ROTJ Undersuit

I think you are going about this all wrong. I am a proud member and squad leader in the 501st and long time member here, so I guess I am taking the 501st bashing a little personal. With that said the 501st doesn't have everything perfect nor does it claim to. You just have to know how to get approved. Just take some new pics in different lighting conditions or use photoshop to change the color enough to get approved and troop with what you have. I don't care one flip about the advanced approval levels or whatever they want to call them and a lot of the Jango pics in the crl are of my gear. I think you will get approved if you will do what I suggested.

What's funny is for my rotj fett I was told the cheeks should be black and had to disprove them...so really you just need to prove yourself right...now you really need to figure out what YOU like for the suit. The suit on the skiff may have been blue for the hero suit and Grey for the stunts...and Grey for the palace scenes and special edition was for sure less blue.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I think we're getting a little off target here.

This thread was about getting a general consensus as to what is recognised as the correct colour of undersuit.

We may have digressed to what we believe are further inaccuracies to the 501st CRL but I certainly do not want to bash them. Just learn and talk from people who I believe to be the premiere Boba Fett community.

Additionally the thread may have been borne from the fact that the suit failed clearance but it has not been about getting my suit through (as I pointed out to the guys on the BHG) so I can personally live the dream. This is about getting things right.

Just to answer you remarks however, I will not change how my suit looks just to get through approval - I find that approach a bit underhanded. I feel the best way forward is that of honesty as transparency is the only way forward.

I will change my suit however is my peers on such forums as this feel it is incorrect. So far that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think that the bottom line for screen accuracy is too difficult to prove. Not to digress on approvals, but F4R probably hit the nail on the head. Stunt vs Hero suit was probably a big contributor to why there is not a clear winner in the blue vs grey. In your first pic it looks like an ESB suit to me, but so hard to tell in just a photo....the skiff scene though, is rather close to that. I'd just enjoy it as is and after it's washed x amount of times it's going to lighten up anyway ....

Its hard to say with the **** lighting in the indoor scenes...and I really dont see your suit being BLUE at all...way more grey then blue. I kinda see that the lighting in your shoot is really bright making everything brighter then it probably is based on the other pics of just the suit....maybe with some photoshop love you can fix that like stated above...only thing that just REALLY stands out to me is the visor...its a bit narrow. Not sure if thats something you would tackle or not but its even more narrow and almost looks like the MR pinch. If it were me as the approval authority Id as you fix that and that only...thats all I really see "wrong"

Sorry I wasn't trying to derail nor am I saying to be underhanded. I fully believe honesty is the only thing a person has at the end of the day. What I am saying is that your suit may just look too blue in one pic. Look at that pic of Fett from ROTJ you posted. The smoke looks very blue to me. That may be just how they filmed that scene. All I am saying is you could probably use photoshop to compensate for the lighting. Your second pics of just the flightsuit look much more gray than the first full costume pic. I think it would pass with that kind of lighting.

Hey no big deal honestly - I just didn't want to be labelled as starting a 501st bashing thread.

I've had these conversations with our GML & he told me he's aware & read the threads with different lighting etc. but still won't admit it.

I've asked him to send me the required shading in order to avoid all ambiguity - I can take it from there.

I think you are going about this all wrong. I am a proud member and squad leader in the 501st and long time member here, so I guess I am taking the 501st bashing a little personal. With that said the 501st doesn't have everything perfect nor does it claim to.

Since his admission is being held up by the 501st due to the color of his flight suit, I'd say that exactly what it's claiming.

You just have to know how to get approved. Just take some new pics in different lighting conditions or use photoshop to change the color enough to get approved and troop with what you have. I don't care one flip about the advanced approval levels or whatever they want to call them and a lot of the Jango pics in the crl are of my gear. I think you will get approved if you will do what I suggested.

It's really not good that a squad leader would recommend this, as it's dishonest. Different lighting conditions? Of course, that's fine. Photoshop? No way.

I'm not really bashing the 501st, although I'm sure it sounds like I am. It's just a shame that Grantd1 has such a great-looking suit and he's running into a roadblock over something that is impossible to correctly match (the color of the flightsuit), especially since it's not as if his suit is orange or pink or something.

