Deciding the best way to make a helmet

6footFett

New Hunter
I have been wanting to make a ESB Boba Fett helmet for quite sometime but I am unsure where to start. I have found resin kits on Etsy but they are out of my price range. Is there any alternative that I can do that is affordable?

The first thing I would figure out is what your budget is and how "good" of a helmet you're trying to build.

I've considered scratch building one in the past but after weighing the options I decided to save up and buy a helmet kit. It's totally worth it in my opinion.

While there are so many great templates and resources for scratch building, it does take some time and materials but mostly time. I figured between the time it takes to research, fabricate, fiberglass, sand, etc. and the cost of materials the kit is your best bet.

And unless you plan on scratch building EVERYTHING you still are going to have to buy certain parts like some of the greeblies, visor, and range finder bits.

I'm not trying to dissuade you or anybody trying to scratch build pieces, it's just that there are a lot of options that have to be considered.

Hopefully this helps!

What are your goals for the helmet? It really boils down to a few things?

1) Do you plan on joining the 501st? If you're answer is no you have a few options:

- Scratch build. It's going to be a pain, incredibly frustrating and in the long run not as cheap and no where as accurate as you'd want.
- Buying a kit and painting it yourself or commissioning. Painting it yourself would be way cheaper but may not turn out as nicely as you'd want. Still looking at a price range of $250-$1,500 all said and done between those options.
- Consider pre-ordering an ESB Black Series helmet ($125) or higher end eFx helmet ($400) both leaving you with a somewhat accurate and displayable helmet.

The first thing I would figure out is what your budget is and how "good" of a helmet you're trying to build.

I've considered scratch building one in the past but after weighing the options I decided to save up and buy a helmet kit. It's totally worth it in my opinion.

While there are so many great templates and resources for scratch building, it does take some time and materials but mostly time. I figured between the time it takes to research, fabricate, fiberglass, sand, etc. and the cost of materials the kit is your best bet.

And unless you plan on scratch building EVERYTHING you still are going to have to buy certain parts like some of the greeblies, visor, and range finder bits.

I'm not trying to dissuade you or anybody trying to scratch build pieces, it's just that there are a lot of options that have to be considered.

Hopefully this helps!
My budget is around 250$ and I want a pretty accurate helmet. I wanted to build everything from scratch, Im a pretty tall dude and I doubt there would be an armor maker who makes the body armor in my size affordably. And no worries I knew this was going to be though to get into so thanks for your help!

What are your goals for the helmet? It really boils down to a few things?

1) Do you plan on joining the 501st? If you're answer is no you have a few options:

- Scratch build. It's going to be a pain, incredibly frustrating and in the long run not as cheap and no where as accurate as you'd want.
- Buying a kit and painting it yourself or commissioning. Painting it yourself would be way cheaper but may not turn out as nicely as you'd want. Still looking at a price range of $250-$1,500 all said and done between those options.
- Consider pre-ordering an ESB Black Series helmet ($125) or higher end eFx helmet ($400) both leaving you with a somewhat accurate and displayable helmet.
I dont think I will join the 501st at least now. Painting the helmet is something that I want to do so I am okay with it not turning out so good. My only concern about buying a kit is the health concerns. I have heard some pretty nasty things about resin, but correct me if I'm wrong.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back