WIP ROTJ Fett

Got weathering done on minutefett armor, tomorrow I’ll add jewelry backs to armor for attachment method. I was going to weather flightsuit/flak vest and gloves but I got email from Arkady the other day saying she shipped out my new vest so I’ll wait for that to arrive first. Getting close now lol. May also add bit more highlights to shoulders and knees.

Attachments

• E18BC74D-6DA6-4FB3-A883-EA87D97B2C83.jpeg
    E18BC74D-6DA6-4FB3-A883-EA87D97B2C83.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
My new flak vest from Arkady arrived today can’t wait to attach the armour to it, getting close to the finish line.

Attachments

• 2A5476D6-8520-4457-9598-05514BFD95E6.jpeg
    2A5476D6-8520-4457-9598-05514BFD95E6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • 67E3FF75-8BCA-44B5-9BDF-6D9C9A91C319.jpeg
    67E3FF75-8BCA-44B5-9BDF-6D9C9A91C319.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 89
Did you end up going with your own green mix or the medium green?
Here is a pic of both sets weathered the medium green is nice but I like em both, I’ll see which looks better when the suit is assembled I can’t decide lol.

Attachments

• 289E44A8-AF3F-4837-9607-1C4AC08EF536.jpeg
    289E44A8-AF3F-4837-9607-1C4AC08EF536.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 91
  • 88ADF51D-B80C-4FCD-B3E2-AA78C8170EC8.jpeg
    88ADF51D-B80C-4FCD-B3E2-AA78C8170EC8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 93
Probably doing jewelry attachment at first then maybe down the road bolt/grommets. Just afraid to put holes in the wrong spots lol.
crash22
No doubt is doing the grommet method a lot harder to do. At least for me it was. But again has been totally worth it. I'll outline how I accomplished this....

To start, I initially used hot glued for the the Stainless Steel bolts (#10-32 1/2 inch) onto the armor - which held ok for a few troops, but then one by one they started to break free from the armor. I have since replaced the Hot Glue with Epoxy (JB Weld's Plastic Bonder) and is it hasn't broke free at all....
Screws Placed and Hot Glued.jpg

And you'll want to be sure you DO NOT put them right at the edges of the armor - and this is because you DO NOT want any of the grommets peeking out from underneath the armor. And one last pro tip is to use a single drop of super glue to hold the bolt to the armor, then apply your epoxy.

But once that is done, you'll want place your armor on your vest and then mark it out so you'll know where to put in the grommets, to do so refer to the steps and picture below...
Step 1: Place your armor with flat grommet pieces under it, and adjust where needed to get the armor looking right.
Step 2: Using something long and skinny (I used a long scissors) maneuver the grommets in a way that they'll seat the screw just right. Also go under the fabric and gently lift it to see if the screw will land correctly in the grommet.
Step 3: Do Step 2, for all other grommets.
Step 4: Very gently lift the armor leaving the flat grommets in place and then with a sharpie, put a dot in the center of the grommets.
Armor Placement.jpg

And then for the Grommet installation (I used 3/8 inch Grommets) it was quite simple but it took forever to install them. But here is how I did that...
Step 1: Hammer on the grommet cutting tool, which doesn't cut Arkady's material by the way.
Step 2: You can see the circle indent it makes.
Step 3: Using a hobby knife, cut out the hole.
Step 4: You'll also have some padding to deal with underneath, so make sure to clean that out.
Step 5: Using the Grommet Cutting Tool Hammer the hole again. (This is for the reverse side)
Step 6: Flip the Vest over and you should see the indent, Using a hobby knife, cut that piece out.
Step 7: Put on the Grommet.
Step 8: Pound on the Grommet.
Grommet Procedure.jpg

Now, I'm not saying.....
The Mandalorian - This is the Way.jpg

But it was the way that worked out well for me. And let it be known that my ROTJ Boba Fett was thee very first cosplay I did! I'm not gonna lie though, in doing this....I felt quite queasy but I powered through it and the benefits of doing it paid off. And I think it looks good and I've not had one issue in trooping with this setup.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Cheers,
-Iron

crash22
No doubt is doing the grommet method a lot harder to do. At least for me it was. But again has been totally worth it. I'll outline how I accomplished this....

