Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 11, 2006, 9:53 AM - AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #1

I've gotten several requests for a list of the colors I use on the buckets I paint since I use spraypaints instead of an airbrush, so here goes:

NOTE: Valspar colors can be found at Lowes. I have also included the paint # after the paints that had them listed on the label.

ESB HELMET COLORS

SPRAY PAINTS

Dome and Lower Cheeks- Rustoleum Spruce Green

Upper Cheeks- Any Flat Black spray paint misted lightly with Rustoleum Spruce Green

Mandibles, Visor, and Keyslot Area-**NEW COLOR** Rustoleum Satin Cabernet oversprayed with Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer.

Back of helmet-You can go two routes with this depending on if you prefer the blue/green back or green/blue back
    blue/green back-base coat of Krylon Navy Blue misted over with Krylon Hunter Green Satin
    green/blue back-base coat of Krylon Hunter Green Satin misted over with Krylon Navy Blue

Killstripes-**NEW COLOR** Tamiya PS-56 Mustard Yellow (I order it off of ebay)

Light Green Scratches under Killstripes- Apple Barrel Colors 'Wedgewood Green' (20530) This can be found in the craft section of Walmart. It is an acrylic paint and has to REALLY be thinned down before using.

Left Ear-Rustoleum Spruce Green

Right Ear-Krylon Ultra Flat Camouflage Khaki

Tan Scratches on Back of Helmet-Krylon Ultra Flat Camouflage Khaki

BOTTLE PAINTS USED
    These are the paints I brush onto the helmet

Grey Scratches on Green Parts of helmet- Pollyscale SP Lark Dark Grey

Grey Scratches on Red Parts of helmet- Pollyscale SP Lark Dark Grey with two drops of white mixed in to the 1/2 oz bottle. If using the 1 oz bottle mix 4 drops of white.

Dark Red Scratches- Pollyscale PRR Maroon (per RS List)

Small Silver Scratches- Testors Model Master Silver

Paint Splatter Between Dent and Killstripes- Pollyscale Black Green

ROTJ HELMET COLORS

SPRAYPAINTS

Dome and Lower Cheeks- Krylon Italian Olive(3522)
    This color is a Satin so it will require dullcoting.

Upper Cheeks- Krylon Navy Blue misted with Krylon Flat Black

Visor, Mandibles, Red Trim- Rustoleum Satin Cabernet

Helmet Back- ColorPlace (Walmart Brand) Kelly Green

Keyslots- Krylon Grey Automotive Primer*
    *Krylon makes three different shades of grey automotive primers. The medium grey is just called 'grey' on the label. The dark and light greys are labeled as such.

Left Ear-Rustoleum Satin Cabernet (For the outer edge of the earpiece) and Rustoleum Aluminum (V7715).

Right Ear- Rustoleum Aluminum (V7715).

Killstripes- "New Color" Valspar 'Hacienda Tile' (Available at Lowe's)

BOTTLE PAINTS USED

Dark Grey around scratches- Pollyscale SP Lark Dark Grey

Dark Red around Scratches- Pollyscale PRR Maroon

Light Green scratches on Lower cheeks- Apple Barrel Colors 'Wedgewood Green' (20530) This can be found in the craft section of Walmart. It is an acrylic paint and has to REALLY be thinned down before using.

Grime On Ears- Pollyscale Grimy Black

I am always on the look out for accurate spray alternatives so if you find one you think looks better, please post it here.

Thanks,

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RotJ Left Complete.JPG 
Views:	714 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	56938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RotJ Left Front Complete.JPG 
Views:	636 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	56934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RotJ Right Complete.JPG 
Views:	562 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	56939  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RotJ Right Front Complete.JPG 
Views:	623 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	56933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RotJ Right Back Complete.JPG 
Views:	496 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	56936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RotJ Back Complete.JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	56937  

Name:	RotJ Back Left Complete.JPG 
Views:	412 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	56935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Dent Complete.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	71465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 1.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	71475  

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 5.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	71472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 4.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	71473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 3.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	71474  

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 10.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	71467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 11.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	71466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 9.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	71468  

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 8.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	71469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 7.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	71470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Fett Complete 6.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	71471  

Last edited by AFettFullofDollars; Jul 26, 2014 at 7:34 AM. Reason: Added New Colors
    Mar 11, 2006, 11:06 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #2

Thanks for the great info!!!
    Mar 11, 2006, 11:30 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #3

That is great information! Check your PM AFFO$.
    Mar 11, 2006, 3:04 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #4

Thanks alot because the colors that are listed to paint the ESB version on the color sceme post,I can't find them! I'll try with sprays then air brush the rest.

