ROTJ Jetpack Greeblie Discussion

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello My Fellow Fetts,
I looked around and wanted to get thoughts on the ROTJ Greeblies I know many of these Greeblies are not even seen when the Jetpack is worn. But there is one piece that I've seen quite a bit of difference on and am looking to hear from the forum on thoughts. I'll be putting these greeblies on a Boba Maker ROTJ Jetpack that is on order and should be in my possession within a couple months. (Ordered Mid-January 2021)
JP Greeblie Selection.jpg

I'm still keen on getting a set of Machine Craft Replica's Disc Thrusters, but as it turns out he is not taking on any new orders at the moment. :(
Which is fine, cause those pieces can defintely be added later! (y)

The piece I wanted to discuss is this one...
Middle JP Greeblie.jpg

I've seen the Media Section on TDH and saw this photo as a reference picture....
Boba-Fett-Return-of-the-Jedi-Jetpack-04.jpg

While it is hard to make out how many connector pins is on this one I landed on a 4 pin black connector. I have seen other ROTJ JP's done by some of the more reputable users on this forum and theirs appear to be more silver in color and range from 4 to 5 pins. Is it just my eyes on this reference pic? Cause it totally looks black to me. I'm just looking to get the most accurate piece. Again, I know.....it's silly cause these pieces are not even seen when you wear the JP.
:lol:

Thanks,
-Iron

I know this is not helpful as I am relatively new to all of this, but would you mine giving a quick rundown of what each found part is actually called.
And if I am correct in assuming, according to references, that middle plug is where one of the l shaped mic cables from Boba's og gauntlets plug into.
You might be able to find a pic of those cannon itt cords that should shed light on how many pins it should have. I know at least one or two of those plugs went to the jetpack( not sure if it was actually a practical effects thing or just cosmetic), but the number of pins on the male end should shed light on how many pins would probably be on the receptacle( female end) in the jetpack.

Hi Ord Mantell
...And Happy Friday! Thank you for those reference pics! Now that I see the pic brightened up a bit, I also concur that this piece is silver and not black. There goes another couple bucks down the drain on my Black XLR Connector......**Sigh**. I guess I shoulda asked here first before buying.....oh well!
:oops:

So, the ITT Cannon 5-31 eh?
ITT Cannon XLR-5-31.jpg

I hunt around for the best deal on this piece. The above was a screen shot from the PEI-Genesis site, they have it listed for $14.46, which isn't that bad, BUT the cheapest S&H option is $21.15 ($35.61 Total). A wee-bit pricey, but considering what I spent on the Kendrion Coupling from Bürklin......
?hash=1e101748d8cdb69dd8780bff8b29a229.jpg

....which commanded a $70+ pricetag, maybe it's not that bad. I'm still gonna look around though.
;)

The three things that I see that make this XLR connector stick out to me are these three things (outlined in RED), when compared to Ord's pic.....
1) Rectangle that shows the model number of "XLR 31".
2) Metal/Silver Half Moon shape at the top of the connector.
3) Rectangle Below that shows the "Cannon".
ITT Cannon XLR 5-31 Three Things.jpg

I've now seen many XLR connectors out there that are missing a few of these things. Another thing I also noticed is that the "Push" tab sits pretty high on Ord's pic too as opposed to my pic. In addition, the lower rectangle where in my pic it shows "ITT Cannon", in Ord's pic you can see that it seems to NOT have "ITT", but JUST "Cannon". I wonder if ITT and Cannon were once two seperate companies and then merged? Meaning, that it was probably just "Cannon" when the jetpack was created in 1981-1983.
:unsure:

As I type this reply, I did a bit of searching and found (via eBay) what appeared to be THAT vintage part!
Ebay Item.jpg

I have since ordered this one! But you can see that it shows only "Cannon" and the "Push" tab also sits high on this one. I also see that half moon metal shape too. Besides getting into Doc Browns DeLorian Time Machine and going back in time to get the actual part, I think this is the closest that one can get. Oh and by the way, at the time of this wrting, this eBay seller only has ONE LEFT, in case anyone here is also interested. The eBay seller charged me $21.73 (Which included S&H) - which is $13.88 cheaper than the one from PEI-Genesis.
(y):cool:

Thanks for the clarification Ord! I hope this also helps out other ROTJ Fett's out there!

