MLC jet pack questions

Looks very good. Question: I am painting mine in ROTJ colors and it looks very new, how do I kill the gloss of the paint?? Should I only use a Matte clear coat after weathering??

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of it depends on what you paint it with. they do make a final coat that dulls the sheene but I'm not sure what it's called. The paint I used it pretty flat to start with so it wasn't really a problem

At last......an ESB pack! Looking good there slowmo :)
Hopefully, Ely would have those ESB decals soon....

Keep up the good work!

Mardon

Hey Defiler sounds like you need some dull cote for your pack. It will kill any shine you may have.
Slowmo pack looks awesome and I think you have all the right red but you need to dirty it up some.

Yeah, I haevn't even started weathering it yet. I still have a little touch up work in places that need a 3rd coat.

For the green I used the panzer green that Lee found for the bucket. Someone in an earlier thread posed a pic with the helmet superimposed in the jet pack and it looked to be the right color to me.

I do have one question for you guys though... On the rocket part, right above the silver ring, is that next little bit above that the red? In the one good pic I have of it I can't really tell...I keep waffeling back and forth.

darn, Mirax's pics with the harness aren't working anymore. I wanted to take a closer look at that before I started tinkering with this thing and cutting it up. Any chance those can get repaired?

Love the undercoat. When are you putting the blue yellow white and the rest of the red on? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Looks really great, mate. Good colour!

Keep up the good work and the progress pics!

Si

Defiler wrote:

Looks very good. Question: I am painting mine in ROTJ colors and it looks very new, how do I kill the gloss of the paint?? Should I only use a Matte clear coat after weathering??

Thanks.

Yup, I used Matte Coat- was either by Krylon or Rustoleum and it takes the shine away from the glossy paint.

Sorry, I had run out of web space so I had to remove a page. Just got some more space and will be doing a new Jango page that will have those pics back on my site, maybe later today. I also plan to post pics of my totally complete jet pack in Jango, again poss today and I'll include those pics :)

Thanks Mirax Robert and TK for your help and sorry for hyjaking your thread Slowmo.

Last question, should I apply the silver scratches after applying the clear coat or before?? Robert told me that if I do it before the clear coat that it will look grey instead of silver.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Slowmo, your pack is looking great cant wait to see more pictures of it when finished.

ok, here are the new pics. I think it's fairly complete. I do want to mist it a little more with flat black, but I ran out tonight :( Id does look pretty good though I think.

anyway, on with the pics!

flash
DSCN0393.JPG

no flash
DSCN0394.JPG

Very very nice, you should be very happy with how it has come out. Can't wait to get one myself.

:cheers Very nice, Doug! Beats the heck out of your old pack, and that is a GREAT paint job!

Ryan

yeah, it is a heck of a lot better than that old pack isn't it. I should make a photo of the two side by side to show the difference between us amatures trying to make stuff and the real artists doing it!

DOug

Yeah, I'm interested, but I'm kind of a little guy: 5'7", 135lbs. How is the size of the jet pack going to be on me? Thanks.

UPDATE - 23rd OCT 2003

Well finaly got my harness made and fixed in last night.
Jp10.jpg

I had to hot glue some metal oval rings in to secure the JP better as it kept swinging side to side when worn on my back
JP11.jpg

Heres the harness i used a rack sack that i cut down and added some extra straps and plastic bukle clips
JPH.jpg

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

UPDATE - 17th OCT 2003

thanks for all your comments and just got my JP stabilizer from a board member and installed it last night.

Ive also added loads more weathering to the JP also more pics coming soon.
JP8.jpg

all i need now is the beacon and harness which im making this weekend and its finished.
his email is[mail]cambareng@hotmail.com[/mail]

UPDATE 16th Oct

Well done some more weathering and just need to make a JP harness.

Also what other marking does the ROTJ JP have on it as i want to add some more onto it

can anyone help with pics etc..... so i can hand paint them on

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

UPDATE - 23rd SEPT 2003
Well last weekend i worked on making the JP look more dirty and less looking like new.

I used Choas Black GW paint and a cheap £20 airbrush from Halfords and came up with this and serveral black/brown ink wash layers.

JP7.jpg

As you can see ive started on the metal weathering, Im going to repaint the thrusters as theres to much black on these.

cheers

Neil

UPDATE - 9th SEPT 2003

heres some new pics of STAGE 1 of my JP

JP4.jpg

The markings have been hand painted and I used a pencil to draw the outline of the markings from pics in my home SW libary ive got.
JP5.jpg

STAGE 2: Ink wash to be added
STAGE 3: Worn areas to be added.

UPDATE 8th September
Ive bought the blue this weekend and have made a start on painting the blue on my JP.

So by tonight ill have Stage 1 done - base colours.

Ill be posting some new pics soon.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Some current pics i took last night, these are just the base colours that ive painted on so far

JP1.JPG

JP2.JPG

JP3.JPG

cheers

Neil
starwars20.ico

uk-scout TB7290
www.uk-scout.co.uk
ukbikerscout@hotmail.com
ukscout-webbanner.jpg

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back