I think we're getting a little off target here.

This thread was about getting a general consensus as to what is recognised as the correct colour of undersuit.

We may have digressed to what we believe are further inaccuracies to the 501st CRL but I certainly do not want to bash them. Just learn and talk from people who I believe to be the premiere Boba Fett community.

The short answer is: who knows? As long as you're in the ballpark, it's really a ridiculous thing to hold someone's membership up over.

RotJ: Grayish
ESB: Bluish

Whatever Rubio95. If you would read instead of post pics of you flipping people off you might see that I said he could adjust for the light conditions with photoshop since obviously it was having a big impact on the color.

Relax guys - no dust-up here lol!

Brian was just a brother trying to get me trooping via the line of least resistance.

All good.

rubio95 said:
The mere fact that they don't have a fully-updated RotJ Fett page says a lot (no gauntlets? Seriously? No hip pouches? With completed Snowtrooper and Biker Scout CRLs?). We know far more than they do, and we have for many years. It's not because we hide or hoard information. It's all right here in these pages.

Wow... Is that what it says about me? That's funny... Since I'm an admin here and have been almost since the beginning of TDH AND I'm the Detachment Leader for the Bounty Hunters Guild in charge of desperately trying to complete these CRLs (which includes gathering hi-quality photos of the best costume parts from EVERY required piece from EVERY Bounty Hunter costume accepted for 501st membership that seems like a pretty unfair statement on your part. I have literally nothing to do with completing the CRLs for "Snow Troopers" and "Biker Scouts". Those are handled by their respective detachments. Since you know... the Biker Scout Detachment deals with what? Biker Scouts and what else? Umm... Biker Scouts? I think their task is far less daunting (no offense to the Biker Scout Detachment). I on the other hand have a hand in trying to write, collect photos, edit photos and build the HTML pages for a list of bounty hunters that include characters from all six movies, the comic books and the Clone Wars cartoon series. Maybe it just says that I haven't been given good enough photos for, or haven't taken photos of or haven't edited said photos yet in my spare time between my full time job, duties as a husband, father, Detachment Leader to sit down and complete that part yet.

Before jumping to conclusions and insulting people you think can't see what you're saying perhaps you should stop and think.

As for the REAL discussion in this thread, I spoke at great length with Art about the color and I have taken the stance that editing the CRL to read "gray with a blueish hue" was acceptable for higher level approval and was a good compromise between those who insisted on gray and those that insisted on blue. Its still an ongoing discussion as the CRL is a living document. It can be edited and changed as we see fit. Since Grant's GML is still taking issue with his suit I'm hoping that he and I can discuss it a bit more and get things settled. Hopefully we can get this resolved sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Is that what it says about me? That's funny... Since I'm an admin here and have been almost since the beginning of TDH AND I'm the Detachment Leader for the Bounty Hunters Guild in charge of desperately trying to complete these CRLs (which includes gathering hi-quality photos of the best costume parts from EVERY required piece from EVERY Bounty Hunter costume accepted for 501st membership that seems like a pretty unfair statement on your part. I have literally nothing to do with completing the CRLs for "Snow Troopers" and "Biker Scouts". Those are handled by their respective detachments. Since you know... the Biker Scout Detachment deals with what? Biker Scouts and what else? Umm... Biker Scouts? I think their task is far less daunting (no offense to the Biker Scout Detachment). I on the other hand have a hand in trying to write, collect photos, edit photos and build the HTML pages for a list of bounty hunters that include characters from all six movies, the comic books and the Clone Wars cartoon series. Maybe it just says that I haven't been given good enough photos for, or haven't taken photos of or haven't edited said photos yet in my spare time between my full time job, duties as a husband, father, Detachment Leader to sit down and complete that part yet.

Before jumping to conclusions and insulting people you think can't see what you're saying perhaps you should stop and think.

