Cooling Fan - Wiring & battery

Malkavian

Hunter
So I am looking at some low profile 40x40mm fans. They run on 12V. I don't know how to pair them up to a battery. I want a battery that I can recharge by plugging into a wall then plug into my helmet wiring (if such a battery exist?). What kind of switch do I get?

Most fan systems run off of either a 3 AA or a 4 AA battery pack. If you decided to set your up like that you can use the rechargeable AA batteries that will normally come with a wall mount charger. I know crumdum has some fan kits with a rechargeable battery in the cargo hold right now. That being said I have no clue about how to wire it up but he may be able to point you in the right direction with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of batteries out there that can do that, it all depends on what you want done within the system. Fans are not incredibly complex, but their power draw and how much power they use is something you will learn over time. Where the stuff gets a little more crazy is when you try to link up various different battery types to a system. LEDs generally will not function if under voltage...but if over voltage most electronics will fry. 4 AA batteries linked in a series can have a different voltage depending on if they are Alkaline, Nickel, or Lithium. Knowing what battery type you can use is pretty critical before going out and buying batteries.

crumdum....whats the difference in set-ups for batteries with 12v & 5v fans ?
There are plenty of batteries out there that can do that, it all depends on what you want done within the system. Fans are not incredibly complex, but their power draw and how much power they use is something you will learn over time. Where the stuff gets a little more crazy is when you try to link up various different battery types to a system. LEDs generally will not function if under voltage...but if over voltage most electronics will fry. 4 AA batteries linked in a series can have a different voltage depending on if they are Alkaline, Nickel, or Lithium. Knowing what battery type you can use is pretty critical before going out and buying batteries.

crumdum....whats the difference in set-ups for batteries with 12v & 5v fans ?
At a basic level voltage. Typically fans that use 12v of current move air faster then 6v or 5.5v fans (geared for use via USB powered devices). Everything else varies on wiring. For instance, you could achieve 12v wiring 2 AA batteries and a 9v in a series (not something I recommend for amperage as there are better options out there). The Salamanderking remote servo kit operates off of 18v via wiring 2 9v batteries in a series.

Sent from my SM-G930V

i assume the (2) aa = 3v and then the 9v makes 12v....makes since thanks for the info. I think it will be easier to just get one of your kits !!!
At a basic level voltage. Typically fans that use 12v of current move air faster then 6v or 5.5v fans (geared for use via USB powered devices). Everything else varies on wiring. For instance, you could achieve 12v wiring 2 AA batteries and a 9v in a series (not something I recommend for amperage as there are better options out there). The Salamanderking remote servo kit operates off of 18v via wiring 2 9v batteries in a series.

Sent from my SM-G930V

It all depends on the batteries used. Most alkaline AA batteries start at 1.5v and go down to as low as 1.1 after extended use. Some Lithium rechargeable batteries run at 1.8v...this is one of the reasons it's not recommended to use lithium rechargeable AA batteries in some devices.

Sent from my SM-G930V

thanks for the tech talk ! who knew something with only 2 wires could be so complicated to energize lol
It all depends on the batteries used. Most alkaline AA batteries start at 1.5v and go down to as low as 1.1 after extended use. Some Lithium rechargeable batteries run at 1.8v...this is one of the reasons it's not recommended to use lithium rechargeable AA batteries in some devices.

Sent from my SM-G930V

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back