bzb's ESB Build

Going to paint logo tonight and let it dry for a couple days before weathering. Will hit it with some #0000 steel wool beforehand.

12178151_10207706069268188_426857548_n_zpszgk9nses.jpg

I'm going to bring the plates down so they're only about 1/2" from the bottom, make the big gap between the chest plates and the collar. I may have mounted the shoulder bells too low. We'll see after I get it all mounted up - I'm pretty sure the holes will stay covered up. Damn shame if I gotta put extra holes in the flak vest, though - it's so pretty :(

Yeah, I spent the rest of the evening building snap plates... so the holes will be poked tonight! I'm hoping the sleeves of the flight suit will make the shoulder plates poke out a little more... I really don't want to put more holes in the vest than needed.

It's coming along. Working on stripping all the paint from the bucket... this is quite difficult.

I'm also working on the gauntlets at this time. I'm actively seeking a source for the momentary switches for the right gauntlet. $25 a pop (After shipping) seems really high... :(

It's coming along. Working on stripping all the paint from the bucket... this is quite difficult.

I'm also working on the gauntlets at this time. I'm actively seeking a source for the momentary switches for the right gauntlet. $25 a pop (After shipping) seems really high... :(

Are they pushbutton or toggles? I'm an ROTJ guy so I don't know the ESB setup :p

Are they pushbutton or toggles? I'm an ROTJ guy so I don't know the ESB setup :p

They're pushbutton.

MPE106D TE Connectivity / Alcoswitch | Mouser

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job, but I would trim the armor some more, it looks far too thick. It should have about a 1/8" return edge at the most.

Thanks! I'll take a look at more screen shots to try to match it up better. I was kind of going off another member's beautiful Fett... the plates seem about the same. I don't think there's more than a 1/8" return, maybe it's the crappy photos I'm taking with a cell. Here's the latest placement with snaps.

dsg4ycd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good bzb! You are getting close. Great list of gear by the way. Mine is similar but you are so much further along than me. I can't wait to get my lid so I can start documenting my progress.

Looks like the chest pieces should go up about .5" or so.
Can't tell by the pic on the other parts' thickness, but the collar armor looks like it needs about half of that return removed. Use the gallery as reference, not someone else's build thread for more accuracy.

I get what you're saying, but I have physical access to his costume :) If I can make it to 80% of how good his looks, it'll easily approve for 501st and I'll certainly be happy with it.

For the most part, though, I'm definitely going by the screenshots and all the wonderful work Rafalfett has done. I'll look at moving the plates once I have everything all together. Still not positive how it'll look once everything is hooked up.

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Oh, no, I get it... just like any of the other attachments I'm part of ;) You guys will ride me to be better - and that's not a bad thing!

I'm shooting for a balance here between accuracy and function. I will be trooping the hell out of this thing, so if I need to make that decision, my priority is definitely function.

Besides, we all know that, like any other costume in the OT, it's all subjective based on which prop they pulled and how long the actors were standing around in the gear :lol:

No one here will ride you( too much lol). You will just have some folks offer up suggestions on accuracy to improve your quality of life
You should do what you feel is best, as its your investment. But you can blend accuracy pertaining to captured images and modifications that make it more wearable/troopable. attachment methods, harness system, helmet interior can be tweaked to your liking without affecting 501st levels.
But as nice as your armor paint is coming along you're only showing very minor things to adjust.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back