Rub-N-Buff

well hey, if you can't find any rub n buff, you can just do 1 very simple thing....just wrap your helmet in tin foil. :) LOL.... ;-)
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok

after spending a whole day (yeh I took the day off work to find this stuff) looking up and down the entire united kingdom I am admitting defeat, No one stocks rubb n buff or any similar product so Im asking nay begging to see if someone would be kind enough to sell me some, if you can get hold of it I can pay you through paypal and cover all shipping costs aswell, by the way mirax, your helmet is one of the ones that inspired me to carry on my quest, I just think it makes the bucket so much more 'real' looking. So can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Left side is before RNB, Right side is after 1 coat.
DCP_1211.jpg
DCP_1212.jpg

Really can see much difference in the photo

I learned something about RNB the hard way. I used Rustolium Metallic Silver on my gauntlets, which is a great color. Very shiney. I then tried to RNB the gauntlet and it dulled the color to a grey color and it did not want to shine up. It just made a big smugged mess.I got frustrated with it and took some paint thinner to the gauntlet to try to remove it. I then tried to re-paint it and I apparently did not get all the RNB off and the paint ran and would not dry properly. It kept rubbing off. Every time I touched them it left finger prints in the paint. I have had to sand them down to the styrene base twice now and start over to finally get the paint to stick. So don't ever try to paint over RNB unless your 100% sure you got it all off.

Don't rub n buff over silver spray paint as the silver paint usually leaves a not so smooth surface. If you prime and sand it baby smooth and then use rub n buff it works a lot better. The smoother the surface, the better results you'll get with rub n buff.

For the record,

I tested out rub and buff, and my verdic is IT IS HORRIBLE. I used crome paint on my armor and jet pack and I have the most beautiful , reflective coat on my armor. The rub an buff just smeared. Go with paint.

And yes, I will have pictures up soon.

More power to you if that's what works. Personally though I have yet to see a purely silver paint job that even competes with rub n buff when done correctly.

I agree FoxBatKllr.

I tested four different metallic silver or aluminum paints next to Rub n' Buff on primed Sintra. Only one of the paints came close, but Rub n' Buff had the most realistic metallic shine hands down.

I'm a believer in Rub n' Buff now, but there's still a drawback that bugs me. Since it's a wax, it's very susceptible to marks. For example, if you bump into something or accidentally drag your fingernail across it, it leaves a line that needs to be buffed out. Sealing it with clearcoat will solve that problem, but then you lose the best advantage of Rub n' Buff... its amazing shine and finish! :facepalm

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back