Fixing Pitting?

I have some new castings and it has some pitting on a few pieces. What is the best way to fix this? I have read that Elmers white glue works well... is this true?

20150601_205726.jpg

You would be better off with a filler (like bondo or similar) this way you can sand it smooth, I wouldn't use elmers, it's a great glue and can be used as a sealer but not on castings (I have known some to use it to seal L200 EVA foam or worbla...I'm more a fan of Mod'podge for that purpose)
Elmers glue is not great at sanding smooth.....
If you don't mind spending extra money, you could use multiple coats of 'filler primer'. you will have to wait for each layer to cure, sand then respray till you are happy.
Just remember to clean your casting properly to make sure there isn't any release agent left on it.... this can effect paint and fillers

Like Zero said there are better fillers out there than Elmer's glue. Tamiya Filler works well I believe for that.

Tamiya is a model filler, so a hobbie shop. Comes in small tubes and has a slow dry time
Bondo you can get from a hardware store, or car supply shop (its a body filler). Comes in large cans from 100ml up, its a two part and sets fast so always use in small amounts at a time.

Easy way to fix any pitting is Spot or Glazing Putty. It is cheap, $5 for 5 oz, rub in and dries in minutes, it is the same thing you use to fix sand lines or pits in Bondo. It can be picked up any where (Walmart, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.)

Looks like this

8205072_zps5csvqzdb.jpg

Easy way to fix any pitting is Spot or Glazing Putty. It is cheap, $5 for 5 oz, rub in and dries in minutes, it is the same thing you use to fix sand lines or pits in Bondo. It can be picked up any where (Walmart, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.)

Looks like this

8205072_zps5csvqzdb.jpg

that's the stuff! you can find it at walmart, true value or ace hardware, or any automotive parts store.

Last edited by a moderator:
you've probably got something similar to it. ask at an auto parts store if they have some sort of glazing putty or body filler.

It should be noted that the glazing spot putty DOES NOT HARDEN like bondo. It does get hard, but never truly cures. Thick areas of this stuff will not work under paint, and will ruin a paint job. It is intended to be what it is- SPOT putty, for small spots, not a surface filler. Ive had this stuff soften up from the solvents in enamel, it's a disaster. Turns everything into a slimy mess. If it were me, I would use my finger and smear either bondo, or my favorite stuff, Icing into the spots and get sanding afterwards. I only use glazing putty when absolutely necessary.

This stuff is a little thinner than bondo, and cures harder,

In my opinion the bondo Clay party is terriblein my opinion the bondo plays party is terrible it takes too long to drive if you by just bondo filler or better yet bondo cream from a paint or auto supply store you can mix it feel it and it will be cured in santa boy in 20 minutes to a half hour

Sent from my HTC One

Ok. Voice to text sucks. Glazing creme sucks. Use real body filler with hardener creme. It will cure faster and be sandable. Spit putty won't dry when put on thick.

Sent from my HTC One

At least the voice to text is humorous lol.
May have already been said, but you'll find more once the part is primered too. Best to plan on fixing them in waves/rounds.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back