9/12 update ROTJ Boba 501st approved!

Thanks guys!

DP, I wrapped the tape around where the hoses push on - makes up snug!

The darts - not sure - they're metal like the gaunts (wicked beard). These were brought from another member already painted who was parting out his costume. I've actually lightly tugged on the darts to see if there is any give but they're pretty snug.

Yeah. I'm probably going to add some Velcro to the collar area

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

As I wind down this build, thought I'd put together a "picture" parts list w/comments. Setting up the photo shoot here pretty soon. Lots of little things to correct and of course UPGRADES (are you ever really done with this guy?).

BOOTS/SPATS:

MOW Boots, Jodo's Spikes, Spats by Arkady, painting and weathering by me. These were probably the first things I did after the lid. Which was about 10 or 11 months ago, (shows you how long I've put off this build!). Generally followed Spidey's tutorial. Jodo's spikes are epoxied in place and I used super glue on the threads to keep the spikes in place and one of the spikes got kind of wonky on me (you can tell from the photo). Spats I need to dust a bit more. I also want to go in an add some caulking to smooth out the rough spots where the spikes are affixed.

IMG_2421_zpsi2p7zaap.jpg

JUMPSUIT:

Arkady, weathered by me. Fits great. Little worred about the bagginess in the shin area but tight knee armor straps help that out considerably. This was an every other night adventure. Gray/Black spray paint misting, acrylic washing with grays browns and blacks. Rust stains in certain places like the front pockets and around the edges of the sleeves where the gaunts would be, and the shins where the tools would be. Oh, the little dot on the right is the hole where my aker cord comes out.

IMG_2422_zpsd2hloi6f.jpg

ARMOR, VEST, BRAIDS, CAPE, DISPLAY

Armor is RKD large sized painted by Sleepalot. Cape is Woodman, Braids are Woody's also. Vest is Arkady. Display is Fettronics. Vest was weathered by me.

First the vest, can I say it was a nightmare getting everything lined up? Because it was nightmare getting everything lined up. I generally followed TK-409's tutorial and used snaps. Thankfully the armor hides a lot of mistakes (sort of like my TK armor). The vest I took sandpaper to and acrylic washes using various colors. Still need to trim off some of the bottom in keeping with 501st requirements.

The knees and shoulders were repainted by me. If you look at my first post, I had to agree with Aaron and Dom that those were just too orange color (not taking anything away from Mike/Sleep's paint job, who was excellent to deal with - each painter has a different ideas about what colors work). So I masked off the damage and it took me a couple of tries to get the color I like. First, they ended up too yellow (Farm Equipment Yellow). Then I got some Pumpkin orange to add some mist and I begin to like what I had. Added some chalk dust around the dents for weathering and coupled with some dry brushing. Got to dullcoat still.

IMG_2424_zpstk1myurw.jpg

AMMO BELT, POUCHES

Ammo Belt is MOW, pouches are Arkady. Weathering the belt was really fun! The Russet spray recommended by Aaron (Deathproof) worked great and then I just took some sandpaper and a hobby knife to it. The pouches I also sandpapered (makes them really soft) and added some rust, black and tan browns to.

IMG_2425_zpsdpevuyay.jpg

GAUNTS

Gaunts are Wicked Beard painted by Wicked Beard. Purchased from a member parting out their costume. Missile is resin (right now). Have a replacement switch on the way for the left gauntlet. Then I get to wire up some electronics. LED at the top is already functional. The hoses are basically pushed on over the bolts (wrapped with duck tape).

IMG_2426_zps3yzv4dxq.jpg

JET PACK HARNESS

I'm using one of Seeker's custom cloth harnesses. The few times I've had it on it hasn't given me a problem. If you're looking for an alternative (and less expensive) to a metal one, highly recommended. I did have the straps in the back shortened as the they were hanging to low.

IMG_2427_zpsfh5mipr1.jpg

BLASTER

One of Sidewinder's kits, painted and weathered by the man himself. Excellent!

IMG_2428_zpsjdi5fhwx.jpg

NECK SEAL, GLOVES

Neck Seal is Arkady, Gloves are MOW, both weathered by me. I've already listed my problems with the gloves. The fabric stretches, but had started to come loose in certain areas which I reinforced with stitches (would Fett spend coin on a new pair of gloves - heck no!) Still, I'll probably pick up a second set at some point.

IMG_2429_zpsdfhbq5kq.jpg

GIRTH BELT

No problems with Christian's girth though. Works great! I haven't sewn my straps, just buckled them.

