DeathProof's ROTJ Fett: BH-32794

To say that you "set the bar" would be an understatement. Very well done on the creation of your fett, on the year of events, and on your documentation of the process. I, as well as others, will likely be referencing this thread for years to come.

Happy New Year!

Taking a closer look I'm seeing how much that flight suit fits you perfectly, was it ordered from another member with your measurements? How many adjustments did you have to make and where?

@dms54nyc
The flight suit is from Arkady and is made to my measurements. I didn't need to take it in anywhere else :) She's really good at what she does. Just be sure to measure yourself properly beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update : Armor Painting

I'm plugging away at painting the armor to meet my deadline. So far, so good. I had some issues with my masking fluid - be sure to put on a GOOD COAT. In trying to do some of the finer lines, I neglected to put on a decent coat of masking fluid, thus it not doing a good enough job. Those fine lines I will bring in later topically. I'm also still getting used to finding the sweet paint to thinner ratio for enamel paints. I finally got used to it, but it definitely was a learning curve.

Here is the armor all silvered up:

11001535_789892983901_6918030651752801027_o.jpg

This is what 2 hours of trimming, resizing and measuring looks like:

10974294_789915703371_1511500592305712283_o.jpg

Silver masked, peeled, yellow sprayed and masked.

10845612_790238731021_6001467803104793926_o.jpg

The armor as it is today. Gotta finish peeling the kidney and back, apply the decals, and then start to really have fun with weathering. When applying the decals, there is clear transfer paper around the skull and Fett symbol....does this just go on or do I have to trim it? It looks pretty glossy...

Edit - Nevermind...transfer paper comes off.....yup. I'm tired.. :)

IMG_0509.jpg

Hard at work :)

IMG_0506.jpg

What were the greens and finishes/topcoat you used on your armor? I love the dusty look you achieved and want to do the same on mine. I have an airbrush in case you used enamels but I've always done cans. I want to make sure I do what you did because I love your end result. Thanks man!

@El Fett

These are the paints I used:

paintlist.jpg

The XF-65 Flat Field Grey is an acrylic whereas everything else is enamel. Everything had a Testor's Dullcote topcoat to protect it.

THANK YOU for taking the time to reply, amigo. I'll be stopping by a hobby store to pick all these up tonight!

Your alway very generous with your time Deathproof, cheers a tonne and really helps contribute to this great community. Plus your kit is killer, BUT I'm hot on your trail brutha LoL

@El Fett
Good luck and have fun! Hope you got more than one :) It's a big container, but I think I went through at least 2.

@Silverstalker
Yes, that's what I used for the main green for ROTJ.

Keep in mind that it will look really 'green' still after you lay it down. Mucho weathering still required :)

Update :: Suiting up!

Ok, so I had a few members curious about the whole suiting up process, so since I was doing a dress rehearsal anyway I decided to video tape it. I figured it would be a learning experience for me as well as I double checked all the gear. I did make one fun mistake by not putting on my balaclava on before my neck seal. I'm such a rookie.

Also note that my voice amp is not at the correct volume - I didn't know how the sound was going to come out on the video so I didn't want you to be confused as to what I was saying because of the voice changer.

If you do have further questions, please ask. I tried to keep the video to around the 10 minute mark so as to not put people to sleep, but because the suit takes twice as long to put on, I had to make some rough cuts to fit that timeframe. Now that I look at the video a few times, some points like attaching the jetpack could have been flushed out more. Overall, it takes time, so be patient and make sure you communicate with your handler.

Keep in mind that this is just how I suit up. Don't take it as the only way to do it. What works for some might not work for others. :)

Alright, that being said....

View attachment 86383

Here is another video I mentioned I did for JC27 on how to attach the jetpack straps:

Edit :: Emergency Kit

Another thing I would like to add is to be prepared for longer troops. Fan Expo is a full weekend event in a different city, so if something goes wrong with the suit, it would be good to have a way to fix the problem. I've made a little "emergency" kit just in case (and this should go for any costume that you travel with!).

In the kit:

• Velcro
  • Small sewing kit
  • Duct tape
  • Double sided tape
  • Super glue
  • Additional batteries (my suit takes 3x 9v and 8x AA)
  • Sharpie
  • Flashlight
  • X-acto blade
  • Band-aids
  • Rubber bands
  • Febreeze (since I won't be putting the soft stuff in the wash)
  • Bendy straws - so you don't have to take your helmet off to drink!
Great videos man a huge help thank you.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910P

I have another question: Did you just use water to thin the Tamiya paint or a bit of thinner too? If so, what brand? Thanks again!!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back