ESB Armor Paintup (Model Master & Vallejo Paint)

In addition to using non humbrol colors for my ESB Fett, I have also went to Tamiya Field Grey spray paint for both the Gauntlets and Jetpack. Keep in mind the regular bottled Tamiya Field Grey for the airbrush or brush DOES NOT dry the same, it dries darker. This Tamiya spray can sprays on smoothly and dries quickly. You will need approx 5 cans of it to cover both your jetpack and gauntlets.

G1.jpg
G2.jpg
g3.jpg
g4.jpg
J1.jpg
j2.jpg
j3.jpg
j4.jpg
j5.jpg

View attachment 155130 View attachment 155131

After spraying the armor silver and masking, I decided to go with Zinc Chromate for the yellow damage, which many others have done before. The Model Master Reefer Yellow was way too bright. I experimented by using putting 3 drops of Neutral Grey into the Reefer Yellow and mixed. Luckily, it was a near perfect match to Zinc Chromate so the Reefer Yellow did not have to go to waste. So if you cant find Zinc Chromate, mixing the Reefer Yellow could be an option.

View attachment 155137 View attachment 155138 View attachment 155139 View attachment 155140

Now that the masking part is done, it was time to lay down some green. I took some advise from Lane's (Raizo Fett) paint up and decided to go with Model Master paint mix of Euro 1 Dark Green and Medium Green. After playing with the paint and comparing it with my current armor color. I opted for a full bottle of Euro Dark Green mixed with 1/3 bottle of Medium Green....so 3 to 1 ratio? Here was my result:
View attachment 155141
What number is the medium green you used by model master?

Tfett40 - I wanted to say thanks for your informative post. I'm now at the point of starting my paint and this is an absolute clinic on not only how to do it, but do it right. Thanks again!

View attachment 155130 View attachment 155131

After spraying the armor silver and masking, I decided to go with Zinc Chromate for the yellow damage, which many others have done before. The Model Master Reefer Yellow was way too bright. I experimented by using putting 3 drops of Neutral Grey into the Reefer Yellow and mixed. Luckily, it was a near perfect match to Zinc Chromate so the Reefer Yellow did not have to go to waste. So if you cant find Zinc Chromate, mixing the Reefer Yellow could be an option.

View attachment 155137 View attachment 155138 View attachment 155139 View attachment 155140

Now that the masking part is done, it was time to lay down some green. I took some advise from Lane's (Raizo Fett) paint up and decided to go with Model Master paint mix of Euro 1 Dark Green and Medium Green. After playing with the paint and comparing it with my current armor color. I opted for a full bottle of Euro Dark Green mixed with 1/3 bottle of Medium Green....so 3 to 1 ratio? Here was my result:
View attachment 155141
What model master number is the medium green you used to mix with the euro green?

Damn, I wish I'd found this thread before I started painting my armor. This is like a master class tutorial right here. Phenomenal work! Simply lovely. I'll definitely take it to heart when painting the rest of my armor.

Josh

Ok. I have to say this is awesome!
I have about 95% of my ESB armor and accessories stored in boxes right now. I have been scared to start paining and assembling.
I've searched through various threads looking for painting tutorials, proper colours, etc, and it is difficult to nail down exact details on everything as people don't show to much or the data (paint colors) are several years old and being contested.

Anyways....

You have officially pushed me to start painting!

What model master number is the medium green you used to mix with the euro green?
The problem you are going to have is Model Masters stopped producing their paint line and they been sold out for over a year.
However, the numbers are:
Euro Dark Green 4729
Medium Green 4734

I have transitioned to using
Mission Model Acrylics Paints. They have a very similar paint selection.

Ok. I have to say this is awesome!
I have about 95% of my ESB armor and accessories stored in boxes right now. I have been scared to start paining and assembling.
I've searched through various threads looking for painting tutorials, proper colours, etc, and it is difficult to nail down exact details on everything as people don't show to much or the data (paint colors) are several years old and being contested.

Anyways....

You have officially pushed me to start painting!
Awesome, best of luck and glad this helped out.

The problem you are going to have is Model Masters stopped producing their paint line and they been sold out for over a year.
However, the numbers are:
Euro Dark Green 4729
Medium Green 4734

I have transitioned to using
Mission Model Acrylics Paints. They have a very similar paint selection.
Yeah, I found that out when I had to order Euro Green from some place out of Australia! Haha. Oh well, now the hunt is on for medium green I suppose

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back