Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Boba Fett ESB Helmet Stencils

From
    Galati, Romania

Boba Fett ESB Helmet Stencils

I posted the ESB hero helmet stencils and the color separation in a separate thread, this way the files can be found with more ease. The colors try to replicate the ones seen in the movie (Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back).

--------------------------------------
    Update 29-11-2011
    All files (except the dome, but will follow) were replaced with new and improved ones wich are a better replica of the original ESB helmet.

Update 15-12-2011
    The dome files were replaced with new and improved ones wich are a better replica of the original ESB helmet.

Update 17-12-2011
    Added the Dome Top image which is an approximation of that area, but helpful for everybody.

Update 11-02-2012
    Added two small red scratches on the top of the left mandible and the weathered Reefer Grey (same as the dome area) to the left lower cheek (thanks to Terminal Fettler and Jayvee). Also added the darker stain to the right lower cheek.
    changes-jpg

The white stains are not in the stencils on these two areas, because these are made by hand:
    white-stain-jpg

Update 14-02-2012
    Corrected a small area on the lower left ear (thanks Jayvee!). The 'Ears And Rangefinder' files were replaced, and the 'Helmet Perspective View' file too:
    left-ear-correction-jpg

Update 03-03-2012
    Major changes in all files!!!
    Added the Base Gray color to the Red Face, Cheeks, Back Plates (this color actually replaces the Mint Green color) and Dome. This Base Gray is the first coat applied on the helmet and is visible because with the unmasking process they pulled (accidentally) the Bright Silver paint on some areas. Changed the base green color of the left ear. Added more red spots on the Red Face. The Ears and Rangefinder stencil was redone, especially the left ear, the right ear and the ear decals. Added the rust-like marks around the killstripes, which I think is actually just a residue of the sprayed killstripe color along the masked area.

Most of the latest updates are from the discussions between Jayvee and me and can be found in Jayvee's awesome paint up thread here ==> Jayvee's Deluxe ESB Paint UP (With An Awesome BGHunter Lid)
    Jayvee's thread (among others) is a good example of how you can paint an excellent helmet with great talent and a lot of love, using others helps and tips (all the great painters who are/were at TDH) and with a little bit of help using the stencils.

Update 25-03-2012/07-10-2013
    By request I will upload all the separation files in archived JPG files for easy edit for those who want to alter the dimensions of the stencils.

So far the ZIP files were removed due to post restrictions (25 images/files in each post).

Update 17-05-2012
    Clonecollector had the idea to add an image with the physical damage of the ESB helmet in this thread:
    clonecollector said: View Post
    Hey Rafal,

Could you add this image to your ESB Helmet Templates thread?

That way I (and I'm sure others) can see all the ESB Helmet details in one place? Thanks!
    The image is at the end of this post. Thanks!

Major update 07-10-2013
    All the stencils were removed and replaced with a better version (the v2) which still uses the old scheme but was tweaked and re-sized to fit the more accurate RWH v2 templates and possibly all the close-to-screen-accurate helmets. The tweaking includes the problematic back plates and the cheeks, so most of the parts were more or less modified to fit the new templates. The dent stencil was slightly reduced in size, while the dome area was stretched to fit the wider dome circumference (the first template was a bit smaller). The dome top scratch and the rear keyhole were also perfected along with the ears.

Red Face and Rear Keyhole
    esb-red-face-keyhole-jpg

Color Separation
    Red Face & Keyhole A4.pdf
    Red Face & Keyhole LTR.pdf

Back Plates
    esb-back-plates-jpg

Color Separation
    Back Plate A4.pdf
    Back Plate LTR.pdf

Cheeks
    esb-cheeks-jpg

Color Separation
    Cheeks A4.pdf
    Cheeks LTR.pdf

Dome
    esb-dome-jpg

Color Separation
    Dome A4.pdf
    Dome LTR.pdf

Note that the Panzer Olive (Weathered) is actually Bright Silver painted on top (at least the painter tried to mask that color) with Panzer Olive Green. Also the color variation on the dent is due to the extreme dirt-like weathering, this is why you will see Reefer Gray/Reefer Gray (Weathered) and Bright Silver/Bright Silver (Weathered). Here's an image that shows the difference:

dent-weathered-jpg

Dome Top Area
    esb-dome-top-jpg

Ears and Rangefinder
    esb-ears-jpg

Color Separation
    Ears & Rangefinder A4.pdf
    Ears & Rangefinder LTR.pdf

Placement of the physical damages on the ESB Hero helmet
    esb-physical-damage3-jpg

Helmet Perspective View (this image is for guidance to see where to fit those nasty scratches)
    esb-helmet-assembly-jpg

And the old file, just to show you the differences
    face-color-template-jpg

Have fun with these files!
    Last edited by RafalFett; Oct 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Replaced all the stencils.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Re: Boba Fett ESB Helmet Stencils

your an animal

From
    Galati, Romania

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    your an animal
    I guess in a good way...

Thanks, Fett 4 Real!

From
    Newport News, VA

The last picture looks like poor Boba got trampled by a herd of Banthas.

Nice work!

From
    Galati, Romania

superjedi said: View Post
    The last picture looks like poor Boba got trampled by a herd of Banthas.

Nice work!
    Thanks a lot, superjedi!
    Oh well! That was my biggest secret and now it's gone... I have to fire that Tusken Raider with his Bantha herd too.

From
    Denver, CO

These are great, thanks for all you do....

From
    Lewis Center, OH

These look great! I have downloaded the AOSW files already, but I may want to use these. Can someone tell me if there are any major differences?

From
    Galati, Romania

CaptainSolo said: View Post
    These are great, thanks for all you do....
    Thanks!

