General WIP ESB Boba Fett; scratch build progress updates

Been busy making improvements. Did some work on my jetpack, adding piano keys and overhang to the top edge, paint details. Made new tank caps of carstock, filled with spray foam, lots of paint.

IMG_20161004_213003.jpg

Made better shin tools from sintra and aluminum tube. Old "placeholder" tools were foamcore.

IMG_20161006_213821.jpg

Here I am with some south sound 501st members (I'm not a member yet, this wasn't a 501st troop) at a local library for their Star Wars night. I'll swap over some parts the BB-8 builder printed for me, jets and rocket, then apply. Need to dirty my suit and vest some more. Need to add cuffs to my gloves. But their feedback was that I'm very close if not there in terms of applying for approval.

IMG_20161007_201406187.jpg

Greg,whole thing is coming together nicely. Love the flame thrower. I need to start working on mine in a hurry. I'm getting close on my whipcord launcher. If you decide to build a full size EE-3 and want to scratch build it let me know if you need some help/advice. I based mine on a a Crosman pellet gun I bought used off of Gunbroker. Got it for $20 I think. Little bondo, MDF, PVC, and duct tape later, ... ESB EE-3. It was one of the most fun parts of my build.

Keep the updates coming!

Main

Thanks Main, the EE-3 is next on the to-do list. I have trooped with the toy ROTJ blaster mostly to have something to hold and that makes light and sounds, but it looks tiny in my hands.

My EE-3 plan is to re-use the toy revolver I based last halloween's version on, but with an ABS/chrome pipe barrel instead of cardboard, and all the necessary greeblies. The scope with be a trick to fabricate, as well as the stock but I have the skills and materials for the stock. I plan to move the electronics from the ROTJ toy over to my EE-3. Once the rifle is done my costume will be complete.

Glad to announce in this build thread, which shall continue with various projects like my EE-3, gauntlet and helmet upgrades, etc..

I've been accepted into Garrison Titan of the 501st Legion as of today.

I should add some thank you's. In addition to everyone who provided general advice and encouragement, there are a few people who provided specific parts I'd like to thank by name. In no particular order:

01 Hawk for accurate left gauntlet keypad
eqdizzle for super-cool helmet fans
salamanderking for gee-whiz rangefinder lights, servo
Darth Vorhees for amazing EE-3 greeblies yet to be used on my next project (the ESB EE-3), and a Casio circuit board cast for my helmet
jc27 for cool jetpack beacon light
woodman for awesome wookie hair braids
RafalFett via Shapeways for excellent jetpack beacon housing, other jetpack greeblies, gauntlet greeblies and missile
Ian Martin, Fellow Garrison Titan member, for perfect 3D printed sidearm, jetpack rocket and thrusters

I hope I didn't forget anyone. In addition to the parts, I want to thank the following folks for their templates, tutorials and patterns:

Darth Mule for flak vest pattern tutorial
WOF's templates for the helmet, gauntlets, armor, jetpack, shin tools and flamethrower
strumfett's tutorial for the ammo belt
Rafalworks templates for paint damage and insignia
toolguy301's pepakura pattern for my sidearm holster.

The rest is scratch built from illustration board, paper cardstock, styrofoam, sintra, cardboard tube, aluminum tube, wood dowels, cotton cloth using a pajama pattern, painter's tarp, lots of spray paint, you name it!

A special thank you to my spouse and kiddo who shall remain nameless here, but who put up with what became an obsession. Now that this milestone has been reached I can agonize over details and upgrade to sintra gauntlets and possibly helmet, and finish my EE-3.

Finally got one of those large wheeled bins, husky brand. My ESB Fett fits in nicely, room to spare.

73fb58c73919d27c8aacffcd64062604.jpg

Last time I stored my costume I broke the surprisingly delicate rocket from its base, so I changed how it mounts to a stud and captive nut method. I tried a couple of different glues and settled on JB weld epoxy, worked great in the end. Added round toothpicks to secure the hooks to the rocket, previously I used nails which were too loose. The toothpicks were a nice press fit.

