Weathering flight suit

Blaster1965

Jr Hunter
Hi just interested if anyone has used dirty down weathering and aging spray on there flight suit im reliably told this has been used on production pieces in the past .any thoughts ?

Mine was pre-weathered but I've topped it up using Dirty Down, and used it on other stuff. It's what they use in movies. There's even a couple of cans hiding in the Harry Potter Tour in Leavesden. Don't know if it was around in 1979 but it's a staple of costume departments these days.

Mine was pre-weathered but I've topped it up using Dirty Down, and used it on other stuff. It's what they use in movies. There's even a couple of cans hiding in the Harry Potter Tour in Leavesden. Don't know if it was around in 1979 but it's a staple of costume departments these days.
How did you find it to use ? i contacted the company they were really knowledgeable regarding ESB flight suit and recommended the best colours to use

Really easy. Just spray on, go a bit crazy with the various colours here and there. I'd definitely prefer them to watered down acrylics and the like.

We have used these on our costumes in the past, I have just used it to weather our new Boba Fett costume. They are very good for making costumes look dusty and dirty. They come in a good range of colours and different sized cans. A 400ml can is just about enough to to a complete Boba Fett costume. I usually use Dark Brown, Nicotine Yellow and a hint of Soot Black. The soot black is a little bit blueish and goes on heavier, so be careful with it. These sprays are water soluble and therefore not always permanent, they may run in wet weather or wash out. They also smell quite strong so I would recommend only using outside with respirator mask. I have also tried the Dirty Down crayons, these are not as effective. Also depending on where you are they a flammable aerosol and therefore probably can not be shipped outside the UK. If you are in the UK they are worth purchasing.

We have used these on our costumes in the past, I have just used it to weather our new Boba Fett costume. They are very good for making costumes look dusty and dirty. They come in a good range of colours and different sized cans. A 400ml can is just about enough to to a complete Boba Fett costume. I usually use Dark Brown, Nicotine Yellow and a hint of Soot Black. The soot black is a little bit blueish and goes on heavier, so be careful with it. These sprays are water soluble and therefore not always permanent, they may run in wet weather or wash out. They also smell quite strong so I would recommend only using outside with respirator mask. I have also tried the Dirty Down crayons, these are not as effective. Also depending on where you are they a flammable aerosol and therefore probably can not be shipped outside the UK. If you are in the UK they are worth purchasing.
Thankyou for the advice and information

I also went with these colours, as recommended by Clothears, I ended up finding a local company that sells them, so works out perfectly.

I just did min last week.. I used an airbrush which I have 0 experience in.. What worked for me was keeping the flightsuit dry. Also for the paint, I poured paint thinner in a cup, then some paint, stirred them together, maybe a little bit of water, then poured it in the airbrush cup.. multiple coats/ colors.. black, charcoal, brown

Here's the first couple days of spraying.. if you look at the pouches.. you can barely see any there.. thats how it turned out when using a lot of water.. (I barely used any paint so thats partially why) the bottom is the second layer when wet.. Once it dries it fades a quite a bit..

1613512524726.jpeg

Here's when I started when dry and a brown coat

1613512886048.jpeg

Since then ive added another black layer.. but yea.. layers and dry flightsuit worked for me

I just did min last week.. I used an airbrush which I have 0 experience in.. What worked for me was keeping the flightsuit dry. Also for the paint, I poured paint thinner in a cup, then some paint, stirred them together, maybe a little bit of water, then poured it in the airbrush cup.. multiple coats/ colors.. black, charcoal, brown

Here's the first couple days of spraying.. if you look at the pouches.. you can barely see any there.. thats how it turned out when using a lot of water.. (I barely used any paint so thats partially why) the bottom is the second layer when wet.. Once it dries it fades a quite a bit..

View attachment 207543

View attachment 207544

Since then ive added another black layer.. but yea.. layers and dry flightsuit worked for me
That looks great

View attachment 207543

View attachment 207544

Good work Boba, great result for your first try. I think a air brush look, has some really nice results, definitely another option. I’m going try Dirty down, super excited to get the results I’m after with those ;).

Thankyou my paints arrive tomorrow will update with some pictures when I get started
Awesome man, let me know. Did you go for the colours above?. I’m also gonna use them on my boots, once I receive mine from RS. You can see in reference photos, there’s a hint of blue, from the original dyed colour of the shoes, then heavily weathered with black and browns.

Awesome man, let me know. Did you go for the colours above?. I’m also gonna use them on my boots, once I receive mine from RS. You can see in reference photos, there’s a hint of blue, from the original dyed colour of the shoes, then heavily weathered with black and browns.
When I spoke to Alan at dirty down he recommended blonde , mid brown ,black , and soot black so went with these I also have RS boots im going to add just a dusting of mid brown in areas on those

When I spoke to Alan at dirty down he recommended blonde , mid brown ,black , and soot black so went with these I also have RS boots im going to add just a dusting of mid brown in areas on those
Awesome man let me know how the boots go :). I have some aqua blue acrylic, so I’m gonna paint the blue, before I weather them with dirty down. Here’s what I mean, with the slight blue, on the original shoes.

26378C39-976A-49F2-A01C-4F8BC1FE99B3.jpeg

Great image sort of what you would expect the tops because of flight suit staying cleaner
Thanks, if you achieve this look, I would love to see your results. There’s definitely hints of “Black soot” & nicotine yellow”, on the boots, then nearing to the original blue, much alike the suit.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back