, you could use it to buy better tools, paints, etc., and get some more helmet experience under your belt by picking up cheap buckets where you can for practice. You will want to build a good portfolio with examples of your paintwork so that you can show people and hopefully entice them into commissioning you.
robotzo
Yep! Agreed! Start small.

Eli Jinn
That how I kinda started - small. I built a little cape greeblie for us ROTJ Fett's.

Check this thread out: For Sale - ROTJ Cape Greeblie

I've not seen the piece offered, (And I looked around for one too) even though it is a Level II Certification based on the 501st CRL, I just liked the idea of something more to show on a costume. I do them in runs of 5's for $30.00 and low and behold, there was a market for this! (Only take on what you can manage, it helps set expectations better) I'm in my 4th run now and got two people already on the reservation list.

I'm also testing the waters in building the ROTJ Capes (With my little cape greeblie) as well.

Here is my last sales thread for one of my capes I offered: For Sale - ROTJ Cape (US Army Half Shelter w/Cape Greeblie) **SOLD**

They certainly sell out fast, my 1st one I built sold within 15 mins and the 2nd one I sold within 8 mins of me posting it. This is mainly for fun, and to have a little pocket change. But I certainly do NOT do this as my primary source of income. Best of luck to ya!

:cool: (y)

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
But I certainly do NOT do this as my primary source of income.
I figured that this whole thing would be for the pocket change rather than a full time job. I never expected it to. Besides my parents would not approve of me doing this instead of going out into the world and getting an actual job. I don’t think "Boba Fett Replica Prop Maker" would look that good on a resume...

Well, it looks like I'm already on the right track because I do have a cheap helmet I'm painting, and you can see the progress on my thread here.
I definitely like the idea of painting some other armor parts that will take less time, but I'm not sure where I should post them. Instagram? Ebay? Etsy?
You can just post finished pieces for sale in the Cargo Hold here as you complete them and have them readily available for sale. Maybe stay away from Ebay and Etsy until you have a little more experience with selling. Why go anywhere else when most of your potential buyers will likely be here on the forum already? Maybe instagram if your following is decent and you get some exposure.

I figured that this whole thing would be for the pocket change rather than a full time job. I never expected it to. Besides my parents would not approve of me doing this instead of going out into the world and getting an actual job. I don’t think "Boba Fett Replica Prop Maker" would look that good on a resume...
Eli Jinn
True that! It does make you wonder those who do manage to do it, and make a name for themselves doing it. Like Boba Maker or Man of War Studios, Machine Craft Replica's, etc. It seems like this is their lively hood - I assume they make a decent amount of money doing it.

robotzo
I've only sold my wares on here. I never needed to go to an Etsy or eBay to sell. I think I've been successful right here. Besides I'm not ready for that higher form of war just yet. Just keeping it simple, and seems to work with my schedule.
(y)

-Iron

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back