Congrats on your acceptance! I had recently purchased a storage bin much like yours, and I'm glad to see yours in action. Though I've yet to see a fett stored in person, their bins were plenty full with trooper gear, vader, zuckuss, and more! Looks great, and congrats again!

Congrats on your acceptance! I had recently purchased a storage bin much like yours, and I'm glad to see yours in action. Though I've yet to see a fett stored in person, their bins were plenty full with trooper gear, vader, zuckuss, and more! Looks great, and congrats again!
Thanks! I had a bin that held everything even with the jetpack assembled, but this is better because it has wheels and a handle. The top tray is actually super handy!

Last edited by a moderator:
EE-3 progress... I finished the metal part and the stock, and had to rush to get something assembled for my first official 501st troop.

Metal stock-to-grip part, made from 1/4" aluminum flat stock. Cut out on a scrollsaw and finished with dremel tool and sanders.

IMG_20161105_142243413.jpg

The stock, made from 2x6 cedar (for lightness) and shaped on a belt sander. Mortised using a 1/2" forstner bit and chisels. Stained with Minwax.

IMG_20161105_214654648.jpg

"Scope" made from 1/2" pvc conduit and union. 2 10' lengths of conduit were used to get the bell ends, and mated in the center with the union, which is beveled on one end. One bell end was trimmed short and the resulting ring was used as a detail at the other end. I fashioned adjustment knobs from sintra (not shown, see next pic) and glued them to the scope before painting and mounting with screws and conduit straps to block of wood.

IMG_20161105_175623641.jpg

How it all came together. The barrel is 1-1/2" ABS drain tailpiece, and the tip is 1-1/2" chromed brass drain tailpiece drilled according to plans I found on this site. Quicky paint job and strap tied on literally last-minute. Stock greeblies glued on but also pinned with brads since the glue would not be dry before I needed to carry it. Molex connectors tied on with zipties for this troop. V8 rod details not finished for this troop.

IMG_20161107_202500856.jpg

At the 501st booth for my first official troop at the Jet City Comic Con. It was fun!

IMG_20161106_162219.jpg

Made some much needed alterations to my gloves. I bought 2 cotton painter's hoods at the hardware store and dyed them gray. Then took one and cut the closed part into two strips, made stretchy cuffs for my gloves. Stitched them by hand last night but wasn't happy with the results.

Dug out a hand-me-down Pfaff sewing machine and learned to use it. Re-sewed the cuffs with plain zigzag stitching, much better. I'll probably enlarge the opening on the remaining hood but my hope is it'll keep kids from remarking they can see my chin.

a24d318d4a9b18a57e1211e17e8a21af.jpg

Made some much needed alterations to my gloves. I bought 2 cotton painter's hoods at the hardware store and dyed them gray. Then took one and cut the closed part into two strips, made stretchy cuffs for my gloves. Stitched them by hand last night but wasn't happy with the results.

Dug out a hand-me-down Pfaff sewing machine and learned to use it. Re-sewed the cuffs with plain zigzag stitching, much better. I'll probably enlarge the opening on the remaining hood but my hope is it'll keep kids from remarking they can see my chin.

a24d318d4a9b18a57e1211e17e8a21af.jpg
Yeh kids will.bother the crap out of you if they can see your chin or nose through the visor. I guess it makes em feel cool if they get an idea of what you look like. Or they think its cool to prove your not the real boba fett lol.

Alex

Here's a pic from my latest troop at my local hands-on children's museum. I was the only 501st member available, so we invited the Mercs as well.

We had a good time, although it was a challenge near the end with some of the less sober event attendees. It was an "adult swim" fundraiser for the museum with a "cosmonauts and cocktails" theme.

Just prior to the event I finally riveted a buckle to my gauntlet hose, and sewed the mate to some elastic in my suit. The new hood and glove cuffs worked great!

5ca134739bb5de3c7bdcfc13aed39e64.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back