ESB Boba Fett Helmet - Scratch Build - Constructive Criticism Wanted!

Tom Walker

New Hunter
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now and thought it best to join properly.

Not so long ago someone approached me about building an ESB Boba Fett helmet (and being a big star wars fan I jumped at the request!).
I decided to go down the scratch building method, as I like a challenge. Only after I started and spent some time on here, I realised how many little details and features make the relativity simple looking helmet what it is.

I started off working to these dimensions:


With a mix of these:


And then made tweaks to suit the ESB reference imagery I found here:


Here is my progress so far:

175532


175533


Initial cardboard model to get a rough size and shape.


175534


175535


A coat of resin, a few scrapes of body filler and a standard "look what I'm making" photo.

175536


175537


Refining a few details with some 1mm foamex.

175538


175539


Using Fusion 360 I drew up the ear details and 3D printed them.

175540


175541


175542


175543


A few coats of primer and I started on the dent. I cut the dent shape out with a drill and dremel, then build it back in with slices of 1mm foamex. The forehead arrows were engraved in with a dremel.

175544


The rangefinder top was drawn up and 3D printed like the ears. The stalk was cut on a CNC router at my work. The top of the RF is in 3 parts to allow me to cast the 'perspex block' in clear resin.

175545


Though not installed yet, I turned the borden connector on a lathe ready for moulding and casting

175546


175547


175548


175549


175550


This is the helmet as it stands at the moment (sorry for low res phone pics). I still need to add the little cheek rectangle and sharpen up a few parts, but thought it would be good to get some constructive criticism before going any further.

Please be gentle! :)
 
Last edited:
Top