The two knobs on the back of the helmet vent

stonerook

Active Hunter
Anyone know what they are? are they a "found" item, or does someone have some casted up?

I have something similar I whipped up, but they are a bit too large.

They look like the "knurled" screw covers on the old time computer cases to me...

Ripcode

Well-Known Hunter
stonerook said:
Anyone know what they are? are they a "found" item, or does someone have some casted up?

They look like the "knurled" screw covers on the old time computer cases to me...

I found something that looks close. I went to Lowes in the electrical section and bought some lamp sockets. The bakelite switches looked a lot like those parts in the helmet keyholes.

Evan4218 has my helmet and those parts. PM him and see if he'll post a pic of them in the keyholes on my helmet.

evan4218

Active Hunter
wirenuts1.jpg

Helmet 01.jpg

These are the what you are talking about. They are a special type of wire nut if I am not mistaken. Sadly the wire nuts at your local home depot are too large. (As were the ones that RIP sent me for his helmet) So I am casting some. ;) I will post when I have them done.

Ripcode

Well-Known Hunter
evan4218 said:
They are a special type of wire nut if I am not mistaken. Sadly the wire nuts at your local home depot are too large. (As were the ones that RIP sent me for his helmet) So I am casting some. ;) I will post when I have them done.

Wire nut? :confused Has that been confirmed?

You found something better than the parts I sent you? These I have to see! :D

never ending fett

Active Hunter
stonerook said:

I was thinking something along the same lines...the post like screw thing that you use to screw in a monitor cable or a scsi cable to the back of the computer.

so whatever they are are the glued onto the calculator circuit board?

stonerook

Active Hunter
Well, I went to Wally World and found light sockets that had the "bakelite" type switches on. (ripcode idea)

About $2.67 USD.

Snapped them off, put a little JB to make the dome top, (they had a flat top with a little concave surface) and tonight I will paint them up.

They have the same length and width from what I can see on the pics, and with the dome, they are pretty close to looking like the prop knobs.

I will be gluing mine straight to the circuit board with CA probably.

All in all, they look good enough for my purposes!

Thanks for the info guys!

I thought perhaps they were wire nuts, but most nuts are flaired at the bottom, these are not.... Plot thickens lol

(will post pics tonight)

Ripcode

Well-Known Hunter
stonerook said:
I will be gluing mine straight to the circuit board with CA probably.

How I had mine originally attached:

Drill a tiny hole into the part (The hole is the size of a paperclip). Drill that same size hole into the circuit board where the part is going.

Use CA to glue a length of paper clip into the part. Then glue the other end of the paper clip into the circuit board. This gave me a way to control how high the part sat off the circuit board and you could easily bend the part to get the correct looking angle.

However... since Evan4218 has a hold of my helmet... this method may change... :lol:

stonerook

Active Hunter
I failed to mention that,

I always pin anything like this with clipped off nails/paperclips and drill holes,

stuff is less prone to snap off like that.

Works really good on resin model kits of people, I've dropped them, and where I had it pinned, it survived.

However, unpinned items went spinning off into the carpet, never to be seen again....

stonerook

Active Hunter
Well, with the lead from Ripcode, I went to wally world and picked up two GE lamp sockets (52877) for $2.76 a piece.

I ripped them out of the assembly:

knob_0.jpg

I added a few drops of JB weld to fill in the top, after it cured, I sanded it to the shape I wanted.

Painted them up with red spray paint, then using dry brushing, put on the silver/chrome highlights.

I then cut them a little pass the ridges, and added "pins" to them.

Drilled two holes in the circuit board assembly, and used CA to hold them in place.

I made the holes angled to the prop angles - makes it easier to mount.

and this is what I came up with:

knob_1.jpg

knob_2.jpg

I think they came out pretty darn close to the real thing!

thanks for the help Ripcode - would of never thought to look at lamp assemblies for this.

:cheers

Ripcode

Well-Known Hunter
stonerook said:
thanks for the help Ripcode - would of never thought to look at lamp assemblies for this.

:cheers

Sweet! They look great! (y) I knew they would! (y)

Evan4218 isn't using the ones I sent him... I gotta see what he is cooking up! :confused (And he's making me wait until Sunday! :cry )