T's ESB Boba Fett Build

Darth V,
I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the zipties. It is a genius idea. I'll make those adjustments to the armor and vest and post when they are made. Thanks again for your great advise as usual.

-T

Deathproof, you are right, the scheme on ROTJ helmet is actually growing on me. But I'm committed to ESB, I just dyed the vest a light grey for it. Maybe down the line a ROTJ will be in the future, if I can get over that rainbow pack.

haha well im glad i could help you all out with that. I dont think its "correct" but it was the best thing i could come up with that wasnt obvious. Some folks sew them on, which may be what was done for the screen worm suits, im not sure, but i felt i wouldnt be able to do that well enough...hence the ziptie idea lol

Great build, just read it in one sitting and gonna have to use some of your techniques . I am also a visual guy so this helps.

Very nicely done! Are you going to scratch build
EE3 or buy a kit? I belibe you have the talent for hand making one! It would also benefit all of us as well

Slowly but surely, items are arriving to me. Woodman's synthetic wookie braids, girth belt and cape have arrived and here is a look at them:
braids.jpg

belt_1.jpg

cape2.jpg

cape1.jpg

The only modification I made was adding more weathering to the cape to make it look really battle worn. First, I actually washed it to get rid of the straight seam lines and hung dried it. Next, I used a very light mist of rattlecan dark grey primer and black on both sides of the cape. Lastly, I used an airbush to hit and detail the holes, edges and seams using a dark wash of black acrylic and windex.
cape3.jpg

cape4.jpg

The great thing about the cape is that my girlfriend told me if I did not tell her this was part of the Boba Fett build that she likely would of washed it because it was dirty or thrown it
out because it was so old. HA! She is building a TK and having a hard time wrapping her mind about buying something new and then destroying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So over the last few weeks I have made some progress on my build.
1st I picked up my vest from the tailor who made some alterations and shorten to length. I then dyed it a light grey and added some weathering.
vestgrey2.jpg

Today, I made good use of my day off from work to finish up the weathering on the armor. I added the missing grey to the right plate, more black weathering to the left plate and a combo of black and grey weathering to the ab plate.
ch2.jpg

Next I attached the braids to the sleeve using @darthvoorhess concept of using zip ties. I end up having to use wire used to hang frames since I had no small ties.
b1.jpg

I made real tiny cuts, just enough to get the wire through
b2.jpg

b4.jpg

b3.jpg

So here is my test run and "fitting" with a few things I have so far, kinda hard getting dressed alone, so I had to use half man:
boba1.jpg

boba2.jpg

boba3.jpg

boba4.jpg

Like alot of us, I picked up BigDane Jetpack harness from the Cargo Hold:
harnessbigd.jpg

It has been sitting around in a box, mainly because I have zero sewing skills and had no idea where to begin adding the strapping. But I want to seriously thank @The5thHorseman for his Harness Strapping post:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/hard-harness-strapping-boba-fett-esb-52297/

This post was really helpful in leading me in the right direction and getting started.
h4.jpg

h9.jpg

The difference is, I opted to use 1 inch tension lock triglides in order to have the ability to adjust the D-ring straps for the Jetpack attachment and I went with 2 Inch parachute clips for the shoulder straps
h8.jpg

Once I got everything lined up to where it liked the fit, I took it to my tailor to sew it up for me and it came out great and secure. Now, I just wait until my Jetpack gets completed.
h16.jpg

h11.jpg

h20.jpg

h10.jpg

Nice thread! I'm following this while I'm making new parts and fixes on an existing kit.

The harness is interesting... Does anyone have a link to how this whole thing works? I'm currently using the vest harness.

Hey man. I like the idea of the plastic buckles...but aren't they going to be a bit bulky? Especially the ones on your shoulders.

@DeathProof, I set up the buckles in positions so it would not interfere with armor or be noticeable under the vest. The buckles on the shoulders are relatively small and they actually sit just to the outside of the armor and lower on me than it does on the mannequin and not as high. I did not notice any issues when I put it on with the vest. In previous threads, I read that it was a pain getting the length right for the jet pack d-rings, so I figured why not use something adjustable to make it easier and when I get it right, I'll just cut off the excess nylon. MOW jet pack harness vest places his buckles in a similar area and it is also adjustable. The lower connecting 2 inch parachute clips, once tighten, sit along my sides below my armpit so no interference or discomfort there. I think the trick is getting everything lined up and tightened before finalizing your stitches/sewing of everything in place. This obviously is not movie accurate, but it is what I felt comfortable doing and seems to to work, plus no one sees it under the vest.