As for the REAL discussion in this thread, I spoke at great length with Art about the color and I have taken the stance that editing the CRL to read "gray with a blueish hue" was acceptable for higher level approval and was a good compromise between those who insisted on gray and those that insisted on blue. Its still an ongoing discussion as the CRL is a living document. It can be edited and changed as we see fit. Since Grant's GML is still taking issue with his suit I'm hoping that he and I can discuss it a bit more and get things settled. Hopefully we can get this resolved sooner rather than later.

Sorry, I thought we were done with this and were just focusing on Grant's suit.

No problems here. Good luck with all of your responsibilities.

Thanks for your contributions to TDH. They're much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was knocked back (a number will be familiar do the CRL's the 501st use to base their clearance upon) for a few reasons I can understand but one was for the undersuit being too blue.

I personally thinks it's bob on & maybe too grey if anything - but that's clutching at straws.

You really nailed it in your opening statement. This is nothing more than grasping at straws. I don't presume to know what motivation is behind this decision but I have to assume it is either someone who wants to appear more knowledgeable than they are, has an issue with Clothears, or has an issue with you personally. Regardless, it is beyond a ridiculous nitpick and completely unnecessary considering the general level of accuracy that is accepted in the 501st. I will be the first to admit, thanks to TDHers like webchief, the 501st has been upping its game and steadily increasing in accuracy, but in order to facilitate a community of costumers, the acceptable level of accuracy within the 501st still falls far lower than hyper-analyzing something of this nature and only serves to create an exclusionary atmosphere in a club that claims to be all about inclusion and brotherhood. What a shame.

All the suits started as blue - grey and faded at unknown rates and times to the colors we see in exhibits.
While the Clothears suit might be a tad more blue then it should be for the 36 year old exhibit suits, it is technically correct. Certainly within acceptable margins for the 501st.
Methinks this is another example of the new CRL failing to be fair or correct.

Keegan really says all that needs to be said in the post above. We know the suits started not just blue but VERY blue. We know that many suits were used and through use and poor storage, few look, today, the way they looked at the time and almost none look the way they originally did when created. Is the Clothears RotJ undersuit a little too blue? Yeah, I think we can all say that it is. It is so blue that this should keep you out of the 501st? Not in a million years. This is simple pettiness on the part of whomever is judging your costume and I would challenge them to put any of their costumes up to that same level of scrutiny. I guarantee we could easily fail them for larger issues than this.

It will be no surprise to Bob, whom I have the upmost respect for, considering the work he has done on the CRLs for Fett, that I disagree with the 501st's use of "grey" as the entry color for the RotJ suit. We all know that the suits started blue (you can still see it in the seams and under the arms), so at best, the suits were a blue-grey or grey blue or bluish grey at the time of filming... however you want to say it. If you are talking about the suits, at the time of filming (not as we see them today), there is definitely some level of blue in them and I think it is a disservice to members like you (Grantd1) for the blue color to be skipped in the CRL, especially if it is giving the person judging your costume leverage to make his outrageous assessment. Again, what a shame that a costume of your caliber is being rejected when there are still so many trashy and poor quality costumes that are proudly 501st approved. One, again, has to question the motivation for this decision as it is not good for your garrison and it is not good for the Legion as a whole.... so whose purpose is it serving?

Thanks for chiming in, Art. Hopefully I get the opportunity to discuss the suit with Grant's GML and we can get to the bottom of this.

Awesome reply - thanks Art.

One final thing though as a footnote to this discussion that I'd like to touch on is this barrier between TDH & 501st.

Within ANY group of people there are a-holes!

THE 501st can be a pain & THE 501st can be elitist, pompous & get it wrong.......however THE 501st are massive!!! With such a massive membership the law of averages deems that there will be a greater number of a-holes than a smaller group. Bear in mind that this number of a-holes will be vastly outnumbered by the good folk who are out there striving to do best by this hobby. Webchief is testament to this.

Just something to bear in mind when mud is slung intentionally or otherwise.

Finally - my GML contacted me last night to tell me he'd asked to meet up with Clothears to discuss the colour at a troop in the near future (this was confirmed by Clothears when I nipped round there last night to drop the suit off for the odd tweak).

It's progress Jim, but not as we know it!!! Is a Trekkie reference blasphemy here lol!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back