General Backplate issue

scrap the middle, working up for clearances. I've lost weight. girth belt too long, BM pieces cod and kidney too long. Bobamakers cod & kidney pieces meet up at a weird angle <_> ... instead of (_). Tried binding cod & kidney for a week, to no avail. Next step kerf the insides of the cod and kidney pieces, then reinforicing with athin layer of fiberglass.
Restrung the girth, took about 4" out to shorten it. Was suprised that each buckle section is one super long cord braided around the buckles. I did study the girth before taking it apart, made some rough drawings to put it back together. Removed the extra webbing, restrung the one long cord and finished it off by finding a ink pen of the same size with a little piece of duct tape around the pen tip and end of cord, yanking the pen thru the knots with the cord, retightening the knots and finishing off with dabs of hot glue at the cord end pieces. After shortening the girth and removing the webbing I did needle and thread thru the cords to keep it looking uniform and keeping the cords from slacking. Bonus for me, more tools to buy, I attached screen accurate black straps, got to get me a hot glue gun to make buckle holes. Still slowly kerfing cod piece.

photos unavailable currently, cpu and laptop acting wonking... but kerfing the cod piece and kindey piece worked great, took thin slices about a 1/4 " apart with a hacksaw along the thinner pieces, slapped a camping strap around each piece to adjust to my new width, threw some fiberglass fabric and resin, let them hardend... excellent... took about 2" from each side. Both cod and kidney now butt against each other, threw some velcor at all sides... perfect fit. Note for others: After kerfing the cod and kidney pieces you will have kerf marks showing on the top and bottom of your pieces... your girth belt will cover the top kerfs, the bottom kerfs will not show, unless you are cod height or being nosey... I might throw some paint at the kerf marks to learn some weathering skills...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back