BH16972 ROTJ conversion (from SE)

bh19812

Jr Hunter
I am in gauntlet hell right now and I see your damage and paint seems to match the MOM images which is what I am being told is the SE costume. If this is a conversion from SE to hero wouldn't the gauntlet paint and damage have to change? I was shown a few screen shots and promo pics and was told that is the "hero" armor. The MOM matches the SE photos. I'm about to throw this whole costume out the window.
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
I hope it's a easy fix "T" ! I'm going to have to "second" Boochman's nit - picky evaluation !
Your ROTJ looks fantastic and your attention to detail is unsurpassed !!
Thank you Don! The collar is an easy fix. Still trying to figure out the best way to fix the vest.
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
A couple of updates on my build;

Replaced my shoulder straps on the JP harness to white nylon ones.
IMG-20190413-165206-01.jpg


Installed a more accurate JP stabilizer from MachineCraft and removed the dental file.
IMG-20190413-172754.jpg


Installed JP thruster discs from MachineCraft
IMG-20190413-124517-01.jpg

IMG-20190413-164857-01.jpg


My new vest from Arkady arrived!
IMG-20190424-082128-01.jpg


The discrepancies with the shoulder width on the previous one is pretty obvious here and it fits me around the waist a lot better. However the new one will need to be shortened at the bottom. I can only determine the precise amount to remove after the placements of the armor plates have been established.
*To be fair, I must have given Carole bad measurements the first time, resulting in an ill-fitting vest that I was also too lazy to get altered before I punched the grommet holes.
IMG-20190424-083735.jpg


In order to re-align the plastic screws and grommet placements, the screws were removed so I have a clean slate to work with. After this photo, the residual epoxy putty were removed with a rotary tool after this photo. I then sanded the surfaces down with a low grit paper to rough it up so the adhesive will "bite".
IMG-20190424-082548-01.jpg


I had a friend help me mark out the placement points for the armor plates and I installed grommets for the collar first. This will serve as the anchor point from which the chest plates, "diamond" and ab plate will correspond.
IMG-20190428-232117.jpg


Plastic screws were installed on the collar with a two-part epoxy putty. This time, I reinforce them with tape so the screws will remain in place if they pop off the armor from aggressive handling.
IMG-20190428-232224.jpg


In my next post, I will share the grommet and plastic screw installation step-by-step for builders who may be considering this route.
 
Last edited:

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
GROMMET AND SCREW INSTALLATION
There is more than one way to do this, so I'm simply sharing my method.

1. Mark centre line on the front of vest and approximate placement points of armor plates. Placements will be further refined as each plate goes on. I recommend getting a friend to help you since it is ideal to do this with the vest on your body.

2. Use a grommet to trace the holes within the armor plate outlines. As you can see, the guiding outlines are off centre so I'll have to correct this as I install each armor plate.
IMG-20190429-074910.jpg


3. Cut a cross within the grommet outline and cut the quarters to make a hole.
IMG-20190429-074838.jpg

IMG-20190429-074819.jpg


4. Insert the screw assembly and fasten with nut.
IMG-20190429-075349.jpg

IMG-20190429-075541.jpg


5. Affix blu tack on the base of the screw assembly. These will be contact points for your armor plate.
IMG-20190429-075620.jpg


6. Wear the vest, use a mirror to ascertain placement of the armor plate and press it down against the blu tack. Remember to mind the centre line.
IMG-20190429-080036.jpg


6. Remove the vest, unfasten the nut and trace the base of the screw assembly on the armor plate.
IMG-20190429-080343.jpg

IMG-20190429-080408.jpg


8. Affix the screw assembly to the armor plate with an adhesive of choice. I use a two-part epoxy putty and leave it for 24 hours before handling. I recommend sanding the surface with a coarse grit paper for better 'grip'.
IMG-20190429-080552.jpg

IMG-20190429-101958.jpg


9. The grommets may now be installed following the usual method.
IMG-20190429-074746.jpg


The grommet ring is upside down in this photo. Doh!
IMG-20190429-074729.jpg

IMG-20190429-102023.jpg


That's it! Now repeat for the rest of the armor plates going from top to bottom. I hope this is clear and is actually helpful to someone out there.
 
Last edited:
Very nice work. I am in the process of getting the grommets, plastic M5 screws thanks for that info. .05mm plastic sheet to make the cut outs. When I do it I hope I don't jack it up. LOL
 

bh19812

Jr Hunter
Sewed the braids to my vest with fishing lines.
View attachment 161949
View attachment 161950

Any chance you could take a close up of the place you sewed the scalps to the vest. Are they laid out side by side or stacked, and if stacked in what order. No one really takes close ups that I have seen of this placement. In all the photos the braids move around so much it is hard to see how and where they connect. Thanks!
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Sewed the braids to my vest with fishing lines.
View attachment 161949
View attachment 161950

Any chance you could take a close up of the place you sewed the scalps to the vest. Are they laid out side by side or stacked, and if stacked in what order. No one really takes close ups that I have seen of this placement. In all the photos the braids move around so much it is hard to see how and where they connect. Thanks!
The close up photo is in the post you quoted. But here it is anyway;
20180318-153630-01.jpg


Hope this helps. Btw, do not use fishing lines like I did! I've found that the correct way is to use black thread.
 
Top