Boba Fett RotJ WIP

Strider - Nice job on the cape! Only things I procured thus far from eBay is the Wookie Braids (which I still need to work on) and a US Army Half Shelter for the Cape! For the cape, the material didn't have the correct stitching so I too it to an alterations place with the 501st CRL Pic. The alterations lady laughed at me when she saw what I was looking to do, but said that the stitching could easily be done. I told her that I'd handle the putting on the grommets and ripping and weathering of the cape and that all that was needed from her was exact stitching. My dimensions of the cape (Since I'll be a 6' 2" ROTJ Boba Fett) will be 48in Long & 29.5in Wide. For that plastic piece, if you don't mind my asking, what did you end up using?

Thanks,
-Iron

Thanks! My part of the shelter wasn't the correct one either as it was from a buddy who used the right part ;-) But the stitiching is really easily done. I didn't take exact measurements as I simply went by fitting it to my height.
You can really use anything with the appropriate thickness for that piece as it's painted anyway but I used 2mm ABS plastic cut in shape.

Quick update and one FAIL :D

Got part of my armor from bobamaker today so the next step will be to paint those up and attach it to the vest via the grommets method:

BM_armor_parts.jpg

Also got this beauty in the mail today from a buddy of mine. It's the ESB blaster but it'll make a nice addition to the collection :)

BF_ESB_Blaster.jpg

And now to my fail of the day; I ordered an original girth belt made of synthetic webbing. The plan was to dye it with iDye poly
in a crimson color which looked quite close. I thought the biggest risk was that dyeing it would not work but actually two things happended. Firstly, the color came out rather pinkish (which I could have fixed with some airbrushing) but more severe it shrunk by app. 25%! I thought that was pretty astonishing since I was under the impression that synthetic fibres don't shrink. Well, you live and learn :D The fabric picked up the color almost instantly so if anybody wants to use that approach in the future I would advise no go over 60 degree (better 40) Celsius.

Luckily I found a really cheap replacement on ebay which I'll just airbrush alltogether - better safe than sorry, lol.

girth_belt_fail.jpg

Last edited:

Got part of my armor from bobamaker today so the next step will be to paint those up and attach it to the vest via the grommets method:

View attachment 189460

Also got this beauty in the mail today from a buddy of mine. It's the ESB blaster but it'll make a nice addition to the collection :)

View attachment 189461

And now to my fail of the day; I ordered an original girth belt made of synthetic webbing. The plan was to dye it with iDye poly
in a crimson color which looked quite close. I thought the biggest risk was that dyeing it would not work but actually two things happended. Firstly, the color came out rather pinkish (which I could have fixed with some airbrushing) but more severe it shrunk by app. 25%! I thought that was pretty astonishing since I was under the impression that synthetic fibres don't shrink. Well, you live and learn :D The fabric picked up the color almost instantly so if anybody wants to use that approach in the future I would advise no go over 60 degree (better 40) Celsius.

Luckily I found a really cheap replacement on ebay which I'll just airbrush alltogether - better safe than sorry, lol.

View attachment 189459
I didnt know it shrinks either. Permanently? Or like maybe after it cools they stretch again?

Strider - I say you should leave the girthbelt as is and rock the pink - start a trend! (Not sure how many follower's you'd get!) Hahaha! I was considering going girth belt route you took too - but I opt'd to go for the ESB GirthBelt by MoW Studios - the color looks very similar to the 501st's ROTJ belt. (Again, for me, I'm not looking to get 501st cert'd - Just want to be super close though). And now after seeing what you're going through, I'm happy with the route I chose. I do wish you the best and hope it comes out to the desired level for ya!

That blaster looks amazing BTW! I also ordered Boba Maker Armor - I received his Cod/Kidney Armor last week and the quality is top notch! The rest of my Boba Maker Armor and Helmet is forthcoming. The pictures you provided of his stuff - Man! I can't wait!

-Iron

I’ve had some girth belt woes too. Currently selling mine cause it’s too small, but I wanted to buy one on amazon and stain it myself. There’s a thread about staining them and figured I’d be able to save a few bucks and knock that out myself!

That being said; not sure how well pink would go over...

I didnt know it shrinks either. Permanently? Or like maybe after it cools they stretch again?

Nope, unfortunately not...

