And here we go: jedisushi's 501st APPROVED (!) ESB

Okay, the first batch of comments are in from my GML. There aren't a ton, and they are mostly easy to deal with—but there a few that have me scratching my head.

First, I got the "your rocket is too copper" comment. I'm hoping we can get some clarification here, because honestly I think anyone with eyes can see this is a little ridiculous. So much of this comes down to lighting. :confused:

Next, they'd like me to pull my shoulder armor up higher on the arms. I'm happy to do this, though I think it will throw off the relationship between the shoulders / chest / collar. But I'll gladly give it a go.

Third, I guess the snaps on my ammo belt aren't dark enough (photo attached). They are definitely not bare/plain nickel. What paint do folks recommend to get these right (assuming you agree :p )?

Image from iOS.jpg

Finally, they think that my left knee is not yellow enough. I disagree and honestly think this matches the CRL (see screenshot), but I suppose if they insist I will get it repainted. It's more yellow than the right knee and less yellow than the left shoulder, which looks right to me. (What do you think BH-51512?)

Image from iOS (1).jpgScreen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.52.34 PM.png

So how do folks usually deal with this? Is it worth writing a thoughtful email reply with some questions and additional photos, or am I totally at the mercy of the GML, who may or may not be a Fett fanatic?

I welcome your brutal honesty and candid advice. :)

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
That gauntlet rocket thing is weird. Didn't Elstree Precision recently say they used copper originally (I think they even went so far as to say they had left over stock when they made their limited run of metal parts recently). Could be wrong on that.

For the ammo belt, throw some brown paint on the button to make it look the same color as the belt. Originals were vinyl painted brown so they probably just hit everything at once with the paint.

As for the paint, lighting does a lot with them for sure. I did paint them two different colors as the base layer. The lighter knee is the actually same color as the lighter shoulder at first. Just that the lighter knee then gets a lot of orange misting to make it a lighter orange instead of a dark orange like the other knee. With the right (or wrong?) lighting I can see where they are coming from I suppose. Easy to make them look very vibrant and saturated in pictures. However it's my work so maybe I'm just seeing it based on the process it took to get there.

Didn't Elstree Precision recently say they used copper originally (I think they even went so far as to say they had left over stock when they made their limited run of metal parts recently).

Yes, when they released their new version of the rocket, Dragomir Dundjerovic confirmed that the original used a copper alloy. Of course copper is quite shiny when it is brand new, but the piece on the gauntlet should be weathered a little (imho)!

Here’s mine:
1236BF63-C571-495C-A413-1448B9A04302.jpeg

In my opinion:

1) Your rocket is fine.
2) Your shoulders don't bother me.
3) Your belt snaps are fine.
4) I would take pictures in different lighting for the knees and show them separately. Worse case it might be too orange and would require a repaint.

I personally think the GML is a little over their head on this one. Did you send it over to the BHG for a review?

Thanks Buda.

Did you send it over to the BHG for a review?

Last year I couldn't get on to the BHG forum due to a technical problem with the email server on their end. I emailed them but never heard anything and got busy with other things. I was able to get it to work last night, but it seems like a bit of a ghost town, at least for Fett reviews. I noted that you asked for feedback in August and got no replies.

I personally think the GML is a little over their head on this one.

I agree. I also want to be accommodating and respectful. I am trying to join their organization in the end. But I do need to balance that with my time, money, and effort and also what we know to be correct. 501st membership is important to me though, so I do want to find a path forward.

I agree. I also want to be accommodating and respectful. I am trying to join their organization in the end. But I do need to balance that with my time, money, and effort and also what we know to be correct. 501st membership is important to me though, so I do want to find a path forward.

I'd shoot a PM to jbdubz to see about those issues at BHG and discussing those issues from the GML.

Here's a comparison I worked up tonight comparing my armor to the CRL. My stuff on the right is corrected for white balance.

I'm genuinely willing to repaint it if necessary, but they look super close to me. :unsure:

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 6.27.17 PM.png

FWIW, here is a thread/reply on the BHG (for someone else) where an admin confirms that the rocket tip should be copper once finished (and not “brass”): Sign In - The Bounty Hunters Guild

092BF59A-834C-46F7-8FF5-C7DE1A6400A8.pngA45883EF-534E-46BF-A50D-BAF6C3C55444.jpeg

I’ve sent this along with the photos above (including the knee armor comparison) to my GML. Will keep this thread updated.

Again, I’m absolutely committed to working through approval. Their feedback email was very kind and encouraging, and I’m sure their next reply will be the same. I do hope they agree with me though! :)

Last edited:
For those playing along at home, I’m back with an update. I’ve recently gotten final consolidated feedback from my GML and I have a plan to address all of if. I want to thank both my GML and jbdubz for their time and assistance.

