Happy Holidays! A fun little afrernoon project...

UMD S4L

Active Hunter
I felt inspired one day to have some fun and make a helmet based on Boba's appearance in the Star Wars Holiday Special, so I bought the cheapest helmet I could (that still sort of resembles Boba Fett) and a few cans of spray paint and had some fun! The premise was to make a helmet that looked right out of the animation, instead of making a realistic version of an animated helmet. I outlined the lines of the helmet with kind of rough lines to simulate the (very wonky) hand animation of the show. I do need to touch up the black lines a little in a few spots and after watching the holiday special this morning, I realized the directional signals should be white inside, which I did not have...

20171028_142023.jpg
20171028_143350.jpg
20171028_150157.jpg
20171029_135335.jpg
20171029_135510.jpg
20171029_145040.jpg
20171029_145047.jpg
20171029_152444.jpg

Great idea to get into the holiday spirit. And neat concept doing it a cell shaded style.

If only you had a really wonky faced toon Han Solo to chase.

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you approve. I had seen some versions of this but they were always realistic interpretations and wanted something unique. I thought that "cel-shaded", old-school cartoon look would be perfect.

I looked for the cans of paint and could only find one, which is the darker blue. It's a Rust-Oleum 2X coverage satin paint called "Oasis Blue." I bought them both at Wal-Mart, so I looked on the site and I think the other, primary blue color is also Rust-Oleum 2x but this is a gloss finish called "seaside." Then I painted the inside of the visor gloss black. The edges were painted with model paint. If you want, I can stop by Wal-Mart this week and confirm the paint color. When compared to stills from the actual cartoon, it's pretty darn close. And that's it. I still need to paint the arrows, though. In some scenes of the Holiday Special, the arrows are either white or a VERY light blue. It may be the same color as Boba's flight suit. Anyone have any thoughts?

One thing about this particular helmet is that it takes spray paint like a CHAMP.

If anyone is interested, I got it here: Adult’s Deluxe Boba Fett Mask

When I purchased it, shipping was free, but that may have just been for Halloween. Even still, this is cheaper than you can find this helmet on ebay. I will warn you, for anyone who has the original Target release, this one feels a bit thinner... But it's still good enough if you want to do a helmet that isn't supposed to be film accurate.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back