Bobamaker V4 Helmet Kit

clown3y

Hunter
Hi!

Last Friday, I received my Bobamaker V4 Helmet after just three weeks of waiting.

Because there aren't that many resources for this piece yet, I wanted to post a few more pictures of it to maybe make the decision easier for a few people.

The Bobamaker V4 helmet kit

I am honestly convinced that this helmet is among the best ESB helmets that have come out at this point and I am really glad that I got it. The shape of the dome, the flare, the level of detail and the overall proportions are just the tip of the iceberg. The build quality and the weight of this piece are fantastic, too. I'm not a fan of the damage that DAZ added on the left side of the helmet, but that will be an easy fix.

00100dportrait_00100_burst2018.jpg

I'm especially impressed by the subtle waviness of the brow. Unlike on other helmets (that are great too, don't get me wrong), on this one, the wave is just a slight dip in the brow and not a full-on wave, which I really like. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted up, which will most likely enhance the visual waviness of the brow, kind of like on the real one.

img_20181113_120756.jpg

img_20181113_1156062.jpg

mvimg_20181113_115359.jpg

Again, I'm amazed by Daz' work and you can absolutely tell that he's been refining his molds for years now. There are lots and lots of tiny details that I never noticed before.

That was of course just a quick look at the helmet. If there is interest for more pictures or if anyone has any question, I'd happily deliver.

Comparison: GMH vs. Bobamaker V4

Here are a few pictures comparing the BM V4 to a Wasted Fett GMH. I tried to take all those pictures with as little of a "warp" as possible to give an impression of the pieces that comes close to the reality (2m away and zoomed in at eye level). However, of course, taking pictures with a camera can't compare to looking at these helmets IRL. I'm comparing both helmets regarding their size, shapes and their proportions. It's of course given that the GMH originates from the PP2 which is wildly different from the ESB helmet that the BM V4 is coming close to.

First and foremost, both helmets are made out of gelcoat and fibreglass, which makes them really solid but fairly light in weight.

img_20181115_140720.jpg

Shape

In this regard, both helmets are mostly similar. The few things that, to me, stand out a bit, are the dome that seems to be a bit more "rounded" in the front section when looking at it from the side and the face on the BM, which goes "straight down", while the GMH gives a rounder impression as well (see picture below). Also, the BM V4 features the "flare" more prominently and the "wavy brow", of course.

img_20181115_151849.jpg

Size and Proportions

While my first impression was that the BM V4 and the GMH are about the same in size and proportions, things started to look a little different to me when looking at both helmets in detail. Especially from the front, you can kind of tell that the GMH is shorter on the bottom. From the top of the visor down, the difference is about 0.75 cm (0.3 inches).

Also, internally, the GMH appears to have a tiny bit less space. I can fit my head comfortably inside both helmets but I can see that people with larger heads could have problems getting into the GMH but managing to get into the BM. From the outside, though, there isn't that much of a difference.

img_20181115_151801.jpg

00000img_00000_burst2018111515.jpg

img_20181115_142045.jpg

Hope this helps! For everything else, just go ahead and ask :)

clown3y

Last edited:
I've seen this on the BM site and have to say I'm super intrigued by this. Looks like it could be larger than previous offering. It's certainly looking very nice.

I've seen this on the BM site and have to say I'm super intrigued by this. Looks like it could be larger than previous offering. It's certainly looking very nice.

Regarding size: I don't have one at hand to compare it to, but I'd say that the BM V4 gets close to an FPH2. I have a GMH coming in soon, I'm going to take a few comparison pictures then.

Regarding size: I don't have one at hand to compare it to, but I'd say that the BM V4 gets close to an FPH2. I have a GMH coming in soon, I'm going to take a few comparison pictures then.

That would be interesting. I recently acquired a FPH2 ESB to look over. Whilst I feel better about it than the ROTJ version I previously owned it still seems to have some obvious size and scaling issues in some areas.

Looks like a substantially larger helmet?

The differences are not as extreme as I expected them to be after reading a lot about the GMH, but they're definitely there. I'm curious about how this will change once both are at least prepped for painting.

Last edited:
Have you done any work on that boba maker lid yet?

Not really! I installed the visor a few days ago, but other than that, I didn't really have any free time due to University and work. I'll ty to make some progress during the holiday.

Thank you for the comparison. Great info to have and nice job with the photos. They look great.

Thank you :) They're both amazing helmets in their own ways. I still can't really decide which one's my favorite, so I'll probably just paint them both ESB style.

thanks for posting this detailed review clown3y. I have started looking for parts and only a couple of days ago became stuck trying to work out which helmet I should choose. That and I keep going back and forth between doing ESB or ROTJ

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back