IMG_2430_zpsubhyhv3n.jpg

SHIN TOOLS

Sorry for the blurry pic. These are Lou's (DVH). Excellent craftmanship! And I know only the Anti-Security and Sonic Beam are required for ROTJ, but I got four of 'em I'm gonna show four of 'em: : )

IMG_2431_zpsyt4hpp7v.jpg

LID

FP. Not sure what version it's fiberglass though. Painted by me nearly two years ago. Used STG's rattlecan tutorial. Damage is nowhere near accurate and will probably have another one commissioned at some point (or try another when I have the time), but - like your child - it's mine and I show it love. Got my Mojo stalk from Mojo Fett the other day and the rangefinder lights (self-contained) from JC27.

IMG_2432_zpscz1la7pz.jpg

JETPACK

MOW. Purchased from the same member parting out his gaunts. Got to figure out how to connect the lights in the beacon.

IMG_2434_zpsgmdmwwbo.jpg

About it!

IMG_2421_zpsi2p7zaap.jpg

IMG_2422_zpsd2hloi6f.jpg

IMG_2424_zpstk1myurw.jpg

IMG_2425_zpsdpevuyay.jpg

IMG_2426_zps3yzv4dxq.jpg

IMG_2427_zpsfh5mipr1.jpg

IMG_2428_zpsjdi5fhwx.jpg

IMG_2429_zpsdfhbq5kq.jpg

IMG_2430_zpsubhyhv3n.jpg

IMG_2431_zpsyt4hpp7v.jpg

IMG_2432_zpscz1la7pz.jpg

IMG_2434_zpsgmdmwwbo.jpg

That's awesome. You come a long way. Looks great. I will do something like this when I get a chance soon. Although, I can't remember where i got some of my stuff from..

You also just reminded me that I need to weather my ammo belt and pouches...

Hey all,

As I wind down this build, thought I'd put together a "picture" parts list w/comments. Setting up the photo shoot here pretty soon. Lots of little things to correct and of course UPGRADES (are you ever really done with this guy?).

BOOTS/SPATS:

MOW Boots, Jodo's Spikes, Spats by Arkady, painting and weathering by me. These were probably the first things I did after the lid. Which was about 10 or 11 months ago, (shows you how long I've put off this build!). Generally followed Spidey's tutorial. Jodo's spikes are epoxied in place and I used super glue on the threads to keep the spikes in place and one of the spikes got kind of wonky on me (you can tell from the photo). Spats I need to dust a bit more. I also want to go in an add some caulking to smooth out the rough spots where the spikes are affixed.

View attachment 91293

JUMPSUIT:

Arkady, weathered by me. Fits great. Little worred about the bagginess in the shin area but tight knee armor straps help that out considerably. This was an every other night adventure. Gray/Black spray paint misting, acrylic washing with grays browns and blacks. Rust stains in certain places like the front pockets and around the edges of the sleeves where the gaunts would be, and the shins where the tools would be. Oh, the little dot on the right is the hole where my aker cord comes out.

View attachment 91294

ARMOR, VEST, BRAIDS, CAPE, DISPLAY

Armor is RKD large sized painted by Sleepalot. Cape is Woodman, Braids are Woody's also. Vest is Arkady. Display is Fettronics. Vest was weathered by me.

First the vest, can I say it was a nightmare getting everything lined up? Because it was nightmare getting everything lined up. I generally followed TK-409's tutorial and used snaps. Thankfully the armor hides a lot of mistakes (sort of like my TK armor). The vest I took sandpaper to and acrylic washes using various colors. Still need to trim off some of the bottom in keeping with 501st requirements.

The knees and shoulders were repainted by me. If you look at my first post, I had to agree with Aaron and Dom that those were just too orange color (not taking anything away from Mike/Sleep's paint job, who was excellent to deal with - each painter has a different ideas about what colors work). So I masked off the damage and it took me a couple of tries to get the color I like. First, they ended up too yellow (Farm Equipment Yellow). Then I got some Pumpkin orange to add some mist and I begin to like what I had. Added some chalk dust around the dents for weathering and coupled with some dry brushing. Got to dullcoat still.

View attachment 91295

AMMO BELT, POUCHES

Ammo Belt is MOW, pouches are Arkady. Weathering the belt was really fun! The Russet spray recommended by Aaron (Deathproof) worked great and then I just took some sandpaper and a hobby knife to it. The pouches I also sandpapered (makes them really soft) and added some rust, black and tan browns to.

View attachment 91296

GAUNTS

Gaunts are Wicked Beard painted by Wicked Beard. Purchased from a member parting out their costume. Missile is resin (right now). Have a replacement switch on the way for the left gauntlet. Then I get to wire up some electronics. LED at the top is already functional. The hoses are basically pushed on over the bolts (wrapped with duck tape).

View attachment 91297

JET PACK HARNESS

I'm using one of Seeker's custom cloth harnesses. The few times I've had it on it hasn't given me a problem. If you're looking for an alternative (and less expensive) to a metal one, highly recommended. I did have the straps in the back shortened as the they were hanging to low.