DarthVeach said: View Post
    These look great! I have downloaded the AOSW files already, but I may want to use these. Can someone tell me if there are any major differences?
    Well, the main difference is that the AoSW stencils has all the extra scratches that appeared after the filming of ESB while in my paint and scratches scheme I tried to ignore those extra scratches. But in both cases the stencils are just the tip of the iceberg, the hardest part is the way you apply all of this and all the weathering implied. I think the best paint artists of TDH can tell more about this...

From
    Judenburg, Austria

Great work Rafal ! An awesome help when i start to paint my bucket ;-) Thanks ^^

From
    Galati, Romania

RedArc said: View Post
    Great work Rafal ! An awesome help when i start to paint my bucket ;-) Thanks ^^
    Thanks, RedArc!

From
    bristol , tennessee

Thank you very much for your hard work brother! This will help me immensely!

From
    Galati, Romania

Brail khan said: View Post
    Thank you very much for your hard work brother! This will help me immensely!
    Thanks for the kind words, Brail khan! I'm happy that I can help my fellow fettheads.

It's a shame that electronic files don't weight anything, because these things are worth their weight in gold. Absolutely invaluable information, thank you so much for all the hard work.

From
    Galati, Romania

Filandrius said: View Post
    It's a shame that electronic files don't weight anything, because these things are worth their weight in gold. Absolutely invaluable information, thank you so much for all the hard work.
    Thanks! You are too kind, but my goal wasn't to earn anything in its material value.

From
    PA

These are incredible. I will most certainly be using these when I paint my asok CC.

From
    Galati, Romania

crow86 said: View Post
    These are incredible. I will most certainly be using these when I paint my asok CC.
    Thanks!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Hi Raf - mate, in the middle of an ESB paintup at the moment (will update the thread soon), and let me just say, your stencils have been invaluble - really fantastic stuff. What I have tried to do, is use the stencils, but also meticulously study the reference pics to get as close as I can. I found one small innacuracy on the back panels i just thought to share - please dont take this in any way, shape or form as a bad thing - as your stencils are the closest you can get bar none. I only point it out, as I'm sure so many people will use your stencils, that just thought to get supreme accuracy for the benefit of everyone

It's just a very minor detail on the Left hand panel (I have circled the area in the picture in yellow.) The long, jagged protrusion has actually been left grey in the stencils, but as you can see in the ref pic, it is actually predominately beige, with some small grey areas within. It also seems that between that and the top little extension, there is actually a bigger gap than in the stencils.

Again, very minor, and i'm a huge fan of your work and everything you do for these boards, so please dont think there is any ungratefullness in my rant - more just me being a pedantic old fart cheers buddy, peace..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails minor-change-jpg  

From
    Galati, Romania

Wow! Thanks for pointing this out! I had in my mind to do some corrections to the ESB stencils and I will do in the near future.

Thanks again!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Very welcome mate :-)

From
    Galati, Romania

All the stencils will be replaced with some accurate ones (these are not corrected, but made from scratch). I want to thank Britt Dietz for the awesome hi-rez images in the Gallery (the first entry in the C-IV section) that were a real help to recreate all the small scratches. I also used all the stills and screen captures (including my own captures) from ESB to do it as accurate as can be.
    The first post was updated with some comparison images, while the remade stencils will follow shortly.

The 'red face' is more detailed (same as the other parts) and while some of the scratches were removed, others were rearranged to fit the overall pattern.

The back plate base color is more darker (as should be) and is more refined then the previous one. I also fixed the scratch color mistake pointed out by Jayvee at post #17 (thanks again!).

The cheeks were corrected and some small scratches removed.

The dome is still in work and will be updated last.

Thanks for your patience and confidence!

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Thanks for your hard work and dedication! I will be doing a repaint soon and I will be using your stencils!

From
    Galati, Romania

clonecollector said: View Post
    Thanks for your hard work and dedication! I will be doing a repaint soon and I will be using your stencils!
    Thanks!

The first post was updated with the replaced files (except the dome -will follow shortly and the ears/rangefinder - no need to replace).

Have fun!

Jayvee said: View Post
    Hi Raf - mate, in the middle of an ESB paintup at the moment (will update the thread soon), and let me just say, your stencils have been invaluble - really fantastic stuff. What I have tried to do, is use the stencils, but also meticulously study the reference pics to get as close as I can. I found one small innacuracy on the back panels i just thought to share - please dont take this in any way, shape or form as a bad thing - as your stencils are the closest you can get bar none. I only point it out, as I'm sure so many people will use your stencils, that just thought to get supreme accuracy for the benefit of everyone

It's just a very minor detail on the Left hand panel (I have circled the area in the picture in yellow.) The long, jagged protrusion has actually been left grey in the stencils, but as you can see in the ref pic, it is actually predominately beige, with some small grey areas within. It also seems that between that and the top little extension, there is actually a bigger gap than in the stencils.

Again, very minor, and i'm a huge fan of your work and everything you do for these boards, so please dont think there is any ungratefullness in my rant - more just me being a pedantic old fart cheers buddy, peace..

wow, amazing eyes.

From
    PA

Question on your PDF for the back panels Raf. You have listed two Reefer Grays in it. One is gray, the other looks to be a couple shades darker then the RLM73.

From
    Galati, Romania

crow86 said: View Post
    Question on your PDF for the back panels Raf. You have listed two Reefer Grays in it. One is gray, the other looks to be a couple shades darker then the RLM73.
    I think is the same color, but one color is applied over the concrete giving it a lighter shade, while the other is painted over the base color, this is why it looks darker.