ROTJ Gauntlet Rocket - Aging Brass

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Fellow Fett's,
I recently got some metal parts for my ROTJ Hero Boba Build and was wondering how folks on here "Age" the brass component for the Gauntlet Rocket? I'm aware that MachineCraft offers a "Copper" variant of his Rocket. but I've seen some tutorials online that discusses how to age brass that will give it that bronze/copper finish. For example here is one: How To Age Brass in Less Than 5 Minutes | In My Own Style

I do like the look of this:
Aging Brass.jpg

Here is Reference Pic from the 501st:
Left Gauntlet.jpg

....And here is my metal prop, in the pic below you can see that it can be stripped so that I can just work with the brass piece...
Metal Gauntlet Rocket.jpg

I contacted the seller of the item and he confirmed to me that it is solid brass.

Anywho, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts if this has been attempted and if so, with what success?

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
RafalFett - I can work with that reference pic too! You are correct, in that nothing beats the original. Thanks for those by the way! ;)
I'm just looking to get from brass to that bronze/copper look.

Thanks,
-Iron

The images shot by Britt Dietz in the C-IV gallery are the best, as these were shot with a professional camera and you can see details that are washed out in other galeries. I used them heavily for my stencils and templates.
Boba-Fett-Costume-CIV-Britt-221.jpg

RafalFett - Again, nice upclose shot of the original! (y)

KaanE - I dunno, but that's why I'm on here. Deferring to the experts! ;) But again, here is the brass pic of the tip I have, and the pic that RafalFett gave us.......a side by side comparison.
Metal Gauntlet Rocket 2.jpg

To me anyways, that looks like aged brass, but call it what you want, be it Copper or Bronze (I'm no Metallurgical Engineer - Haha!).....I can only surmise that Boba Fett during his adventures/journey from ESB to ROTJ continued on with his Gauntlet Rocket as depicted in ESB and in ROTJ (Obviously changing out his gauntlet config and color a bit) is what we're left with is the "Weathered/Aging" results on that rocket.

....But what do I know? Hahaha! :lol: Again, only speculation on my part.

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
All,
Using a Brass Darkening Solution I think it may have worked! Here is a Before and After shot....
Gauntlet Rocket.jpg

The "After" picture shows it a bit darker than what it is. It is actually slightly lighter. With this particular solution it only took about a min to darken.

Here's a better shot....
Gauntlet Rocket Before and After.jpg

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
Wondering if the aging effect you're after is the same as "tarnish"
Wondering how it'll look after a lot of handling...moisture, air, natural oils from hands etc

Wondering if the aging effect you're after is the same as "tarnish"
Wondering how it'll look after a lot of handling...moisture, air, natural oils from hands etc
Fatbed - The photo taken below was taken on December 31st, 2020. So nearly 6 months after I used the Darkening Solution it held up. Honestly, I was also curious what it'd look like over time. But not too much difference. In October, I gave it a few mists of black with my airbrush, and ever so gently rubbed around the holes with a Q-Tip, but that was about it.
Dec 31st 2020 - Gauntlet Pic.jpg

Looks good my friend!! Awesome work, was that from quest?
spicy fett - Good eye! It is a QDC (QuestDesignCanada) Rocket!

Thanks,
-Iron

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back