Bobamaker V3 ROTJ SE (2017) vs Bobamaker VX ROTJ SE (2020)

joe

Active Hunter
I got my Bobamaker helmet today and want to show off some of the differences. I honestly am not sure which one I like better since they both have pros and cons.

I really like the VX since it seems a lot bigger. My V3 I have to put on sideways and then twist it straight. This VX I can just put it on straight on and it's so nice since I have a relatively big head. I'll probably sell one of these, but it's hard since I like them both for different reasons.

It's also important to note... I repainted the rangefinder, colored the borden connector silver, and added the drop of white paint on the right cheek for the V3.

VX on the left and V3 on the right for the next 4 pictures.
v3 vs v4 1.jpg

v3 vs v4 2.jpg

v3 vs v4 3.jpg

v3 vs v4 4.jpg

I'm not sure how much it matters, but you can see this paint job has a lot lighter of paint than the V3 did.
v3 mirror.jpg

v4 mirror.jpg

I also found out there is some warping on the cheeks of my VX. This is intentional.
cheek warp v4.jpg

However, my V3 doesn't have any of that warping.
v3 good cheek.jpg

Is there anyone who can chime in regarding which one is more "accurate"? I noticed the VX has a much less pronounced wavy brow, but the proportions of how skinny the top of the T seems to be more on par with the real helmet.

EDIT:
Here is a couple more with armor on and sunlight instead of bathroom light as a source. My armor is Bobamaker V3.
bobamaker v3 with armor.jpg

bobamaker VX with armor.jpg

Last edited:
I got my Bobamaker helmet today and want to show off some of the differences. I honestly am not sure which one I like better since they both have pros and cons.

I really like the V4 since it seems a lot bigger. My V3 I have to put on sideways and then twist it straight. This V4 I can just put it on straight on and it's so nice since I have a relatively big head. I'll probably sell one of these, but it's hard since I like them both for different reasons.

It's also important to note... I repainted the rangefinder, colored the borden connector silver, and added the drop of white paint on the right cheek for the V3.

V4 on the left and V3 on the right for the next 4 pictures.
View attachment 195714
View attachment 195713
View attachment 195712
View attachment 195711

I'm not sure how much it matters, but you can see this paint job has a lot lighter of paint than the V3 did.
View attachment 195710
View attachment 195709

I also found out there is some warping on the cheeks of my V4.
View attachment 195715
However, my V3 doesn't have any of that warping.
View attachment 195716

Is there anyone who can chime in regarding which one is more "accurate"? I noticed the V4 has a much less pronounced wavy brow, but the proportions of how skinny the top of the T seems to be more on par with the real helmet.
Really cool of you to post that comparasion! I wondered what the differences were with those versions myself. Generally, his website is really good, but one huge downside to me is that it only shows renderings of the products and no actual photos. Thats why I enjoy seeing the real photos so much.
My own helmet is a Bobamaker, but from way back, likely a V1 or V2. Its from around 2012.

Edit: As pointed out by KaanE , BobaMakers Store images are actual product photos. Thank you for pointing that out! After looking at it again, I think you might be right. They just always looked so... so very perfectly lit, etc., that I just assumed to be renderings.

Last edited:
It was hard to tell if the warping was there on some of the other helmets like EFX and MCR-ESB. I was looking at pictures all day yesterday and noticed the EFX had similar warping on the back like his VX does, but it's hard to tell on the cheeks without having the helmets in hand. RafalFett thanks for finding the photos above. I couldn't find them in the 24 page gallery of SWC.

Both of the cheeks warp out and are not straight. The back right side seems to curl in and sort of it. It is asymmetrical in the back.

Is the V4 the same one as the not yet released VX?

I honestly don't know. When I was put on the waitlist it was a V4 like a year-ish ago. I'm asking him now since I know he delivered a helmet to someone else a few months before me and they have a VX, so this might be his VX.

ShortFuse is it confirmed the helmet should be a lighter green? I was looking at the SE promotional shots and I couldn't really tell based on the lighting. It seemed like it could match or not and either would work.

EDIT: Confirmed it's a VX.

Last edited:
Is the V4 the same one as the not yet released VX?

I just confirmed with Daz it's a VX. I didn't realize the sticker on the inside that even says it haha. Apparently the V4 still had the ear pieces molded onto it, versus this one has them screwed in and locked in with nuts.

ShortFuse thanks again for bringing up those Panatone colors. I was sort of upset the colors didn't match my old armor, but looking at these colors it's actually much more accurate for my costume.

I also found some additional photos where I can see the weird curl in the back right has that Daz has in his cast. As well as these full photos seem to show off the cheek/dome is NOT the same color as the armor. Even though y'all already probably know this stuff.

boba from swc.jpg

no flash boba from swc.jpg

boba curl back in.jpg

I just confirmed with Daz it's a VX. I didn't realize the sticker on the inside that even says it haha. Apparently the V4 still had the ear pieces molded onto it, versus this one has them screwed in and locked in with nuts.

ShortFuse thanks again for bringing up those Panatone colors. I was sort of upset the colors didn't match my old armor, but looking at these colors it's actually much more accurate for my costume.

I also found some additional photos where I can see the weird curl in the back right has that Daz has in his cast. As well as these full photos seem to show off the cheek/dome is NOT the same color as the armor. Even though y'all already probably know this stuff.

View attachment 195749
View attachment 195750
View attachment 195748
Good catches and your suit looks GREAT!

Also thank you for calrifying that it is indeed a VX. Ive been wanting to check one of those out!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back