Which material is best?

ShaolinShogun

New Hunter
If there is already a thread on this topic, please direct me as I have searched but haven't really found anything.

From what I have been able to gather as a newbie, there are 2 types of material used to make the helmets and armor: fiberglass and ABS plastic/resin. Is one really better than the other, such as durability, price, and weight? Should I make my build out of one material entirely, or split it such as helmet from fiberglass and armor from the ABS plastic/resin? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shaolin Shogun

Unfortunately this was supposed to be posted under the Boba Fett thread, but not sure on how to move it here. Guess the questions could be answered for either Jango or Boba.

If there is already a thread on this topic, please direct me as I have searched but haven't really found anything.

From what I have been able to gather as a newbie, there are 2 types of material used to make the helmets and armor: fiberglass and ABS plastic/resin. Is one really better than the other, such as durability, price, and weight? Should I make my build out of one material entirely, or split it such as helmet from fiberglass and armor from the ABS plastic/resin? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shaolin Shogun

Armor can be made of any material you choose as long as you know how to work the material

mine is made from aluminum plate

IMG_1133.JPG

There is also gel coat and cold cast. Which is basically fiberglass / resin. Cold cast has aluminum powder mixed with the resin and can be polished out to look like metal. This seems to be what most screen accurate Jango costumes are made of. Boba doesn't really matter as much since the armor is painted so you could probably get away with gel coat (cheaper than cold cast). I would suggest making all of your armor from the same material primarily because paint sometimes looks different when applied to different materials. But that's my opinion.
Metal would definitely be the best choice for durability no clue on price though. Fiberglass / gel coat or cold cast would be my second choice. ABS or Sintra is the easiest and cheapest stuff to work with but personally I don't think it looks as good.

I would agree to use the same material for all the armor parts-makes sense for uniformity. I have been thinking of going the fiberglass road. More than likely will just have to buy the armor for my own sake and sanity, rather than fighting with how it looks and basically how to do it. More rewarding to do it yourself I am sure, but sometimes its best to get things done right the first time and learn from there. Thanks for the insight.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back