View attachment 91298

BLASTER

One of Sidewinder's kits, painted and weathered by the man himself. Excellent!

View attachment 91299

NECK SEAL, GLOVES

Neck Seal is Arkady, Gloves are MOW, both weathered by me. I've already listed my problems with the gloves. The fabric stretches, but had started to come loose in certain areas which I reinforced with stitches (would Fett spend coin on a new pair of gloves - heck no!) Still, I'll probably pick up a second set at some point.

View attachment 91300

GIRTH BELT

No problems with Christian's girth though. Works great! I haven't sewn my straps, just buckled them.

View attachment 91301

SHIN TOOLS

Sorry for the blurry pic. These are Lou's (DVH). Excellent craftmanship! And I know only the Anti-Security and Sonic Beam are required for ROTJ, but I got four of 'em I'm gonna show four of 'em: : )

View attachment 91302

LID

FP. Not sure what version it's fiberglass though. Painted by me nearly two years ago. Used STG's rattlecan tutorial. Damage is nowhere near accurate and will probably have another one commissioned at some point (or try another when I have the time), but - like your child - it's mine and I show it love. Got my Mojo stalk from Mojo Fett the other day and the rangefinder lights (self-contained) from JC27.

View attachment 91303

JETPACK

MOW. Purchased from the same member parting out his gaunts. Got to figure out how to connect the lights in the beacon.

View attachment 91304

About it!

Three points,

1) Vest problem - In your picture you have way too much space between the bottom armor piece and the bottom of the flak vest. I stated before that it must be between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch of space. From the pictures you have at least 1 inch, maybe 1.5 inches of space. If you are striving for 501st admission you must shorting the bottom of your vest.

2) Left Gauntlet - The flamethrower is not attached correctly. It's supposed to be flush with the front not the back of the side.

Here's a picture of the actual gauntlet, notice how its flush with the front not the back like your gauntlet.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Archives-05.jpg

3) Boots - Weather the toe spikes and soles some more.

4) Jet Pack - Your jet pack is missing several decals (lettering) on the back side which can be remedied by getting the decals and attaching them. The paint job looks a little strange, specifically the yellow looks rather orange in your picture but it might be the lighting. PM me about the light issue, I might be able to help you.

5) Love the weathering on the gloves and the suit, much much better. You need to weather your spats some more though.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Archives-05.jpg

Thanks Deriak, Crum

Yes, Crum, I mentioned the vest is too long. I may can fix the gaunts, not sure. As to the JP, not sure if the light, coupled with the dark weathering, caused it to look more orangish.

Thanks!

he mentioned that already

Hey Kev,

You mentioned you had a choking issue. Have you tried moving the armor down a bit more? That could make up the gap and save you some sewing time. Sorry - I forget how you have it attached.

The shoulders/knees look 10x better. Beacon light is pretty straight forward to install. I have a jodocast beacon. Let me know if you have issues.

Everything else looks perfect man. Just get those submission pics in already! ;)

Thanks DP,

Yeah - I'm probably going to have it sewn. I can't imagine trying to get that armor lined up again. ... lol.

Also the choking is more of a gentle tug and I want to try it for awhile with the jetpack to see if I need to put something there. Right now I haven't been in this costume more than maybe 30-40 minutes. I wanna wear it all for an extended period and see how that goes.

Thanks about the beacon, when I get the chance I'll PM you some pics as to how it's set up.

Best, K

9/2 SUBMISSION PHOTOS

And STILL, lots of things to nitpick. Had a photo shoot with a local photographer last Friday.

- My knee armor kept turning inwards. May have to rethink the snaps and go with velcro.
- Straps on my JP need to be raised more, which I'm already having done (not sure if that will prevent approval or not)
- One of my push button switches on the left gaunt looks different than its brother. Will have to replace.
- Oh, and the vest is pinned (sorry, I cheated - will have it fixed :))

Comments/thoughts welcome guys! Thanks much!

_MG_7594_zpsxct0ymu8.jpg

_MG_7593_zpsu46wx6ir.jpg

_MG_7580_zpsuuyfyeny.jpg

_MG_7579_zpsvl90ylsc.jpg

_MG_7581_zpsy3audrvi.jpg

_MG_7578_zpsvltylb8t.jpg

_MG_7594_zpsxct0ymu8.jpg

_MG_7593_zpsu46wx6ir.jpg

_MG_7580_zpsuuyfyeny.jpg

_MG_7579_zpsvl90ylsc.jpg

_MG_7581_zpsy3audrvi.jpg

_MG_7578_zpsvltylb8t.jpg

Awesome! I love professional photos of finished suits. You should be proud of you accomplishment. It looks great and fits you well.

Looks really good.............my only critique is the knee straps and thong need a bit more weathering..............But very nice looking Fett.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back