Shapeways 3D printed dental expansion devices

01Hawk

Active Hunter
When I ordered my Supertrooper side trim piece for the Uzi from Shapeways, I didn't realize there were varying levels of print qualities available - I thought the options were just for colors /texture. Since the Glenross dental expansion device comes in conversation and WTB posts a lot I figured I would buy some and see how they looked. I got one from CBS Props ( Toolguy301) and another from RafalFett. It isn't meant to be an apples to apples comparison since each are of a different print quality . CBS is on the left and RafalFett on the right. Both look great. The CBS is " Frosted Ultra Detail" and the RafalFett one is " Frosted Extreme Detail".
8A7C9446-DAF8-4F46-8A55-35DB0C8C64F6.jpg

Those expansion screws looks great! Thanks for posting! It is a big difference between the white strong and flexible and the frosted ones.

I was really surprised at how much detail they have. Really nice pieces - I may order some more stuff just to see how they come. My initial goal was to use all real pieces on my suit. But I would hate to have any of them fall off etc. So I am trying a few 3D prints and just made my first silicone mold ( of a Vektor CP1 pistol) to learn how to cast all the real parts I buy as well as the Supertrooper specific parts I will need to make.

Those look really good. I have been impressed with the quality of the frosted prints. The only thing that you need to be wary of is prepping for paint. These are printed with wax so need to make sure the was is cleaned off well. Recommend scrubbing with a brush in warm dish water & do this a couple of times & rinse well.

Here is a picture of a couple of dental expanders that are used on the Vader reveal helmet. There are a couple of sizes. I modeled mine from the larger size which could be why there are some size differences. This is a great comparison to say the least.

DSCF2370-1.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back