Mar 11, 2006, 3:31 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #5

thanks for the info... super job!!!!
    Mar 11, 2006, 4:46 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #6

AFFO$ if you were a woman id marry you.
  7. Mar 11, 2006, 5:07 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #7

This is awesome! Thanls alot man!
    Mar 11, 2006, 5:54 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #8

Off topic a touch.. but what are those two helmets? The size difference is huge!!
    Mar 11, 2006, 9:10 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #9

The two helmets are a MS1 and a BKBT Jango I converted to a Boba. The picture is an optical illusion. From the angle I took it at, the BKBT helmet looks alot bigger because of its placement. The MS1 helmet is actually slightly taller, while the BKBT is bigger in diameter giving it a little more flared appearance. The thing I fell in love with about the BKBT helmet was the 'squintiness' of the visor. I know it's not screen accurate, but its a One of a Kind helmet and it's soooo Clint Eastwood. Here's a pic of the two helmets from a better angle, MS helmet on the left, BKBT on the right.

Name:	Cnv0001.jpg 
Views:	5239 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	9028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnv0004.jpg 
Views:	4940 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	9029  
    Mar 11, 2006, 11:06 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #10

Cool comparison pics!
    Is the vertical part of the visor skinnier on the BKBT helmet as well? It looks that way. (Don't know too much about Jango helms)
  11. cookiemongoloid is offline cookiemongoloid
    Mar 11, 2006, 11:51 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #11

Yeah it definitely is. And I like it. I never knew they could be graet boba helmets. This forum should be a sticky.
  12. Mar 12, 2006, 12:11 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #12

I concur, a sticky this thread should be made.
    Mar 12, 2006, 4:12 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #13

Thanks for the list!
    Have you done a RoTJ bucket? If so what are the optional colors from these?
    Mar 12, 2006, 8:36 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #14

Quote Rat_Fett said:
    Thanks for the list!
    Have you done a RoTJ bucket? If so what are the optional colors from these?
    Yes, I have. I will amend the list at the top to include the ROTJ Colors also. Here's an example of the one I have painted.

Name:	Grant's Pictures 175.jpg 
Views:	4813 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	9030  
    Mar 12, 2006, 6:04 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #15

Quote AFettFullofDollars said:
    Yes, I have. I will amend the list at the top to include the ROTJ Colors also. Here's an example of the one I have painted.
    Excellent, thanks much!
    Now off to the shops!

BTW, would love to also see front and rear shots of the RoTJ helmet.
    Last edited by Rat_Fett; Mar 12, 2006 at 6:11 PM.
    Mar 12, 2006, 6:27 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #16

Here ya' go.

By the way, the color on the back of the helmet in the pics is NOT 'Kelly Green'. I found the Kelly Green color after I had painted this helmet and I feel that it (Kelly Green) is a more accurate representation of the color on the back of the film used helmet.

Thanks,

Paul

Name:	Grant's Pictures 176.jpg 
Views:	4800 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	9039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grant's Pictures 178.jpg 
Views:	4720 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	9040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grant's Pictures 277.jpg 
Views:	4676 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	9041  

Mar 12, 2006, 7:30 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #17

Between the color list, the painting tips, and the soon to be templates, you've been quite the contributor lately.. I am so completely jealous of the skills that you have.. Everything you've done looks so amazing. Great work as always..
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Mar 14, 2006, 1:58 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #18

I have 2 quick noob questions. Before I begin, thank you AFFO$ for posting this list....I'm a teacher, and plan on using my upcoming spring break to begin my first Fett bucket.

