WIP: Westar 34 Blaster

Campii

New Hunter
Hello everyone!

After browsing this forum for awhile, decided to take the plunge and start a thread of my own! Hope you enjoy!

This is my first project in the 3D Printed space. I've had a Ender 3 for a few short weeks and after trying and failed so, so many prints, I have finally started to get pieces I like.

Jango Fett has always been one of my favorites in the SWU. I grew up during the Clone Wars era, and still love those movies despite their many many flaws.

Anyways, I grabbed an STL off Thingiverse and got started with the print. The entire thing is printed in PETG with 20% infill.
20220104_112523.jpg

The print lines on this piece weren't so great, but it was a starting point. One of my biggest regrets in this build was not spending enough time sanding! Honestly, a proper sand job makes all the difference in the world, and I quickly figured this out on my very first build!

20220109_173146.jpg

The pieces, once sanded, were sprayed with a coat or two of Rustoleum Sandable Filler, which is absolutely amazing stuff. I will always be keeping this on hand. After I had a desired shape and smoothness, I hit it with some bondo in the rough looking patches, waited for it to dry, and hit it again with more sand paper.
20220109_173159.jpg

If there is one thing I am going to regret, it's going to be not spending enough time with the handle. Oh well, lesson learned I guess!
20220109_201517.jpg

Few days after, I FINALLY got this barrel to print properly. Oh my god, was this my biggest pain point. I had spent forever and a half trying to print it on its side, and it always failed. I think this is attempt #4, and I was so happy I could have cried.
20220109_220957.jpg

This picture is missing some pieces yet, but I absolutely had to dry fit the main components together just so I could have a sense of the finished product. I gotta say, this was my favorite part so far! Putting all these little pieces together into a (almost) finished product was the greatest experience. I'm in love with this new hobby of mine!
20220110_232123.jpg

I took my learned lesson from the handle and sanded the barrel down as best as I possibly could. I even wet sanded it, which is a very satisfying way to do it. So far, so good!

More pictures coming soon, as the build is not yet finished.

A few questions for anyone who has done this before!

I want a genuine silver/chrome finish on the barrel components. I was considering hitting it with a black spray paint, and then going over it with some of this stuff
paste.PNG

Does anyone have any experience with stuff like this? I think it would make weathering a breeze.

And one more thing, there is a little brass cap that sits right here:
brass cap.PNG

Anyone know where I could obtain one of these pieces? I know I have seen something like this before, but I cannot seem to find them for the life of me!

And one more thing, there is a little brass cap that sits right here:View attachment 218998

Anyone know where I could obtain one of these pieces? I know I have seen something like this before, but I cannot seem to find them for the life of me!

I'm not super familiar with the Westar 34 but it looks like it could be a brass cap nut/dome nut? You can find them at just about any hardware store.
Capsadfasdfture.PNG

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back