Gauntlet hose connectors

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
The ROTJ tube looks like this:

r_side_gauntlet.jpg

There is no 'bend' in the tube, possibly a nice custom idea. I used JB Weld to secure the tube along the side of the gauntlet, underneath the resin housing. As mentioned above, I found the 3/8" brass tube at HobbyTownUSA, although I'm sure there are alternatives elswhere.

batninja , nice pic . That looks good .How is the end of the tube sealed off ? I like the paint job there . What technique did you use for the weathering ? Oh while I have your attension ..... what is the best way to secure the hoses to the jumpsuit . I have heard several methods . Under the upper sleeve cuff .But how do you hoses attach ? Thanks

Mike

Hehe...yes, that's not MY suit exactly, but my gauntlet stuff came pretty close.

The tube is not sealed off. Think of it as a barrel or exhaust or...something.

I will post my version of the upper connectors in a few minutes. An earlier version of my connections (single hose) is posted at TK409's website. Let me draw a new one up. :)

Here we go:

hose_attachment.jpg

This is not exactly how I think the movie version was done, but it was very comfortable for me. Using elastic prevents the hoses from 'bowing' out when your arms are at your sides, while allowing you to stretch your arms without the hoses coming off coming off the gauntlet fittings.

You might also want to put a dab of Goop or some other adhesive over the nut/bolt connection, so it won't come loose over time.

batninja said:
You might also want to put a dab of Goop or some other adhesive over the nut/bolt connection, so it won't come loose over time.

batninja - Nice diagram. I will give it a try when I get to that point in my suit. With reguard to the nut, you may want to use a nylock nut. The nylon insert "locks" the nut on the bolt, so it won't come loose from movement. You can pick them up at Home Depot.

Gator

Nut.jpg

Lookin good guys .... some nice ideas . The aluminum paint on my connectors is dry so I will bang and weather them up a bit... go find some aluminum tube at the Depot and try to rig this up this weekend . I'll post some pics as I go . Cheers

Mike

I stand corrected! That also looks way easier to replicate...you could even do it with a dowel if you primed the S**t out of it and put some heavy weathering on it! Good call Mr. Batninja!

batninja said:
The ROTJ tube looks like this:

r_side_gauntlet.jpg

There is no 'bend' in the tube, possibly a nice custom idea. I used JB Weld to secure the tube along the side of the gauntlet, underneath the resin housing. As mentioned above, I found the 3/8" brass tube at HobbyTownUSA, although I'm sure there are alternatives elswhere.

OK so here is the final look for the connectors . Off I go now to the Depot to find some tubing .The inside diameter of these is 1/4 so if I pass the tube through the center I need a 1/4" . If I cant find 1/4" I will go with larger ( maybe 3/8 ) and thread the back of the connector into the tube and then run a 1/4" steel rod through that to out the front so I can slide the hose on.

Mike

HoseFittingWeathered.JPG

Progress report .... I added a pipe ... cut it , primed , painted and weathered for the lower hose connector attached to the right/ dart gauntlet .Of course the pipe section will be painted and weathered to match the gauntlet when it is done and attach just below the resin block .I have a dowel which will run through the middle that the hose fits snug onto .

Mike

Connectors01.JPG

ConnectorPipeAssy01.JPG

Wow,
This thread is fantastic! I'm getting ready to start a set of ROTJ gauntlets, and this info is going to be supremely useful.
Thanks to all who contributed research and especially the cool diagrams!
Eric

batninja said:
So here's the complete parts list, per connector:

WATTS 3/8" FINE THREAD FLARE NUT (A-161, green pkg)
WATTS BRASS PIPE NIPPLE 1/4" X CLOSE (A-740, pink pkg)
AMFLO 1/4" to 1/4" FEMALE PIPE COUPLINGS (#344FE-RET)
1/4" wood dowel

The Watts pieces are found in the plumbing section and the Amflo piece is found in the air compressor area. I found all these pieces at Lowe's.

I picked up my hose connector pieces at Lowe's today, except for the AMFLO coupling. Lowe's had the #344FE-RET coupling, but the coupling itself was slightly different than the one pictured above. The AMFLO couplings at my store did not have the center hex nut and round ends as needed. Rather, they had a round center with a hex nut at each end.

The Lowe's website still shows the corret fitting, but my store only had the new style fitting. Perhaps AMFLO is making the fittings different now, so the parts list above, may now be incomplete.

Luckily, I was able to find the corret fitting at Sears. It is part #16361 - 1/4" NPT Female Thread Brass Connector Kit. The kit actually contains 2 fittings. Here is the link to the Sears site.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916361000

Gator

Last edited by a moderator:
batninja said:
:EDIT: OLD TUTORIAL REMOVED, SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE NEW ONE!

Here's what the pieces look like when you're searching. I have no idea who originally posted this, but it helped me ALOT when I made my shopping trip. (NOTE- Some prefer the all-metal tubing to my wood dowel method. Different strokes...)

Connectors1.jpg

The piece has been changed.
it looks like this now (note the same part #)

344FERET.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that this thread is dead to most of you, and that this is a stupid question, but I read the ENTIRE thing, and didn't see what kind of actual HOSE I need for an ESB gauntlet set up. I am not even 100% sure how many hoses are on that thing...1 I think? Also, how to set it up on the gauntlet?

How have people actually attached their top hose on the ROTJ gauntlet? Everything I read here is about the side 2 hoses, not the top one... Any pictures/thoughts?

I drilled a hole in it that was just a tiny bit larger than a pencil. I cut the pencil to length, and CA'd it in. Slid my hose over it, and tada! You can use a dowel too, but the pencil was the perfect size for my tubing. It's pretty much the same thing as the 2 on the side.

Yeah, I used the dowel method. I drilled a hole in the back end of the resin piece. It's better to use a smaller drill bit at first, so that the resin doesn't crack.

Using JB Weld, I glued in a small piece of dowel (probably 2-3" in length), and the hose fits right over it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back