@bzb I think this thread will help you understand how the jetback harness works to secure the jetpack:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/harness-ammo-belt-question-52000/?highlight=buckle+strap

@DeathProof, I set up the buckles in positions so it would not interfere with armor or be noticeable under the vest. The buckles on the shoulders are relatively small and they actually sit just to the outside of the armor and lower on me than it does on the mannequin and not as high. I did not notice any issues when I put it on with the vest. In previous threads, I read that it was a pain getting the length right for the jet pack d-rings, so I figured why not use something adjustable to make it easier and when I get it right, I'll just cut off the excess nylon. MOW jet pack harness vest places his buckles in a similar area and it is also adjustable. The lower connecting 2 inch parachute clips, once tighten, sit along my sides below my armpit so no interference or discomfort there. I think the trick is getting everything lined up and tightened before finalizing your stitches/sewing of everything in place. This obviously is not movie accurate, but it is what I felt comfortable doing and seems to to work, plus no one sees it under the vest.

@bzb I think this thread will help you understand how the jetback harness works to secure the jetpack:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/harness-ammo-belt-question-52000/?highlight=buckle+strap

There is a serious flaw in the adjustment strategy you are thinking about with your current setup. It's far easier to have an adjustment in the strap area versus the front where you have it. To make any adjustments would require you to completely take off all armor/vest to get to your jet pack harness to make the adjustment.

20150802_184320.jpg

The straps should be adjusted via the metal clips shown in my picture. This would allow someone to easily adjust the jet pack straps to the proper length WHILE wearing everything to get optimal length. After the proper length is found you can easily adjust up the adjustable clips away from the armor opening to the armor backplate so any adjustments are invisible to users.

@crumdum serious flaw in my set up? It was actually your 501st submission photos which did not get approved because of issues you had that helped me out of ton with the feedback you received from other users. The feedback was really helpful in making modifications to my own build. So thank you

Having it hang to low with the exposed adjustment clips, like you did is something that I wanted to avoid:

crumdum.jpg

Yes, you are correct, I might have to take the armor off a few times before I get the length right. However once I do, I will just sew it down one more time to avoid unexpected length movement and I will not need someone to adjust it everytime. With your set up ,there is possibility of your adjustable clips showing, which I wanted to avoid. Your method is cutting it a bit to close of being exposed because of the length you picked. I also believe the longer straps of my set up going from front to back will help distribute the weight of the jetpack.

In this reference photos, no adjustable clips are showing, which is why I placed mine where they are:
crumdum3.jpg

I appreciate your "constructive" input, but here is the deal, whether you put the harness clips in the front or back, use velcro or magnets for your armor etc, the end game is the same just as long as your build is not a visual deviation from what it is suppose to look like.

@crumdum serious flaw in my set up? It was actually your 501st submission photos which did not get approved because of issues you had that helped me out of ton with the feedback you received from other users. The feedback was really helpful in making modifications to my own build. So thank you

Having it hang to low with the exposed adjustment clips, like you did is something that I wanted to avoid:

crumdum.jpg

Yes, you are correct, I might have to take the armor off a few times before I get the length right. However once I do, I will just sew it down one more time to avoid unexpected length movement and I will not need someone to adjust it everytime. With your set up ,there is possibility of your adjustable clips showing, which I wanted to avoid. Your method is cutting it a bit to close of being exposed because of the length you picked. I also believe the longer straps of my set up going from front to back will help distribute the weight of the jetpack.

In this reference photos, no adjustable clips are showing, which is why I placed mine where they are:
crumdum3.jpg

I appreciate your "constructive" input, but here is the deal, whether you put the harness clips in the front or back, use velcro or magnets for your armor etc, the end game is the same just as long as your build is not a visual deviation from what it is suppose to look like.

A couple of observations.

If the first photo you linked was my first attempt at wearing the jet pack. It was easy to fix. It was easy to adjust WHILE wearing my armor to make it both tighter and to hide the metal hooks you were talking about. Linked below is an updated image after I made the required corrections.

20150710_150756.jpg20150710_150802.jpg

Notice how much shorter my strap is and how no buckle is showing. Your setup is not impossible to make correct, it will just require a lot more work since you can't adjust the straps while wearing your armor.Now once your harness is primed and straps are set to the correct length there will be no issues for you.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back