Update 08/03/16 Fettastic GMH ESB Helmet Paint-Up

I actually got it from a comic/ trade shop here in tx lucky find I paid 175$ for it he got it off eBay I asked him from who and he didn't remember...I've painted a few boba buckets and that's how I feel every one I do I get better at it I sold my old one that was pretty decent but ultimately I was not happy with it so now I'm starting over

Sent from my VS985 4G

Yeah I feel the same way. I can't wait to do a second lid! I'll probably end up trying to sell this one soon after I'm finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished the kill stripes.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Ah, gotcha. Then obviously it's a casting/recasting issue. I wouldn't sweat the ebay 1984 thing; you can't act on information you weren't aware of can you and $100 is pretty cheap so you still might be able to iron out that distortion with a bit of care and a heat gun. Worth a go. Have a bucket of cold water on standby. works a treat.

Intwenothor! Tonight I took a blow dryer to the inside of the helmet! When it was hot to touch on the outside, using a towel I could reshape the distortion! I had to hold it in place for a couple minutes to let it cool and form. Thanks for the tip! What do you think?

The first two are before I heated and treated.

image.jpg image.jpg

After heating and reshaping.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It certainly looks like an improvement and brave to happen after the paintup

Yeah I was a little hesitant. I was unsure how the paint would react so I made sure to go at the lowest setting. Once I figured out where the distortion was from the inside of the helmet I drew a small X so I knew where to aim and eventually push out. I isolated the heated area and tried forming it while it was wam on the inside but still cool on the outside of the lid. It wouldn't budge. It wasn't until the outside of the helmet is slightly hotter than warm to the touch before you can form it. It took me a few times making very small adjustments, letting cool and then looking at it from all angles. I couldn't see any changes to the paint after the first go so I kept working with it continually checking the color.

- - - Updated - - -

Do it before you start painting. It will make it a whole lot less stressful lol.

Just for fun I wanted to take some quick photos of the lid under lower lighting somewhat recreating the effect of the filmed helmet in certain scenes.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also, you may notice a crack on the back of the dome above the back panels :(
The helmet only fell a couple feet but somehow it left a decent size crack. Fortunately I have an FPH2 ESB that I'm working on as my main lid. This one will end up just being a display preice for my office...still it hurts.

Also, looking for a clear Perspex Block and an MQ-1 circuit board casting to finally finish this lid.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back