Helmet help (interior/paint)

ObitomoFett

Jr Hunter
Hey guys and gal's, just wondering some questions on a way to set up a ROTJ bucket. What kind of set-up does everyone have and does a chin cup set up help at all/how do I buy/set it up?

Also another side question referring to Humbrol paints, what kind of paints did people use for the paint up for their helmets and if they used humbrol how many pots are needed/what's the mix ratio and how to properly paint.

TLDR I don't want to screw up my paint job and interiors haha.

Lewis White to the rescue...

Have a look at these Videos....all of them it will help and tell you everything

Last edited by a moderator:
...avoid mixing, after mixing, you will never mix the same colour again...

Thats not true at all! There are quite a few mixed paints on my paint ups and they always look the same unless im trying to tweak them.

When you mix, you should always mix more than you need and save it in another paint jar. You also should keep track of what colors you mixed and approx how much. When that jar starts getting low, start mixing a new batch and match it to the underside of the lid of the previously mixed batch..this way your matching the wet paint color. Then just refill your bottle. I do this all the time.

Does he do non ESB stuff though?

Ah....well you can always use it as ROTJ SE version, its basically the same as ESB helmet :D but if you want standard ROTJ then no the colors wont be the exactly the same, the ears for one are vertualy one color... but the method in the videos is still sound, hope you can take something away from it. (y)

Ah....well you can always use it as ROTJ SE version, its basically the same as ESB helmet :D but if you want standard ROTJ then no the colors wont be the exactly the same, the ears for one are vertualy one color... but the method in the videos is still sound, hope you can take something away from it. (y)

I was more so curious about a specific list of colours.
But I will use his videos out.

Thats not true at all! There are quite a few mixed paints on my paint ups and they always look the same unless im trying to tweak them.

When you mix, you should always mix more than you need and save it in another paint jar. You also should keep track of what colors you mixed and approx how much. When that jar starts getting low, start mixing a new batch and match it to the underside of the lid of the previously mixed batch..this way your matching the wet paint color. Then just refill your bottle. I do this all the time.
from my experience with my tiny paint tubs that are possibly older than the pyramids, I can only mix the amount that I'm gonna use, when I try to mix it again, even if I measure, its gonna be different because of the thinner concentration difference since the last time I mixed it.

Im guessing you mean you need to add thinner to one of the colors your mixing, for example, and then next time you mix, the paint has dryed up some what and you need to add more thinner to it. that shouldn't really be happening..the tin probably isnt closing properly and drying out again. I sometimes will swap the Humbrol into a Model Masters jar pre thinned if i have that issue. But i usually go through paints fast now so i rarely have that issue anymore.

lol....well if they are older than the pyramids, you may want to replace them lol.

But anyway,this is why you'd be matching it to the color inside the jar of your previously mixed paint, while its still wet..i dont go by exact amounts, i go by if it looks the same, im an artist, not a scientist lol! if you need to add less or more of a color or a little more thinner, it shouldn't make a difference as long as the final color looks the same. Ive been doing this method for years and never had this issue you seem to be having :/

Any ideas on what I should do for the interior? As in what I should put in to hold the bucket to my head, what fans and any screen accurate parts needed.

You can buy padding inserts made for motorcycle and bicycle helmets. I got one that seems to work well inside my helmet. I don't know if a chin-strap is necessary.

My bucket has already been primed, to my knowledge rattlecan primers can be used in tandem with humbrol enamel airbrushing. However my backpanels are painted in an unknown silver automotive paint, if I airbrush my humbrol over the top with that crack or be affected? Not sure if the silver is enamel or acrylic.

My bucket has already been primed, to my knowledge rattlecan primers can be used in tandem with humbrol enamel airbrushing. However my backpanels are painted in an unknown silver automotive paint, if I airbrush my humbrol over the top with that crack or be affected? Not sure if the silver is enamel or acrylic.

I used auto silver on all of my armor the Humbrol went over with no issues..that said if it's all unknown best bet is to test spray a small section and see how it reacts, if it seems ok after it is bone dry then apply the paint in light layers all over the silver building it up slowly, once you have a good mist of the Humbrol stuck to the silver you now have a new coat of Humbrol to paint on it. then go to town with the final paint job..

Point I am getting at is to make a new surface to paint to with the Humbrol rather than risking a finished paint job direct to the silver. Make sense? :confused

I used auto silver on all of my armor the Humbrol went over with no issues..that said if it's all unknown best bet is to test spray a small section and see how it reacts, if it seems ok after it is bone dry then apply the paint in light layers all over the silver building it up slowly, once you have a good mist of the Humbrol stuck to the silver you now have a new coat of Humbrol to paint on it. then go to town with the final paint job..

Point I am getting at is to make a new surface to paint to with the Humbrol rather than risking a finished paint job direct to the silver. Make sense? :confused

Yeah I get what you mean, from what I've gathered from the previous owner's that they both would have used an enamel, so I should be fine right?

I recon it will be jut fine, start light and build it up, give it a little blast with a hair dryer from a distance to warm it all up and will dry the first layer of paint out good to

image.jpg

Found this his behind the scenes pic on Pinterest , pretty cool look

Does this sound right for ROTJ?
HUMBROL ENAMEL 11 SILVER METALLIC

HUMBROL ENAMEL 67 TANK GREY MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 79 BLUE GREY MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 33 MATT BLACK

HUMBROL ENAMEL 31 SLATE GREY MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 78 COCKPIT GREEN MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 131 MID GREEN SATIN

HUMBROL ENAMEL 76 UNIFORM GREY MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 101 MID GREEN MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 82 ORANGE LINING MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 73 WINE RED MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 100 RED BROWN MATT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 201 BLACK METALLIC

HUMBROL ENAMEL 16 GOLD METALLIC

HUMBROL ENAMEL 60 SCARLETT

HUMBROL ENAMEL 154 INSIGNIA YELLOW

HUMBROL ENAMEL 98 CHOCOLATE

My helmet is also a bit dirty, should I wash with soapy detergent and steel wool over the wet bucket? Or just use a chux to clean it up with some water.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back