Adding Fiberglass to a Resin Helm

Filer

Jr Hunter
Hey All, just wondering if anyone has guidance or sees issue with the idea of adding a layer of fiberglass inside a resin helmet. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
What you need to do is get fiberglass mat and cut it into like 1"x2" squares, dip it in the fiberglass resin, and then lay it inside brushing the resin on nice and uniform.

What you need to do is get fiberglass mat and cut it into like 1"x2" squares, dip it in the fiberglass resin, and then lay it inside brushing the resin on nice and uniform.
Yep, does it make a big difference in durability? Is it worth the effort? Cheers.

I have one FP Asok and one Marrow Sun - was going to do them both up and use the one that came out best... Thoughts on that approach?

guys what about adding fiberglass to an ABS piece? can be done or the thermo reaction ruin the abs? need info for a garrison's stormtrooper chest armor that continue to break down during trooping

So the resin will often warp during the additive fibreglass process, or you mean it protects it from potential temperate warping?

So the resin will often warp during the additive fibreglass process, or you mean it protects it from potential temperate warping?

Temperate warming. One resin helmet i owned warped when i left it on a MR helmet stand on a table in direct sunlight creating a bulge in the helmet. Luckily it remedied itself. Another had similar issues that needed a heat gun to correct. Both were fine in the end but this wouldn't have happened with a fibreglass helmet. There's vitually no give even if you're really trying to force it.

I have applied fibreglass inside a resin helmet. There were no issues (it was an Asok).

Way back when Bill was still making Asok helmets I bought a B grade helmet from him. The resin had not evened out and there were thin spots. I was able to apply fiberglass with no problems ...even with a thin wall of resin.

i'm a first time builder, and dove in head first with resin, then fibreglass. it really adds a good hardness to the helmet. I did 2 layers of fibreglass....feels like i could bounce it off the ground.
I used the fibreglass weave which i found a little tricky as the fibres like to pull apart. The trick i found was to "dab" the weave with resin untill it was soaked into the weave. the dabbing action stops the weave from pulling apart

Yea reinforcing it with fiberglass is a very good idea, and highly recommended for Fett helmets that are resin, though its not 100% needed if you are aware of the warping issue and store your helmet away from extreme heat.

However, you dont dip the glass in the resin,that makes a huge mess and is not the proper way to do that. You can also cut the glass pieces a little larger than 1"X2". When i do helmets, i use pieces about 2"X6", but either will work.

The proper way to do it, is to brush some of the polyester fiberglass resin on the inside of the helmet, like paint basically, uniformly , and in the general area you will lay the glass, and then lay a piece of glass on top of that. You then dip your brush into the resin again and dab onto the glass until it is fully saturated and all the air bubbles are out, then repeat that process. Depending on the weight of the glass your using, 1-2 layers are sufficient to strengthen the helmet. After that cures up you can add a layer of the resin alone to hide the fiberglass texture if you desire. I personally like the look of the glass, but doing this will give it a smooth finish.

Also i have reinforced HIPS and ABS with glass without issues.

Also, fiberglass matt gives you a stronger stiffer result that the fiberglass cloth, which is woven like fabric. But either will work for this.

Great topic! My question is what about glassing the helmet after its already been painted? I'd like to fiberglass my new bucket, but worry about the heat from the curing processes pealing or discoloring the paint job? Any thoughts on this?

I don't think it would get hot enough to peel/discolor the paint unless you let the resin pool up somewhere. Work slowly in maybe 3-4oz batches and keep your layers thin... use just enough to saturate the mat. It will get warm from the catalyst reaction, but not crazy hot to mess up your paint job. If you leave catalyzed resin in the bottom of a cup 1/2 inch or so...now THAT will get crazy hot.

Great topic! My question is what about glassing the helmet after its already been painted? I'd like to fiberglass my new bucket, but worry about the heat from the curing processes pealing or discoloring the paint job? Any thoughts on this?

Also, fiberglass matt gives you a stronger stiffer result that the fiberglass cloth, which is woven like fabric. But either will work for this.

good to know! my first experience with cloth got a little 'hairy'. Fibres pulling apart, required quite a bit of sanding afterwords to get the rogue strands to disappear. gonna try the mat next time.

There could be a health risk.

Personally, I'm against having any sort of polyester resin (aka fiberglass resin) based products anywhere near my head. Even with the most perfect mixture imaginable, small percentages of resin still remain unpaired with a catalyst and can release trace amounts of dangerous fumes months and and even years after it's cured. In a very enclosed helmet that's likely to be subjected to a lot of movement and temperature changes, I'm just far to paranoid for my health to ever consider this. I'd much rather just slushcast a few more layers of urethene inside it to thicken it up instead.

If you decide to do it, and for anyone who has, I'd definitely give it a good few thick layers of paint to seal it in.

I've used a blowdryer to attempt to cure the majority of the resin and am putting a layer of bondo over the top to seal it... I think.

I've used a blowdryer to attempt to cure the majority of the resin and am putting a layer of bondo over the top to seal it... I think.

Bondo is also primarily made up of polyester resin, you're kinda just sealing the fiberglass resin with more fiberglass resin with that..

Honestly though, if you've already done it, just paint over it and the risk should be mitigated.

You wouldn't have instantly died or anything of it anyway, but there are distinct long-term health problems that extended exposure to these materials are known to cause, namely neurological degradation and cancers. It's a risk that I just wanted to bring some awareness to since nobody was mentioning sealing in this thread.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back