Stencil/Template Help

Neo Fett

Active Hunter
I'm trying to use Rafal Fett's templates to paint my ROTJ helmet. I've run into a few issues though. I was hoping someone could give me some tips.

What is the best way to align the several paint layers on the dome? Getting all of the templates to match up perfectly is proving to be difficult.

What's the best way to get tiny details with the masking fluid? I'm using a tiny paint brush but it still likes to make smooth and blotchy spots.

Lastly, what's the best way to remove masking fluid? I've been picking at it but I find myself missing a lot of it.

As far as applications I have used tooth picks and super small brushes to apply the masking.

When I did the dome I painted and then removed the masking so that I could better align the next layer. You can literally do one damage location at a time if you are having trouble lining them up. It might take some time but it will allow you maximum amount of flexibility when you are applying the stencil.

As far as applications I have used tooth picks and super small brushes to apply the masking.

When I did the dome I painted and then removed the masking so that I could better align the next layer. You can literally do one damage location at a time if you are having trouble lining them up. It might take some time but it will allow you maximum amount of flexibility when you are applying the stencil.

Never thought of using toothpicks; thanks!

I bought a set of small metal tools at Michael's, they're for some sort of art thing but they work perfectly for applying masking.

I used an old clayworking silicone brush to remove my masking, really grips the latex well and is soft enough to not hurt the paint. Pencil eraser might work well too. Apply the silicone pretty thick and it'll be easier to remove, it's those really light-coats that get encased by paint that are the really hard ones to remove.

I used an old clayworking silicone brush to remove my masking, really grips the latex well and is soft enough to not hurt the paint. Pencil eraser might work well too. Apply the silicone pretty thick and it'll be easier to remove, it's those really light-coats that get encased by paint that are the really hard ones to remove.
Oh my goodness I've been removing all of the masking from my helmet this week, I didn't go back and remask so it's all the built up layers of paint over top of it. The areas where I laid it on thick come off like a dream, even down to the silver. But the places I kept it light, especially right along the edges where the back panels meet the ears, so hard to get it all up.

When in doubt, apply thick! I've been using an exacto knife to remove it all. Works nice also to slice away the paint that doesn't chip off well after pulling the masking up.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back