Strider - I say you should leave the girthbelt as is and rock the pink - start a trend! (Not sure how many follower's you'd get!) Hahaha! I was considering going girth belt route you took too - but I opt'd to go for the ESB GirthBelt by MoW Studios - the color looks very similar to the 501st's ROTJ belt. (Again, for me, I'm not looking to get 501st cert'd - Just want to be super close though). And now after seeing what you're going through, I'm happy with the route I chose. I do wish you the best and hope it comes out to the desired level for ya!

That blaster looks amazing BTW! I also ordered Boba Maker Armor - I received his Cod/Kidney Armor last week and the quality is top notch! The rest of my Boba Maker Armor and Helmet is forthcoming. The pictures you provided of his stuff - Man! I can't wait!

-Iron

Yeah, the Pink Warrior...Nah, I don't think so :lol: Well, I like to make stuff and try out new things to further develop my skills and of course failure is always part of that process.
Yes, the Bobamaker stuff is great. Also he's super reliable and responsive. I don't mind waiting for his stuff because I know he will deliver on time and drama free. Next delivery scheduled for June :D But I've got enough stuff on the working bench to keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

I’ve had some girth belt woes too. Currently selling mine cause it’s too small, but I wanted to buy one on amazon and stain it myself. There’s a thread about staining them and figured I’d be able to save a few bucks and knock that out myself!

That being said; not sure how well pink would go over...

Yes, some people had great results with the wood stain approach. The reason I've tried something different was for one because my belt was made of synthetic and not natural fibre and the wood stain process did look kind of messy to me. Also the correct wood stain color is hard to get in Europe.

Anyway, I know that airbrushing will work like a charme. The only downside is that it will rub off a bit if you troop with it but since I'm doing it for display only that concern is not so relevant for me.

Btw, the replacement girth belt I found on ebay was only 11 bucks so one can save quite a bit.

You could sell that pink girth belt to someone in the US to wear for breast cancer awareness month. :p
Funny you should mention that. I was considering doing another chest plate with the main color being pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month; my Mother is a survivor!

Thought it would be interesting to switch it out for troops that month or something...

You could sell that pink girth belt to someone in the US to wear for breast cancer awareness month. :p
Funny you should mention that. I was considering doing another chest plate with the main color being pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month; my Mother is a survivor!

Thought it would be interesting to switch it out for troops that month or something...

Well, Boochman you can have it....cheap :lol:

I like it. We wear pink shirts at our department during the month of October. There are also some pink fire trucks that tour different stations for people to sign that are survivors and family members of survivors and those not so blessed.

So, couple of quick updates; I've attatched the armor using RafalFett's template. I've used grommets with an inner diameter of 8mm and nylon chicago screws which I just glued to the armor using e6000. Not 100% accurate but it does the trick :D

Armor_attatchement.jpg

My replacement girth belt came in and this time I just mixed my own humbrol color and airbrushed that thing: worked like a charm!

girth_belt.jpg

Last but not least I used an original PATERSON Print Squeegee (one of the more easily found original parts) and converted it into the shin tools:

Shin_tools.jpg

So, couple of quick updates; I've attatched the armor using RafalFett's template. I've used grommets with an inner diameter of 8mm and nylon chicago screws which I just glued to the armor using e6000. Not 100% accurate but it does the trick :D

View attachment 190588

My replacement girth belt came in and this time I just mixed my own humbrol color and airbrushed that thing: worked like a charm!

View attachment 190589

Last but not least I used an original PATERSON Print Squeegee (one of the more easily found original parts) and converted it into the shin tools:

View attachment 190590

3A285FD4-DF6F-4C34-B04E-ECE0285DB64A.png

FYI This is the ROTJ version.

roger12RAMJET Ah, right - thanks. I guess I wasn't paying that much attention to it as there's not a single reference image besides the one in the SW visual dictionary (and that's not super reliable IMO as other tools that are depicted there are fictional). Alas, as that's how they show it in the CRL I'm gonna change it ;-)

Just checked the references for the blade shin tool from the Art of Star Wars exhibition (RotJ). We can clearly see that the blade tool does not have the horizontal stripe as depicted in the (fictional) Star Wars dictionary. So if one thing is wrong in there others may be as well.

Boba-Fett-Costume-AoSW-2000-020.jpg

Just checked the references for the blade shin tool from the Art of Star Wars exhibition (RotJ). We can clearly see that the blade tool does not have the horizontal stripe as depicted in the (fictional) Star Wars dictionary. So if one thing is wrong in there others may be as well.

AoSW is not RotJ.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back