DR501st

New Hunter
I have the Boba Fett Black Series Helmet. After getting it, it has really peaked my interest in joining the 501st Legion. One of the guys for my local Garrison said it wouldn’t be approved out of the box, and to check here and see what advice I could get in what modifications I would need to do to it. To me, it looks amazing, straight up amazing. There don’t seem to be any issues with it. Has anyone here had any experience in using that helmet to get into the 501st?

Probably, it will need new ear pieces, all the seams filled, paint errors corrected among other things.

Probably, it will need new ear pieces, all the seams filled, paint errors corrected among other things.

I don’t even see any seams on it though. I may be getting in over my head on this one. I’m all about it looking accurate, but it’s almost impossible for me to tell the difference between the black series helmet that just came out, and other ones that I’ve been told would be instantly approved.

Trust me, there are a lot of differences. The black series is a good helmet for displaying, if you want to join the legion you will need to either get a different helmet or rebuild the BS one from scratch.

I understand. I will definitely be on these forms a lot for help then haha. What are the thoughts on 3D printed helmets when it comes to the league?

I am going to start working on my BS helmet, not for approval but to be more presentable. Replacing right ear and rangefinder, filling seams and adding a MQ-1, borden , and a better interior. Probably not going to mess with the damage though. My kit is ROTJ and I just want this as a display piece. Out of the box this thing is definitely not 501st approvable, by any means. As I disassemble this thing, I realize more and more that this is a toy and not a replica, but hopefully I can make it look a little better.

I understand. I will definitely be on these forms a lot for help then haha. What are the thoughts on 3D printed helmets when it comes to the league?

I am by no means an insider or anything along thos lines regarding the 501st... Not even a member. But I want to help with the little knowledge I have. A buddy that is a already a member with a regular clone is working on the most accurate Republic Commando Costume (Boss) that probably exists. His helmet is a 3D printed one.
Also the costume guidelines to my knowledge allow 3D printed helmets if they are accurate.

What I dont know if any available 3D files are approve-able. RafalFett could know that maybe.
@Rafal... Sorry to always mention you... Its just that I dont know my way around this community so well yet and with everything I read, you always seem like the go-to guy.

Ok. Back to your BS helmet...
To help you with spotting the differences, I'll highlight a few features the good helmes have that are screen accurate and that the BS is missing.
  • The Keyslot area on the back is supposed to feature a electronics board behind them
  • The eye slit on the BS is larger then with the real helmet (probably a safety feature)
  • The right ear is just completely wrong. Im not sure why thesy even did it that way to feature a push button. They must have been able to somehow hide it better...
  • The upper "brow" of the T Visor (in the ESB version) has a wave to it thats not present on the BS
  • The seams already mentioned can be found where the dome meets the visor "brow" and around the ears
hope that helps,
Ram

Last edited:
What I dont know if any available 3D files are approve-able. RafalFett could know that maybe.
@Rafal... Sorry to always mention you... Its just that I dont know my way around this community so well yet and with everything I read, you always seem like the go-to guy.
hope that hels,
Ram

No problemo. I did all my models as close to the originals as I could with all the reference images, blueprints and measurements available to the public. While not perfect, I think that these models are approvable by the 501st.

I wouldn't mess with a 3D print. There are plenty of makers offering really nice fiberglass casts. I would get one of those and that would really cut down on your prep so you can get right into painting.

I wouldn't mess with a 3D print. There are plenty of makers offering really nice fiberglass casts. I would get one of those and that would really cut down on your prep so you can get right into painting.
This.
And I also schould mention, that a 3D print will not be a lot cheaper then a fiberglass helmet if you dont have the technology inhouse.

The BS helm is awesome on it's own, but especially for what it is and how much $ it is.
I have both the BS and the EFX PCR versions, and EFX is hands down, the best authorized Fett replica out there, and probably hanging right up there with any of the known fan mades.
But I decided to mod the BS to a ROTJ version paint job, and although it'll never be 'troopable' w/o severe physical modifications, it is looking damn good, and although I've spent about $100 in paints and supplies, along with the $120 for the helm itself, I'm getting a pretty badass ROTJ helm for the $, with the fun and pride doing it yourself brings, other than the physical helm already being made ( which, although Hasbro cleaned it up some, being scanned from the original prop, isn't a bad lineage to have either). Plus, I am only shooting for modding the BS design to look as good as it can, not change it to something it isn't.

The BS helm is awesome on it's own, but especially for what it is and how much $ it is.
I have both the BS and the EFX PCR versions, and EFX is hands down, the best authorized Fett replica out there, and probably hanging right up there with any of the known fan mades.
But I decided to mod the BS to a ROTJ version paint job, and although it'll never be 'troopable' w/o severe physical modifications, it is looking damn good, and although I've spent about $100 in paints and supplies, along with the $120 for the helm itself, I'm getting a pretty badass ROTJ helm for the $, with the fun and pride doing it yourself brings, other than the physical helm already being made ( which, although Hasbro cleaned it up some, being scanned from the original prop, isn't a bad lineage to have either). Plus, I am only shooting for modding the BS design to look as good as it can, not change it to something it isn't.
I totally get, why you did the BS mod. It is a really cool project and after all... in the grand sceme of things, this entire HOBBY is only a waste of money. But it makes us happy. And if your modding the BS made you happy, then that is what its all about in my opinion!

I can't go along with the EFX bein on par with the best fan mades though... Not at all, especially with the recent options having become available.
The EFX is a cool helmet and a fantastic value proposition, but it does not compare to a real good fan made. In terms of props we go for replicating as close as possible to the original. And the original was fiberglass and EFX also modded a lot of the unique quirks out of the helmet, like the damage that was screen-present, the asymmetries, ...
So when I am thinking of the RS ESB helmet that they showed in a recent video or the MC-ESB that Superjedi painted, or even all of the Fuglys or MFs cleaned up versions out there...

That said, price does play a role. And any of the mentioned helmets will in the end easily be double, if not quadrul the price of an EFX.

And ... all comparasions aside... I sure would like one of those EFXes on display...
And I know that you personally go for licensed products anyways. So there is no arguing in that the EFX is the most on point helmet in that regard.
Ejoy both of your helmets! You did an awesome job so far on the RotJ!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back