Exterior Helmet Lights

Dha Syntir

Active Hunter
I was wondering if anyone else has either thought about, or already has designed an exterior light on their helmets? Kind of like the Republic Commando's have on the left (I believe) side of the helmet. I figure that it shouldn't be that hard to rig up a couple leds or take apart a led flashlight and rig it into our helmet. Thoughts? When it comes to electrical work I always defer to others as I just usually get zapped if I don't-lesson learned...It seems to me that I've seen a couple other folks with a similar light either here or on other boards. I was hoping to speak with them about how they did theirs and see if anyone else has any other ideas about how to set a light up. But, I want the light to be Very unobtrusive-preferably somehow it blends in with the earpiece and is barely seen. I don't want it to look like I glued a maglight to the side of my bucket with wires hanging out...:lol: I'm sure many of you brilliant and creative folks might have an idea or two, and if so I'd definitely love to hear them...Thanks everyone.

I thought maybe it was your bucket that I saw, over at HV&M...I actually think I had that very light, or one a whole lot like it in my hand the other day. I've become a regular at Radio Shack lately, buying leds, switches, fans, etc. I'm trying to get everything prepared to wire up my helmet after I get done weathering/painting and get the visor set in place. I may have to look into that light again and see if i can cut it down some, making it a little more unobtrusive on the ol buy'ce...:D

I'd like to see what you come up with. I'd love to be able to hook up some kind of servo or something so I could control remotely from a gauntlet or even better, from inside the helmet...

Here's my idea... Get a spygear ear light and work it into the shape of the bucket with Bondo. Just cut the clip off that goes over the ear. I forget how the battery goes in it, but you may have to make the piece detachable, with magnets or something.

74106.gif

Then, cut some kind of slots in the bucket, put a piece of thin white plastic over the slots on the inside, and rig up a Luxeon 1w LED. You'd just have to cover the inside with duct tape or something so the internal light doesn't shine through the visor.

Its a pretty cool effect, I did it to a paintball mask a while back for ****'s and giggles. I'll post back in a few with a pic.

Both things I mentioned can be done really cheap, BTW.

-Shawn

Okay, I couldn't find the mask pic... But I did a quick example for ya. This is the same method that we all use for lighting LED sabers. If you've ever seen a MR saber, well its just like that, only tweaked a bit so we can have removable blades.

Sorry for the poor photo quality, its hard to photograph these lights. They are so bright that they come out looking white sometimes. That and I did this in only a few seconds.

The dull spot in the light is where the tape is overlapping the paper on the back. Normally, it wouldn't be there, but like I said its just quick example. ;)

PICT0001.gif

PICT0004.gif

PICT0009.gif

Hey all!
It's always a long time between posts for me but I don't have internet access. You guys are still looking great, and my armor is coming along nicely. I'm also happy to announce: my wife and I will be bringing a little Mando into the world around the first week of Dec!

Anyway, I'm draging out this old thread because this is what I used in my custom bucket. I used the kids bike helmet route and bondoed up all the holes but the front two, then mounted these babies inside, flush, pointing out. It's pretty wicked!
TerraLUX_tle300_med.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back