Helmet damage advice

toofastrobot

Active Hunter
Hey all, I just sold my first helmet, but the helmet supposedly arrived damaged by the post. I packed it very well in a 14x14x14 box will plenty of bubble wrap, plastic bags, and coupon booklets/newspaper adverts etc.
He'd like me to comp the cost to fix the damaged portion, its the bottom part of the mandible where the visor connects. I'll upload pics, basically he wants 100 bucks to fix the damage, I'd don't mind at all to pay to help to fix it to pay for the entire cost to fix it due to it being no fault of my own is a little... out there to me. I offered to pay for half of it, what should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
uploadfromtaptalk1446244812913.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1446244828876.jpeg

The way he's speaking now it seems like he's trying to scam me. :/ He's telling me it was caused by the tension of the visor being held into place by the nuts.

Dunno if anyone has dealt with a Mike Rosa before. Cruzer have you ever had a mandible crack on a fiberglass AND resin helmet from the tension of your visor installation?

He's a trusted friend to me. That particular area is hollowed out with a small channel that is then backfilled with the t-nut and CA glue. I've never had that happen to me before but an inward hit/pressure at the tip could cause that to happen on any helmet. It could be fixed with a little CA glue or smoothing the area out on the inside and applying a thin coat of fiberglass cloth. If that is your previous helmet on which I installed the visor, let him know he can send it to me for fixing or for purchase and I'll pay him whatever he paid you plus his shipping expenses. Hope that helps.

Dunno if anyone has dealt with a Mike Rosa before. @Cruzer have you ever had a mandible crack on a fiberglass AND resin helmet from the tension of your visor installation?

He's a trusted friend to me. That particular area is hollowed out with a small channel that is then backfilled with the t-nut and CA glue. I've never had that happen to me before but an inward hit/pressure at the tip could cause that to happen on any helmet. It could be fixed with a little CA glue or smoothing the area out on the inside and applying a thin coat of fiberglass cloth. If that is your previous helmet on which I installed the visor, let him know he can send it to me for fixing or for purchase and I'll pay him whatever he paid you plus his shipping expenses. Hope that helps.
Yeah it's the Animefan I first sent out to you to fit a visor for. I'll pass this message along to him. Would you be able to contact him personally as well? This is getting way out of hand.

Yeah it's the Animefan I first sent out to you to fit a visor for. I'll pass this message along to him. Would you be able to contact him personally as well? This is getting way out of hand.
Thanks for the invite but if there's one thing I've learned from 42 years of living, it's to stay out of the conversation when either grown men who make costumes or women are bickering. ;)

...but I am here to help with the repair or refund if I can since I installed the visor. My guess is there are some careless packaging handlers somewhere along the line in your direction since the same helmet sustained some damage when I shipped it your way.

Sorry this is happening buddy.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the invite but if there's one thing I've learned from 42 years of living, it's to stay out of the conversation when either grown men who make costumes or women are bickering. ;)

...but I am here to help with the repair or refund if I can since I installed the visor. My guess is there are some careless packaging handlers somewhere along the line in your direction since the same helmet sustained some damage when I shipped it your way.

Sorry this is happening buddy.

Sent from my iPhone
I don't know what his deal is I've done nothing to him and I've never spoken with him before, it seems he has me confused with someone named Alex Hunt? I don't know if it's a personal vendetta against him or not.

I'm not asking you to step in in that manner. I am simply asking that since you've extended the offer to fix/purchase the helmet that you make him aware of your intentions at the very least? This is very distressing for me and I am not made of money, I don't want to be out a helmet and over half the cost of the helmet.

Thank you so much Cruzer I really appreciate it. And for the record your visor installation was pristine!

$200 !?!? That can be fixed in 5 minutes with some UV adhesive. Years back I bought a Don Post Royal Guard here that included a wooden stand. When I opened the box I noticed that the stand was put up inside the helmet, during shipping the stand slid back and forth like a battering ram and blew a hole out the top of his lid, it was also winter which probably wouldn't help a vinyl helmet. the piece that blew out was a perfect match to the hole, I put some UV glue around it, sanded and painted it. All was right with the world again.

Did he pay insurance for the shipping? If not, unless you're willing to contribute to the repair out of the goodness of your heart, you have no legal obligation to pay a penny toward this repair. Once something hits the US Mail, UPS, or FedEx anything can happen. Because of that, it is outside your legal control and obligations. Plus, if he went from $100 to demanding $200, I think you're getting scammed cuz the guy does not want to pay for the repair AND the helmet. If he paid through through his credit card, then there may be some insurance coverage from there, but it's his responsibility to work that out, not yours.

He sent photos of the damage, did he send you photos of the box? If so, was there evidence of damage consistent with the damage to the helmet? Did he make a damage claim with the shipper? If he did, he should have a record of that, tell him to show you proof of a damage claim. If he can't produce it...well...life's tough. At that point, it's up to you if you're going to give him any repair money.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back