Slave1 Fett gloves vs. Katarra Fett gloves *REVIEW*

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
M

Migrate from As You Wish

Originally posted by Hammerhead:

NOTE: This information was originally posted by mcabrera1275 on the ASAP board, under the Other Costumes forum. A link to the original thread is found here. This information has been copied here by Hammerhead, with the permission of the original poster.

OK, so here it is. A lot of people have requested for me to compare the Bounty Hunter gloves of two respected costume makers in the prop community. Finding quality Bounty Hunter gloves are hard to come by. Since I am constructing the ROTJ version of Fett, I went with this particular glove-style, and not the brown/patched pre-production scheme. I purchased gloves from Katarra and Slave1. You decide which one suits your Fett costume requirements.

The first noticeable difference between the two gloves is that Katarra's gloves are more tight fitting and have a thinner, more leaner look to them. Slave1's gloves have a more puffier look and exhibit a more padded feel. The two gloves attach with velcro at the ends to grip the wrist.

I liked the way Slave1's gloves were more puffy. It looked identical to the Star Wars Visual Dictionary's Fett pictoral, especially while holding my EE-3 Blaster Rifle. The Katarra gloves still looked good, but I noticed that they were tight and made my fingers look really skinny.

The overall glove material used in Katarra's glove was more thicker and seemed more durable. And the wrist cuffing was made of a thicker mesh material than Slave1's glove. I wish my Slave1 glove would've been made of a thicker material because it does seem a bit thin, especially for a padded-thicker looking glove. However, one thing I disliked about my Katarra glove was that the sewing of the fingers was a bit off where the finger pads were placed, resulting in a slightly crooked finger pad that I would have to adjust and straighten out. The finger/thumb pads on Slave1's glove were sewed with precision and were flawless.

In regard to the full view, again you will notice a more fuller look to Slave1's glove vs. Katarra's glove. You can visually see the stitchings on the Slave1 glove more distinctively. Another variation between the two gloves is color. For those that want a darker shade of grey, the Katarra glove has a dark glove scheme to it. The Slave1 glove was a very very light shade of grey. In terms of delivery rate, both dealers were friendly and cordial. I got the orders in within the time frame promised. (4 weeks from Katarra, and 7 weeks from Slave1.) Both responded well with emails. Both shipped the items via US Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. And Jon from Katarra Kreations even called me to make sure my order was received. I hope this review helps out others who still want to order gloves from either of these great costume dealers.

::Edit:: dead picture links removed

Originally posted by michael max111:

I have to say you left out 1 important thing. The white tops to the Slave 1 gloves are 2 different sizes like the movie unlike the other gloves. It may seem trivial but detail counts here and the Slave 1 gloves are correct.

Mike

Originally posted by Hammerhead:

You mean that mcabrera1275 left out one important thing, right? ;)

Actually, that's a very good point, Mike--thanks for bringing it up.

<CENTER><TABLE CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 COLS=3 WIDTH="100" ><TR><TD ALIGN=CENTER ROWSPAN="2">
jw_yoda_anim.gif
</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER>
slackersatworkbanner.gif
</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER ROWSPAN="2"></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN=CENTER>
howtobanner.gif
</TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER><CENTER> <FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE =-1><FONT COLOR="red">GOD</FONT><FONT COLOR="white"> BLESS</FONT><FONT COLOR="blue"> AMERICA</FONT></FONT></CENTER>

<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE = -2 COLOR="red">"God have mercy on you. We won't."--Senator John McCain
"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine..."--Obi-Wan Kenobi
</FONT>​
</P>

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Jaster:

Slave1's glove looks great, i need to get a pair sometime in the recent future, when is he doing another run of them??

Originally posted by mcabrera1275:

Thanks Hammerhead for reposting my review on this board. =)

Yes, I forgot to mention in my review that the white patches on the Slave1 gloves are accurately represented because they are different in size. The white patch on the top of the right glove is much longer than the one on the top of the left glove. The Katarra gloves have the same size white patch on both gloves. Slave1 went the extra yard to put in accurate detail such as this on his glove.

