bzb's ESB Build

No one here will ride you( too much lol). You will just have some folks offer up suggestions on accuracy to improve your quality of life
You should do what you feel is best, as its your investment. But you can blend accuracy pertaining to captured images and modifications that make it more wearable/troopable. attachment methods, harness system, helmet interior can be tweaked to your liking without affecting 501st levels.
But as nice as your armor paint is coming along you're only showing very minor things to adjust.

Oh, I'm used to it, no worries there :)

I'm just talking about armor placement and such, more than the accuracy of the visuals of the armor itself. I haven't trooped Fett enough to know what the real issues are yet (except for those damn gauntlets pinching) so it's likely I'll end up doing what you fine folks are suggesting! I definitely see what yall are saying about the collar armor. Strange that the rest had return edges, but the collar almost has none... typical Star Warsing.

Appreciate all the feedback!

I have been hunting Amazon and my Google Fu is failing me. Anyone know where to source the flat cable/wire for the left gauntlet? I have a flat USB charger cable that will work for the red, but I don't have white...

Shot the back plate with Valspar clear (same stuff I used on the chest plates) and it fogged up on me :( It was near the end of the can and had been sitting for a week, so not sure what the heck happened... maybe I shook it up too much, maybe it went bad, whatever.

Luckily it's the backplate so not too bad to repaint that one. Just fair warning - maybe do all your clear at one time if you're using Valspar. Austin (Bobafiend) suggested using Dullcote instead, and I may switch to that.

Gauntlets are 90% done. Got braided hose from Home Depot, will attach that with E6. Just need to decide if I'm going to glue or magnet the flamethrower at this point.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-09%20at%208.19.56%20AM_zpshotcphv4.png

That's too bad about the backplate, although I've heard many accounts of Valspar not working very well. Personally I stick to Rustoleum and had no problems yet.

Got Woody's horsehair braids today. They're awesome.

51fa1319-4940-43e6-8b97-988aaca3eaee_zpswcx8ducs.jpg

Got all the paint stripped off the bucket... but found out I have a lot of cleanup to do on it now. Lots of bubble holes to fill, and the visor was pretty roughly trimmed out... whee!

Woody's braids are awesome right?

As for the flamer...i screw mine on. DONT use magnets. It gets caught on things every now and then and if your going to troop it alot, you will rip it off 1 too many time using magnets. I say use screws if you can, or worse case, glue it with E-6000.

Ended up going with E6000 on it. I may reinforce with screws later, but it seems pretty solid. I think the slight flexibility of the E6 will help if it gets snagged. Hopefully. :)

Hit a bump in the road. I finally finished sanding and cleaning up the bucket. Shot it with Valspar Silver. But the tracing paper carbon won't stick to the Valspar!! Think I'm giving up on Valspar stuff :(

Ended up going with E6000 on it. I may reinforce with screws later, but it seems pretty solid. I think the slight flexibility of the E6 will help if it gets snagged. Hopefully. :)

Hit a bump in the road. I finally finished sanding and cleaning up the bucket. Shot it with Valspar Silver. But the tracing paper carbon won't stick to the Valspar!! Think I'm giving up on Valspar stuff :(

Good idea, few folks seem to have a good time long term with valspar. Go with Rustoleum. It's what I've been using, and with no probs whatsoever.

Looking pretty sweet! The only thing I might change is perhaps tone down the flight suit color with some bleach, it seems still a little too blue... Also, the collar seems a little high? Otherwise looking quite excellent. :cheers

Looking pretty sweet! The only thing I might change is perhaps tone down the flight suit color with some bleach, it seems still a little too blue... Also, the collar seems a little high? Otherwise looking quite excellent. :cheers

Thanks. The collar is down as far as it can go and still leave enough overlap on the backplate where the collar studs attach. I'm planning on moving the chest pieces up about half an inch, so that may change the perspective.

As for the blue... really? It's so hard to tell with the weird lighting, but for the weathering of the suit, I was really going off this photo.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-01a.png

His you collar looks like it is right on the neck line so it cannot go up any higher on the vest, the mannequin is throwing it off and letting it come down forward making it look low. You push the back ends of the collar back like they should be when attached to the back armor and it will be right where it needs to be. The armor does need to go up a bit though.
Great look suit to BTW!!!
Lynn

Back panels using Rafal's stencils (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/boba-fett-esb-helmet-stencils-41899/) and AFFO$'s rattle can list (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/affo-s-paint-list-airbrush-challenged-11819/)

Masked off all three colors (silver, gray, and concrete/khaki). I went with blue mist over hunter green. After pulling up the masking, I noticed that the stencils must have moved a bit while I was tracing (doh). I've repainted this bucket three times now, so I'm sticking with it.

Next, I sprayed the colors onto a paper plate. I used these paints for the next "layers" and touched them in based on the stencils with a fine brush. It's not perfectly accurate, but quite close enough for my taste. Finished off with a little bit of green/gray "weathering" in the hunter green area. I'm guessing my final application of Dullcote will take that sheen right off.

12315313_10207924850977594_2028391751_o_zpsh9ve5c23.jpg

12311764_10207924851537608_26068022_o_zpswxkhf9qg.jpg

Once I've weathered it with a light blackwash, I think it'll look great. Next up is cheeks, then the dome, and finally the red all the way around.

Oh forgot to post up about my stencil woes. I had used Valspar Silver Metallic as my base coat. The carbon would NOT stick to this paint, no matter how hard I pressed or how much I sanded it down. I ended up stripping the bucket. Again.

Took back the Valspar paints, and luckily Lowes refunded me for every can. I got Rustoleum Paint & Primer Nickel as the base coat. All paints that will be used now are Rustoleum and Krylon, except the Tamiya for the killstripes. Testors Dullcote will serve as the clear coat.

Flight suit weathering notes: I used RIT powder dyes. One teaspoon of Pearl Grey and a half teaspoon of Denim Blue in about a quart of water. I hung up the flight suit and sprayed the majority of it with this mixture to darken the suit all over, then went over it again to make it darker in the elbows, knees, and ankles. Had to wear gloves and open up all the pouches and rotate the suit to get in the crotch and areas that folded over.

After that dried, I misted with a light gray primer rattlecan. Then went over that with a darker gray, hitting the pouches and ankles heavier. Finished off with a mist of black primer in key areas.

Cheeks base colors are down, will touch in the additional colors after I shoot the mandibles.

12311680_10207930325394451_197282027_o_zpsbuni3ts3.jpg

12311859_10207930325154445_664606238_o_zpscqwx7pwm.jpg

Dome was masked off and shot with Spruce Green. Can't wait to peel it off tomorrow!

12333663_10207930639202296_1218642544_o_zpst707dfqb.jpg

Got an issue with AFFO$'s paint list. The Tamiya Mustard yellow strips off the Rustoleum Spruce Green. Not good. Starting the dome over.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back