There are a handful of fixes I will manage myself, and while that’s happening I will need to get some paint work adjusted / redone on my helmet and armor. This will take time and money, but when you’re not a painter yourself that’s what you sign up for.

There were a few things where lighting has really played havoc for me, and I will have to plan ahead when I do my reshoot to make sure the lighting will render accurate tones in the camera. For example, my Mike M. gloves, which are gray (see photo), very easily take on a blue hue in the right light.

Do not kid yourself: the standards for Fett, and ESB Boba especially, are extremely high and for good reason. I will be proud to meet them.

I estimate I will have it all done and be ready for approval again in March. Will do my best to keep this thread updated in the meantime.

I’ve already started: last night I stained the stitching, filed off the dark finish on the grommets, and painted the snaps on my ammo belt. A note for all you Delta wearers out there! ;)

Attachments

• 0F58A57B-E63B-4030-8EBB-2898BBE6528F.jpeg
    0F58A57B-E63B-4030-8EBB-2898BBE6528F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 1B2CDDF2-444D-407B-8F22-59009D494C32.jpeg
    1B2CDDF2-444D-407B-8F22-59009D494C32.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 150
The armor paint is slightly off but we are talking a few shades and I really don’t think it should make a difference and like buda was saying it’s all in the lighting of the shot as well and I honestly think it looks great!

Tonight I updated the weathering on my boots per some of the feedback I received. I think they're much better now.

Here are some photos with only one boot done for comparison:

IMG_1321.jpegIMG_1322.jpeg

And here's the final outcome:

IMG_1324.jpeg

In other news, my helmet an armor are on the way to their respective painters for some adjustments, and I'll be seeing my tailor in about a week for some flak vest adjustments.

Onward...!

Last edited:
Boots look great but what adjustments were needed on the helmet?

Basically they felt it had some SE damage that shouldn’t be there and that it was missing some important details in a few other spots (e.g. “carbon scoring” around the dent).

Thanks, but it’s okay. I have other tweaks to make while I wait, and Brandon and Chris are great partners.

This has been a great learning experience, and I hope I can be helpful to others down the line.

The important thing is for it to be right. Fett is arguably more important than ever now, and we all have a responsibility to do it justice (as long as we’re having fun, of course).

It’s been a busy 7 weeks or so!

My flight suit and vest are with my seamstress for some final tailoring. The biggest adjustment there will be really fine tuning the shoulders on the vest.

Chris has been keeping me posted on his progress weekly, and the helmet looks absolutely stunning in my opinion. I was happy with the original work, and I’m thrilled with the additional detail he added / corrected per the feedback from my GML and the BHG. We’re waiting on final feedback before sealing this up and sending it back to me.

Brandon has been hard at work on the armor tweaks and is making excellent progress.

I can’t thank both of them enough for their collaboration.

Once I have everything back in hand I’ll do a test fit with my seamstress before she does all the final stitching on the vest. I was very lucky to find this person. She makes her living working on costumes for TV and theater here in New York… and now she’s nearly a Fett expert after tolerating me for awhile! So if you’re in the New York City area do send me a PM. This seamstress is well prepared to tailor your flight suits and vests!

Once the soft parts are totally done I may re-dye the flight suit slightly darker before weathering it further. Then the rest is tiny details.

In the midst of all of this I was able to grab a spare set of braids from JoJoFett and gloves from Mike M, so I should be all set for awhile.

As I said I’ve put off sorting out my EE3, but that’s on the horizon as soon as the rest of the kit is 501st approved.

The finish line is in sight!

Attachments

• DDD2C8CA-0DBD-45D2-BC24-4356643F535C.jpeg
    DDD2C8CA-0DBD-45D2-BC24-4356643F535C.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 992AFC2A-D7D0-48EE-93DA-ABA79CC09B66.jpeg
    992AFC2A-D7D0-48EE-93DA-ABA79CC09B66.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 3C3EDA03-3918-493A-8D74-4AB069D18258.jpeg
    3C3EDA03-3918-493A-8D74-4AB069D18258.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 152
  • E61E9E31-3813-408B-AD45-1E2FCA3F3168.jpeg
    E61E9E31-3813-408B-AD45-1E2FCA3F3168.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 156
After quite the journey I am nearly ready to resubmit for 501st approval.

The last big effort is to dye my flight suit — the current blue is just too light compared to the references. I’m using Dylon Vintage Blue hand dye (formerly called China Blue). That’s based on this thread, which looked good to me.

Today I’m just testing with the pouches. If all goes well I’ll do the rest of the suit in a week or two.

Then there are just a few bits and bobs to finalize before new photos.

Attachments

• 7C6F79D8-5FCA-4A85-9871-1D2A5DF9EF9A.jpeg
    7C6F79D8-5FCA-4A85-9871-1D2A5DF9EF9A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back