3D printed Gauntlet issue

camble1022

New Hunter
I recently bought a set of 3d printed Beskar Mando gauntlets. They are single piece slide and look great. I have however encountered a problem with the wrist end being too small for my right hand, left goes on and off perfectly. I have seen some people use piano hinges for the ROTJ Fett gauntlets but I am unsure how to split and then resecure 3D print. I’m also looking to split the left gauntlet to hollow out the whistling bird launcher to use fiber optic lighting to create the effect of them turning blue. Does anyone have any experience cutting 3-D print and resecuring it like that? I really hate to destroy something that I paid that much money for.

Attachments

• 856E6DE7-9FB1-4570-A123-72D11A71CCE2.jpeg
    856E6DE7-9FB1-4570-A123-72D11A71CCE2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 172
  • A412300D-9B8D-4BE5-8D80-FDBA59C958AF.jpeg
    A412300D-9B8D-4BE5-8D80-FDBA59C958AF.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 168
What is the material, PLA or PETG? I have had luck modifying PLA. You can use a fine toothed razor saw to cut it but go slow, if you generate any heat then the PLA starts to soften and will grab the blade. Same thing with sanding.

Putting it all back together is a different matter. If you don't mind seeing the hinge then you can follow Cruzer's tutorial in the Jango section. If you are going for a screen accurate look and don't want to see the hinge, there are still a couple of options.

You could glue in elastic with E600 on both sides of the inside gauntlet and it will have enough give for you to wiggle your hand through (probably the best method since you can already put on one gauntlet)

Or

You could glue in hidden piano hinges. One side would have the loose pin for opening and the other side would need to be a flexible hinge. Because of the way my gauntlets were modelled I needed to be creative with the construction of the flexible hinge and I had to glue in elastic. My setup works great for me and there is no chance of these ever slipping off. My gauntlets are also extremely close fitting so I knew I wouldn't be able to make a full elastic closure work, I really have to stuff in my gloves.

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 208
bigkidbiggertoys, They are PLA. My first thoughts were a dremel with a fine cutting wheel. I didn't give any thought to the heat it would generate. The hinge is what I was considering, I was just not confident in my mind of the exaction. The Elastic on the inside as a hinge is definitely more inspired than I was considering. Do your gauntlets stay in place well on there own or do you have an additional contact on your sleeves that keep them in place? I was thinking Velcro on the upper and lower sides of my arm to hold it.

My gauntlets are very form fitting so I don't need any velcro to keep them in place but I did add a strip inside in case I needed it.

My Jango gauntlets are a little looser so I just added some padding inside and they don't spin around at all.

Don't use the dremmel as it will heat up your PLA and you will probably break the discs. Use a fine toothed jeweller's saw that you can get at a hobby shop or even one of those under cut hand saws from a building supply store.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back