Ord Mantell's ESB build

The collar is not painted yellow, but the base of the rocket/grappling hook:
ESB Jetpack Collar No Paint.png

A few months back I sold this baby, my 1915 Mark 1, SN#540:

IMG_6983.jpg

It went to Airmarshal, aka Fieldmarshal on RPF, to finish his EE3 all aluminum CNC project, so I lucked out. We all did. Soon metal copies of this will be available to all, and part of the deal I made with Chris was I would recieve #001 off the line. Like I said, I lucked out. So here it is now (from Airmarshal's thread):

IMG_4743.jpg

I sold it mostly because I didn't want to have to engineer the mannequin display to handle the heavy weight. The replicas have gotten really good and are far easier to accommodate without much trouble. And today, my replacement replica arrived. I couldn't be more pleased.

IMG_8283 2.JPG

I have to say, as someone who owned a real one for a decade, this Sidewinder is truly superb and is indistinguishable from the real thing. What a beautiful reproduction it is. I ordered it assembled and painted by Sidewinder because his pictures were so impressive. And it looks even better in person. I also bought one maybe 11 years ago and I just have to say this is orders of magnitude superior. So impressed with this. A work of art to be sure. Not to nitpick but of course there are minor details that will need to be repainted/weathered differently. I will save that for a later post when I get to it. The good news is that it's about 100 million times lighter than a real one and the manny handles it just fine.

Gauntlets arrived a couple days ago. Some pre-assembly happening.

IMG_8327.JPG

gathering the extra bits that have been sitting around for a decade...

IMG_8325.JPG

When the discovery of the ever ready minilight was made, I was off heavily involved in other things and not really paying much attention. After all, I was still waiting for my armor to arrive for the previous three years so my focus was elsewhere. I missed out on the rush to gobble them up off the interwebs. I suspect the only ones left at this point not already in the hands of TDH'ers are scattered in Earth's crust in landfills. I've been hunting for the past year and have come up empty. So until I go for that vacation on a 40 year old landfill with my shovel, the gauntlet kit does come with a resin replica. But I felt it was missing something critical. The bulb. So I drilled a hole where the bulb should peek out...

IMG_8322.JPG

got an ever ready replacement bulb... and did my best to seat it into the replica like an original to serve as a stand-in until I can get a real one. It doesn't actually light up, but I'm not that terribly interested in it being a functional replacement. I don't know squat about leptons and photons and all that... electricity stuff.

IMG_8324.JPG
IMG_8330.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8330.JPG
    IMG_8330.JPG
    908.3 KB · Views: 244
I know for most of you this will not be news, but I've seen enough ESB jetpacks with the yellow on the grappling hook to see that plenty of people, myself included, are getting a minor detail of the ESB jetpack wrong because of the ESB Fett publicity photo shoot, juxtaposed here nicely with a production frame by Rafalfett:

esb-jetpack-collar-no-paint-png.png

As pointed out earlier, I noticed scene 371 didn't have the yellow on the grappling hook above the collar. I watched ESB over the weekend with my kids and further noted that there is no yellow on the grappling hook -- period. Not in any scene in the movie. I know most everybody relies heavily on those publicity shoot photos because they are the best photos we have of the ESB jetpack, but it's misleading. At some point before the costume joined in principal photography they nixed the yellow stripe. Who knows why. So for the record, the yellow above the collar is not screen accurate. Keep it green.

Last edited:
The screencaps didn't show the yellow above the collar, but it is there (some colors and details are washed out). You can clearly see the color on all the available publicity photos.

The screencaps didn't show the yellow above the collar, but it is there (some colors and details are washed out). You can clearly see the color on all the available publicity photos.

I'm not sure I agree. You might be right but, looking at the source, seems to me the yellow got painted over. Comparing two sources:

thecasefornoyellow.jpg

obviously anyone can paint their jetpack any way they choose. It's my interpretation of the evidence that the yellow shouldn't be added, but I'll gladly change course if there is good evidence for it.

Last edited:
In most of the screencaps the metal collar is reflecting the light which makes the collar to look bigger than is and also reduces the size of the yellow strip making it 'missing' - this is how I see it. The publicity photos were made on stage and shows the same suit; all the small color-changes of the suit can be seen in screencaps and publicity shots: the gray repair smudge on the left gauntlet, the inconsistent collar stud colors and so on. But in the end it is your call...

Ord,
Totally unrelated question.....What program are you using to add the arrows to you pictures? In the past I've used Windows Paint & Microsoft Word, but this doesn't look like either.

Totally unrelated question.....What program are you using to add the arrows to you pictures? In the past I've used Windows Paint & Microsoft Word, but this doesn't look like either.

photoshop mostly. I'm on a mac so I also sometimes use Preview for quick and dirty markups (pictured).

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 1.14.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 1.14.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 1.14.05 PM.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 221

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back