To start, I initially used hot glued for the the Stainless Steel bolts (#10-32 1/2 inch) onto the armor - which held ok for a few troops, but then one by one they started to break free from the armor. I have since replaced the Hot Glue with Epoxy (JB Weld's Plastic Bonder) and is it hasn't broke free at all....
View attachment 234096
And you'll want to be sure you DO NOT put them right at the edges of the armor - and this is because you DO NOT want any of the grommets peeking out from underneath the armor. And one last pro tip is to use a single drop of super glue to hold the bolt to the armor, then apply your epoxy.

But once that is done, you'll want place your armor on your vest and then mark it out so you'll know where to put in the grommets, to do so refer to the steps and picture below...
Step 1: Place your armor with flat grommet pieces under it, and adjust where needed to get the armor looking right.
Step 2: Using something long and skinny (I used a long scissors) maneuver the grommets in a way that they'll seat the screw just right. Also go under the fabric and gently lift it to see if the screw will land correctly in the grommet.
Step 3: Do Step 2, for all other grommets.
Step 4: Very gently lift the armor leaving the flat grommets in place and then with a sharpie, put a dot in the center of the grommets.
View attachment 234097

And then for the Grommet installation (I used 3/8 inch Grommets) it was quite simple but it took forever to install them. But here is how I did that...
Step 1: Hammer on the grommet cutting tool, which doesn't cut Arkady's material by the way.
Step 2: You can see the circle indent it makes.
Step 3: Using a hobby knife, cut out the hole.
Step 4: You'll also have some padding to deal with underneath, so make sure to clean that out.
Step 5: Using the Grommet Cutting Tool Hammer the hole again. (This is for the reverse side)
Step 6: Flip the Vest over and you should see the indent, Using a hobby knife, cut that piece out.
Step 7: Put on the Grommet.
Step 8: Pound on the Grommet.
View attachment 234101

Now, I'm not saying.....
View attachment 234102

But it was the way that worked out well for me. And let it be known that my ROTJ Boba Fett was thee very first cosplay I did! I'm not gonna lie though, in doing this....I felt quite queasy but I powered through it and the benefits of doing it paid off. And I think it looks good and I've not had one issue in trooping with this setup.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Cheers,
-Iron
Very detailed step by step with pics, I’m definitely going to save this for the future. I think at first I’ll use the jewelry attachment and once I’m happy with which set of armour I’m using and it’s placement and fitting then I’ll go to the grommets as it is more permanent.

Added some weathering to the flight suit, tomorrow I’ll do the gloves and attach the armour to the flak vest. Just waiting for the jet pack harness to arrive than I can put the whole thing together.

Attachments

• 523D5C34-233A-48C2-A238-BF5D3A128B71.jpeg
    523D5C34-233A-48C2-A238-BF5D3A128B71.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Today my machined knee darts arrived, I’ll get these installed today now just waiting for the jet pack harness and I’m done.

Attachments

• D7D285C7-1C32-4F1F-91A1-03F45196F202.jpeg
    D7D285C7-1C32-4F1F-91A1-03F45196F202.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Jet pack harness arrived today, just have to attach divers buckle. I’ll do some final adjustments to my costume this weekend and when my wife’s off next week I’ll get her to help me suit up and takes some pics.

Attachments

• C56D2E33-9876-4FF8-B43B-44779EE4D522.jpeg
    C56D2E33-9876-4FF8-B43B-44779EE4D522.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
Right on! Well it looks good. I got mine 2nd hand in the cargo hold. It was one of the first Big Dane kits ever released (I verified with Big Dane and he verified that it was indeed one of his kits) The seller said it was never worn by a human, nor trooped in, but was on a mannequin. I had to find parts to get it up to snuff with his current offering. But it also came with a FullMetalFett US Divers Replica Belt Buckle, which made it a nice little deal. But here is what I ended up with when it was all said and done.
All Parts.jpg

Step 2: Is to shed a little weight so I can fit into this with my vest over it.

Right now, I have a MoW Jetpack Harness and it does well.
Full Metal Fett Hook Added to MoW Vest.jpg

I like the fact it is super low profile, but every now and again the neck line does creep up and strangle me a little. Just enough to be annoying. All I do to remedy the issue is use my finger tips to reach under the vest grab the harness and pull down - problem solved. Gonna be nice to not be choked, plus I like the added benefit of having the bar at the bottom to help hold the JP up.

Concerning that bar on yours, mine was also squared off and pretty sharp. I'd recommend to round off the edges with a Dremel tool (With a grinding bit). Didn't take long and it made it so I wouldn't have to worry about it drawing blood on either me or a handler.

-Iron

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back