Armor Attachment Method: Jewelry Pins with Clutch Backs.

Which ones? The ones with the set screws or the pull type?

I've used the pull type and they are much more secure than the standard ones the pins come with. Have you had to trim your return edge on the armor to accommodate the pins?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a super cool idea, I think with the ones Armydad suggests it might be the way to go!

I'm definitely doing this for my armour. Looks super easy, great idea!

Sent from my SM-G925I

I may have to go this route too, when I come to it. Thanks for the new method tip!

View attachment 102913

I believe this is what you are talking about? I found these on ebay...(12) for about $4.00

- - - Updated - - -

Also, found these!

View attachment 102914

I'm interested if anyone has had first hand experience with any of these locking pin backs?

Yep those are exactly what I was talking about. I was also going to mention the second type you found but I couldn't think of a way to describe them well enough lol. I've used both and both work very well. The benefit of the second type you posted is that they base where it will meet the fabric is wide so it's less likely to pull through the fabric as I've had the top ones do. It's very seldom and only happens when you get a pin stuck on something and give it a good pull. Which that in itself gives testament to how well they will lock on.

Maybe you could use CA glue to hold the tacks in place, then goop some JB or epoxy on top of them? Does anyone have a link for the clutch cap things at the bottom of the picture? Where to buy? Armydad?

Did you attach the shoulder armor the same way? Or, did you go with velcro?

Just attached the shoulder armor and I really think this is a great alternative to Velcro, especially once I recieve the locking pin backs.

image.jpeg

As as posted on my Instagram @Fettastic22

image.jpeg

I've used the pull type and they are much more secure than the standard ones the pins come with. Have you had to trim your return edge on the armor to accommodate the pins?

No trimming necessary on the return edge. At least not on my armor. Just follow the application steps and in 1 hour the glue has fully cured and you are ready to pin on your flak vest. Super easy.

I got the locking backs for the pins and they are 100% better! Much harder to remove. I'm tempted to buy some of the locking backs with set screws just to compare. The thing I like about this pull style locking back is that they are smooth and not bulky at all. Even though it adds to the expense of the project I say it's definitely worth it! I purchased 50 of these locking pin backs for $15 on eBay and even with the original pins I'm still under $30. For the ease of installation and versatility and removability I think it's well worth it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back