ESB helmet paint up, be nice I'm new at this !

LB66679

Hunter
First time ever doing layered paint was my fett armor so this whole process is new to me . I'm pretty happy with where I'm at with this so far seeing as the back panels look to be the hardest . I need to go back in with a fine brush and add some more silver in the right rear as I think I masked it wrong on one of the stages . Noting a little more paint can't fix !
image.jpeg
Started here , animefan budget helmet . Best fett helmet I've personally seen and it fits my stupid big head !
image.jpeg

Trimmed , sanded and primed ! Forgot to take a photo of the silver being laid down and it all taped off .

image.jpeg

Silver and base grey down .
image.jpeg

Was as a little too thin with the dark grey so it ran a little , can't tell anymore which is good ! Never used an air brush before so this is all new

image.jpeg

This is is where I'm at now , as stated before there needs to be more silver in the back damage . I think I got a little lost when I did the templates and masking ? I'm happy with it so far and I know it's not perfect but it's my first fett helmet so I think I'm doing ok ?!

Yeah, you're doing okay. Some of the dark grey looks a little over sized to my eye but all in all I think it's coming along. I think most of us start on the back panel although I actually found the red trim and keyslot areas to be just as tough. There's a lot going on in those red sections and you're still looking at four main colours to work with so the same number of layers as the back panels plus they're more difficult to mask off than the back panels. There's also a lot more area than you'd think at first however that said I reckon a nice set of decent back panels are quite heartening to see.

More please.

Yeah, you're doing okay. Some of the dark grey looks a little over sized to my eye but all in all I think it's coming along. I think most of us start on the back panel although I actually found the red trim and keyslot areas to be just as tough. There's a lot going on in those red sections and you're still looking at four main colours to work with so the same number of layers as the back panels plus they're more difficult to mask off than the back panels. There's also a lot more area than you'd think at first however that said I reckon a nice set of decent back panels are quite heartening to see.

More please.

thank you !! i still need to paint the last layer on the back and go in with a fine brush and tighten every thing up and weather it then clear it . i apparently forgot to order the back colors so i had to stop so im waiting for that to show up before i can post more otherwise id have the back panels done already , only been two days of work so far !! ill have to look at the other panels a little more to see the detail they just seemed to be a little easier but thats what i thought going into this hahaha thank you for your input though i appreciate it !!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Got got the back panels finished and cleared . Something went wrong with the primer so i can't apply tape or it will pull the paint off the back . Now I have to strategically mask and paint the rest of the helmet .

It's not bad and is a decent first go but I'll echo my earlier comment about oversizing e.g.the stripes are definitely too big; they shouldn't wrap that far around the helmet and there should be a clear gap between the bottom of the stripes and the red band. Colours could also use some refinement. I'm not trying to be unkind but rather offer constructive comments for improvement. My own first attempt wasn't great. I messed some areas right up, especially the dent... like that's not important.

Great first go around LB!! Did you get decals for the kill stripes? I did and they were way too oversized so I'm just gonna paint mine in :)

thank you !! yeah they are decals i really should take them off and paint the kill stripes on i just am too lazy and completely over masking the helmet off hahaha been masked about 100 times already !

thank you !! yeah they are decals i really should take them off and paint the kill stripes on i just am too lazy and completely over masking the helmet off hahaha been masked about 100 times already !

I feel you there brother! I'm not 100% happy with the red I laid down for the mandibles and really don't want to re-mask and re-paint. But...I'm probably going to.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back