As for another run for Slave1's gloves, I will probably be for a while. I know I had to wait a long while until he re-offered his last run. But it was well worth the wait!!

ezbanner8j.jpg

Originally posted by Lord of all that is Fett:

I just got my Slave1 gloves today. And am really happy with them. Accuracy wise all you need to do is scroll up at the "Soft Parts" heading and compare color/texture to the pic adjacent to the header on this page. Now to do a little weathering and they will be set. The two different size back of palm panels is a nice touch, and the real ones have this detail. "I am not a paid endorser" -Mark

~He's worth a lot to me.~
[/center]

Originally posted by SonOfAFett:

I have also had both of their gloves. Katarra's were too dark, incorrect backing on the left hand, no padding on the white parts, and too tight. They are made of a stretchy nylon fabric that fits like a surgical glove. I could literally feel my pulse throbbing through my fingers. I quickly sold them for a $15.00 loss.

Slave 1, on the other hand (no pun intended), are the correct color (plus he tells you how to lighten them even more, if you desire), correct backing (the white panels), padded panels, and, most importantly, comfortable! His gloves are hand stitched (Kat's are machine sewn). He periodically sells them on eBay, but I haven't seen any in awhile. Buy them if you can find them.

As far as the pre-production gloves go (you know, the brown leather, action figure ones), they are not in any film. If you have the red/yellow gauntlet combo, then that's the way to go. Otherwise, don't bother.

Can anyone tell me or post a link to Katarra Kreations? I tried to go to the website, and it's not working. Please, someone tell me if they went out of business or something, or just the system is crazy.

Do anyone knows if Slave1 Fett sells his gloves direct or just thru Ebay? I'm not planning to pay over $100 for just a pair of gloves! Besides, I'm going to invest in MC's boots and that's good enough for me. Please let me know.

::Edit:: name changed to initials

I believe that S1 will usually sell a pair of gloves for something like $99 or the end price of his last auction, whichever is higher? something like that.

Phil

I had said I will sell them for the Buy it Now price of $99 plus shipping or the price of the last auction, whichever is higher. But I've made it simpler by just saying you can get them for the Buy it Now price (which I've to $95).

I try to encourage people to just bid and see because they CAN be won for much cheaper. Besides, everyone should pretty much have Fett gloves that need them now so I should think the average ending price should start to go down.

Here are a few Fett items, including gloves and gauntlets, that I have up for grabs right now:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=slave1%40ee.net&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Keep in mind, if you want your order made with a specific fabric, you need will need to supply the fabric you want used.

Slave1 wrote:

I had said I will sell them for the Buy it Now price of $99 plus shipping or the price of the last auction, whichever is higher. But I've made it simpler by just saying you can get them for the Buy it Now price (which I've to $95).

I try to encourage people to just bid and see because they CAN be won for much cheaper. Besides, everyone should pretty much have Fett gloves that need them now so I should think the average ending price should start to go down.

Here are a few Fett items, including gloves and gauntlets, that I have up for grabs right now:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=slave1%40ee.net&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Thanks for the gauntlets. I won them from ebay last week (aprox.) All I have to do is to wait for them. They look great by the way.

I have Slave1's gloves and gauntlets. Those are the same in the pics. I can't believe the quality of the gloves!!! They are so comfortable, and cool (besides of accurate-looking). they could fit almost any size of hand. I think that they feel almost like Jersey gloves or parade gloves, with hand-stitched, padded white details on fingers and back of the hand. All I could say is that he took care of me from the elbows down (literally!) :lol: Great prop and I'm so happy with his stuff. :)

Hey, thanks for posting and glad you like the parts!

I just got the new material in, so maybe I can actually get a pair made for myself finally :)

I DO use parade style gloves for the base by the way, just as they did with the originals. Occassionally I get requests for info on the base glove, so I'll try to answer here. There really are no secrets about them. For anyone wanting to make your own pair, get yourself a pair of military dress gloves or parade style gloves and have at it.

Just in case to clarify something...these are 100% original pieces of art. I never intended to say they were this or that, just how they feel and look. They are so good and cool to the hand that you could even be able to look for change in your pockets or something else and feel it. Unlike the cold-weather, work, welding, or even some gardening gloves. THIS IS A RECOMMENDED ITEM FOR ANY BOBA FETT FAN (if you could afford it), ESB or ROTJ, mostly ESB for the color.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back