General The TDH Boba boot problem

HansVader

Jr Hunter
I have a pair of the pre pro white MOW boots and was planning on using activated dye on them and was curious if this has been attempted before. I Figured the dye would not crack and make a permanent bond to the material ,then weather over the dye. If you use good dye Jacquard dye it stays great and barley fades (did tie dyes for years) I figured the black would take a couple times to get it good and dark and because the piping seems like it is vinyl I was going to sharpie it and then paint over it.
 

Fett 4 Real

Sr Hunter
Community Staff
I have a pair of the pre pro white MOW boots and was planning on using activated dye on them and was curious if this has been attempted before. I Figured the dye would not crack and make a permanent bond to the material ,then weather over the dye. If you use good dye Jacquard dye it stays great and barley fades (did tie dyes for years) I figured the black would take a couple times to get it good and dark and because the piping seems like it is vinyl I was going to sharpie it and then paint over it.
acrylic paint will absorb into the fabric.... you have to thin it a bit but your not using paint you use on the walls in your house....
 

HansVader

Jr Hunter
well I know I would not be using house paint :) I was just seeing if anyone had used dye on the white boots before. The fab ric looks like it would dye super easy and then no matter how much wear it would never crack or flake. Just a thought. Ill post them as I do it .
 

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
i always used thinned out craft acrylics. Never cracked. Acrylic is naturally flexible. With it thinned it makes it even more flexible. Only if you put it on super thick would it crack, and there is NO reason to do that! :D

I am curious to see how the dye comes out though. Ive thought about dye, but the acrylic always worked excellent so i figured if its not broke dont fix it! lol
 

robotzo

Jr Hunter
I used to be a sneaker customizer and in that field, everybody used Angelus paints. Its a brand of paints that are specifically made for painting shoes. Now the paint is designed to bond to leather and for use on primarily leather shoes, but mediums can be added so that it works for canvas and suede materials. When properly mixed and cured, its supposed to be pretty nice.
 

Fett 4 Real

Sr Hunter
Community Staff
I used to be a sneaker customizer and in that field, everybody used Angelus paints. Its a brand of paints that are specifically made for painting shoes. Now the paint is designed to bond to leather and for use on primarily leather shoes, but mediums can be added so that it works for canvas and suede materials. When properly mixed and cured, its supposed to be pretty nice.
its way more expensive then acrylic paint you can buy for $1 at walmart though....theres no reason to get special leather paints.... no reason to try and dye them.
 

SPY007

Active Hunter
ShortFuse. I did a post on the build, but it looks like it's gone. I angled the toes w/ craft foam. Made the boots taller w/ scrap leather. I then cut and glued two pieces of canvas to each boot. I folded the dark middle strip and hemmed black piping to it, then glued it over the front edges of the two strips. I then folded and sewed piping to the front side pieces and glued those on. Then I glued on the section that covers the heel and back. I found wide elastic on ebay, glue tacked it in and had a shoe repair place sew it in. They also added the rear straps. White vinyl glued around the sides of the soles. Used a lot of contact cement. did the toe spikes on lathe. I don't have any more build photos.
 
Last edited:

ShortFuse

Hunter
ShortFuse. I did a post on the build, but it looks like it's gone. I angled the toes w/ craft foam. Made the boots taller w/ scrap leather. I then cut and glued two pieces of canvas to each boot. I folded and hemmed black piping the dark middle strip, then glued it over the front edges of the two strips. I then folded sewed piping to the front side pieces and glues those on. Then I glued on the section that covers the heel and back. I found wide elastic on ebay, glue tacked it in and hade a shoe repair place sew it in. They also added the rear straps. White vinyl glued around the sides of the soles. Used a lot of contact cement. did the toe spikes on lathe. I don't have any more build photos.
Well, you did an awesome job on them. I scratch built a pair as well but wasn’t able to pull off the squared off toe. Here is a pic prior to weathering.
EF585872-C8D1-4ABF-B6B6-185E7B9F1BED.jpeg
 
Top