Cheers,
-Iron

Attachments

• Kendrion Coupling.jpg
    Kendrion Coupling.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Well done. Yes the differences you pointed out are largely due to the time of manufacture and the country of manufacture. According to what I figured out, these parts were made in the UK, the US and Japan concurrently. You did the best thing, find a vintage one off ebay. I also recommend this part for an ESB build.

Awsome info! It seems that Kuhnke/ Bucklin parts were used extensively for the fittings as the flamer for the PP2 has a few parts on the tail that have been matched to that company as well. Great info and thank you!

I know this is not helpful as I am relatively new to all of this, but would you mine giving a quick rundown of what each found part is actually called.
Hi Fettacini
I realized I never got around to answering this for you. Here is what I've been able to compile thus far....
ROTJ Jet Pack Greeblies.jpg

To make it easier I've labeled them in RED w/Numbers and below provided some detail of the parts I'll be using.
Number in PicManufacturerPart NumberBought FromLink
1L-ComBAC260L-Com
2CannonXLR5-31-F77eBay
3Kuhnke50.061.02Bürklin
4Seismic AudioSAPT258Amazon
5Eaton8411K12eBay

Hope this helps!
:cry:

Regards,
-Iron

Last edited:
Hahaha, Nice.....Han.
:cool: :lol:(y)

Well then.....
Can you provide some measurements of width and length? (I'm not too concerned about depth)

Thanks,
-Iron
As far as the pack itself? No I can not... I only painted the pack I do not have said pack here. the actual face of the connector socket was as tall as the area... it wouldnt fit.

jbdubz
If more individuals provide Daz and Christian with this feedback, they’ll make the adjustments.
It's funny you say that. The JP I'm replacing is from Coz3D, a budget 3D printed pack. But it served its purpose and actually became of my favorite pieces in the costume. But I was just talking to another TDH member who also bought a Coz3D JP and turns out both of us have been (post sale) talking and providing feedback to them. They are now making plans to modify their pack to accomodate a spot for the greeblies as well as overall strengthening/reinforcement of the JP too.

In addition, I've spoken with Brett (of QuestDesignCanada) about providing additional Fett related parts. Turns out he took my feedback and actually released an update to a part I was talking with him on.

In short, I was shocked that my voice seems to have gone a little way to better pieces from vendors. But also shocked in that it seems like a majority of the community suffers in silence.

-Iron

Last edited:
jbdubz

It's funny you say that. The JP I'm replacing is from Coz3D, a budget 3D printed pack. But it served its purpose and actually became of of my favorite pieces in the costume. But I was just talking to another TDH member who also bought a Coz3D JP and turns out both of us have been (post sale) talking and providing feedback to them. They are now making plans to modify their pack to accomodate a spot for the greeblies as well as overall strengthening/reinforcement of the JP too.

In addition, I've spoken with Brett (of QuestDesignCanada) about providing additional Fett related parts. Turns out he took my feedback and actually released an update to a part I was talking with him on.

In short, I was shocked that my voice seems to have gone a little way to better pieces from vendors. But also shocked in that it seems like a majority of the community suffers in silence.

-Iron
I am by no means suffering... nor silent. I’m probably one of the most vocal people out there so much so people might not like me because of it

Fett 4 Real
I am by no means suffering... nor silent. I’m probably one of the most vocal people out there so much so people might not like me because of it
...and coming from you......for me anyways, all of which are welcome comments! Even the comments that may be perceived or come off as harsh, whereas I would see it as constructive criticism.
(y) :cool:

I think everyone has there favorite TDH members that they look up to, and you sir.....at least for me, are one of them!
:cry:

Going back to the measurements of the space that those greeblies sit in for the Boba Maker Jet Pack. I know tennantlim (another member I look up to!) has a Boba Maker Jet Pack and it looks like that he was able to get his to fit, and to me looks good...:unsure: And if his XLR connector in the pic below is a customized 3D printed piece, well....it looks real as heck!
Tennantlim's BM ROTJ Jetpack.jpg

I guess thats why I didn't second guess that an XLR connector wouldn't fit. I guess they're NOT all created equal, eh?

When I look at Boba Maker's site, I do see that the provided greeblies he supplies are like you say, not all that accurate. Which is why I'm on the hunt. Even BM's provided middle printed greeblie piece looks a wee bit large for the space (as does his BNC Connector).
Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack.jpg

I'll defintely update you all once I receive the jet pack from BM. Gonna be super bummed if this is all for naught though.

-Iron

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back