My first question is, with spraypaints can i still use a masking solution and go with a layering technique? I like the idea of picking away the topical paint layer to reveal the chrome "damage" below, and then adding some of the greys on with a brush. My second question, is are these sprays pretty easy to find at places like Loews or Home Depot, or is it best to go to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby for this? I am hoping to do ESB style paint scheme.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Mar 14, 2006, 2:10 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #19

Quote Musical Fett said:
    I have 2 quick noob questions. Before I begin, thank you AFFO$ for posting this list....I'm a teacher, and plan on using my upcoming spring break to begin my first Fett bucket.

My first question is, with spraypaints can i still use a masking solution and go with a layering technique? I like the idea of picking away the topical paint layer to reveal the chrome "damage" below, and then adding some of the greys on with a brush. My second question, is are these sprays pretty easy to find at places like Loews or Home Depot, or is it best to go to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby for this? I am hoping to do ESB style paint scheme.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Musical Fett.... I was able to get a lot of the paints I needed at my local Wal-Mart! So, you should be able to get the pray paints fairly easy. As for the bottle paints like the PRR Maroon, or Lark Dark Gray, I'd suggest you hit up a hobby store like HobbyTown USA, or something simular in your area!

Hope the info helps!
    Mar 14, 2006, 2:35 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #20

Yes you can use spray cans and masking fluid. That's what TK7602 just did on his MS3.
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Mar 14, 2006, 3:43 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #21

Thanks a lot guys for the fast replies!
    Mar 14, 2006, 7:00 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #22

Quote WannaBeBoba said:
    Musical Fett.... I was able to get a lot of the paints I needed at my local Wal-Mart! So, you should be able to get the pray paints fairly easy. As for the bottle paints like the PRR Maroon, or Lark Dark Gray, I'd suggest you hit up a hobby store like HobbyTown USA, or something simular in your area!

Hope the info helps!
    I just cruised by my Wallyworld at lunch today.

I did find some of the paints but mine only carried the sortta "primary" colors, for the ColorPlace brands. Nothing like "Kelly Green" just green, and the orange was a gloss which I don't know if that was right or not.

The Krylons they had but, the "Italian Olive" was only a "satin", didn't know if that was right as the burgundy listed is "satin."

The only Rustoleum Aluminum was call "Metalic Aluminum" so I didn't know if that was correct either. And they had nothing in the "American Accent" line. So I may head over to Home Depot and a few others.
    Mar 14, 2006, 7:09 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #23

Quote Rat_Fett said:
    I just cruised by my Wallyworld at lunch today.

I did find some of the paints but mine only carried the sortta "primary" colors, for the ColorPlace brands. Nothing like "Kelly Green" just green, and the orange was a gloss which I don't know if that was right or not.

The Krylons they had but, the "Italian Olive" was only a "satin", didn't know if that was right as the burgundy listed is "satin."

The only Rustoleum Aluminum was call "Metalic Aluminum" so I didn't know if that was correct either. And they had nothing in the "American Accent" line. So I may head over to Home Depot and a few others.
    I'm sorry I didn't post it above. The 'American Accents' colors can be found at Lowe's. The Italian Olive is a Satin. You have to hit it with a shot of Dullcote to knock the shine down. Same with the orange. Dullcote kills the shine. I will amend this at the top of the list.
    Mar 14, 2006, 7:21 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #24

Hey FettFull
    What's your secret misting techinque? When I used to do this with model kits it would wind up as tiny "speckles" of paint, is that correct or is there a better way or attachment used?
    Mar 14, 2006, 7:25 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #25

RatFett... that's interesting. My Wal-Mart had the Spruce Green, Hunter Green, Burgandy Satin there... The only real problem I had was trying to find that Antique Blue. I went to Home Depot, OSH, and even K-Mart to look... no luck. I ended up getting something called Midnight Blue. It was the closest thing to Antique Blue I could find.

I guess I should say that you will have to check your local hardware stores and stuff as well. I just assumed that if mine carried the colors, others should as well.

sorry.