What glue not to use to install a visor!

mgr

Active Hunter
I learned an important lesson. After much thought, I decided to put a new visor in my Rubies jango bucket. I got alot of great tips on how to go about this and what to use for the visor, glue tips etc.

I went out and picked up a tinted welders mask(thanks mrfett)and it worked great. I cut it and installed it w/ 2 part epoxy(thanks shawnpane, it held solid) I then decided that a little thick super glue around the edges would make it bullet proof. (bad idea#1)

Those of you That watch the show CSI Know the best way to lift a finger print off of an object is w/ super glue in an enclosed environment, much like my finger prints on the inside of my visor w/ my bucket turned upside down.

I awoke this morning to find my prints welded into my visor. Now I have never come across this problem before but everyone and thier brother knows how to take super glue off something, you use nail polish remover(bad idea #2). I never thought that a mask that protects you from sparks would cloud up when nail polish was used.

Just thought I would share...

You might be able to salvage it by sanding out with progressively finer sandpaper & lots of water until you get to about 1600 grit. There are clear plastic polishes that will take care of the rest of the fine scratching. A dremmel with a polishing pad will speed things up. I had to do this on my visor because I let it get a little too hot when I thermoformed it & the cookie sheet left some imprints on it. It all worked fine for me.

Bet you'll ask first next time, won't ya? ;)

Well, it's probably little consolation, but at least you'll never make *that* mistake again! :)

Just got the novus polishes today at an acrylic place. The owner gave me a little sample pac of each one free! What a nice guy. Any way the stuff worked great considering how I skrewed the visor up in the first place.
Thanks to all who responded for the help on this one:)

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back