ROTJ Gauntlet Red Color?

bobafeet74

New Hunter
Hello Everyone!
Had a quick question... does anyone know the official red color for Fett's ROTJ red gauntlets?
I'm about to start painting and wanted to get the base red color right... or as close as possible.
Thanks in advance for any replies!

Dunno about official, but there are several people who have used Floquil PRR Maroon.
Floquil was discontinued a few years ago and it's becoming very hard to find these days. :(

Rock Island Maroon, Model Masters British Crimson or Tamiya Flat red... those other colors are too dark for the base red. Once you weather over the red it changes visually to a similar color to those colors. But those colors aren't right.

Here’s my SE Fett and the Boxcar Red I used. The main color has been weathered over.

2DE9E409-B348-4392-94C7-09C1497C7771.jpeg

I've seen some use rattle can Rust-Oleum Spray Paint, Satin Claret Wine. I've heard of them putting down a base coat of black before the Claret Wine. I'm thinking they used gloss black to give it some depth, but I'm not positive it was gloss or flat...

Has somebody painted the gauntlets with Humbrol colours? Somewhere I have read about Humbrol 73... Is this accurate? Having a hard time to get the above mentioned paints in my country (Germany). Are there any other European brands? Thanks.

Hello all,
I know this thread is kinda old, but I used an iWata Airbrush with Vallejo Game Color (72.011) that they call "Gory Red" for my ROTJ Gauntlets.
Vallejo - 72.011 - Gory Red.jpg

I only mixed it with Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver which does nothing that'd alter the color - it just allows the paint to be sprayed better. And this is how mine came out....
Gauntlet's.jpg

Thanks,
-Iron

Hello all,
I know this thread is kinda old, but I used an iWata Airbrush with Vallejo Game Color (72.011) that they call "Gory Red" for my ROTJ Gauntlets.
View attachment 202378

I only mixed it with Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver which does nothing that'd alter the color - it just allows the paint to be sprayed better. And this is how mine came out....
View attachment 202379

Thanks,
-Iron
Hey Iron, where did you get the little LED for the gauntlet? Thanks dude

Hey Joba Fett
That little $5.00 LED was from an Etsy user calling herself "LEDLightStore", Her name is Leigh and she's super cool and responsive!
Etsy - LEDLightStore
I'm a repeat customer too as I built a Jawa (Iron's Jawa Build) and used her LED's for the eyes. I spoke with Leigh after I couldn't decide to use either her Orange or Yellow One's, I ordered Yellow - trusting my gut, but she was kind enough to send me both sets. In the end the yellow LED's were the better match. I asked her if she wanted the orange LED's back and she said keep em'!

1648940876180.png

For the Gauntlets, make sure to get the Red LED's as it is my opinion it's look way better than a white one would look like even under the red transparent covering. And the Red LED it is super bright too and very noticeable. For the mounting of it, I have a set of Boba Maker's Gauntlets. So I simply used Hot Glue to get it set in place and then strategically used dabs of Super Glue for the wire management. You'll also notice the on/off switch is pretty close to the opening. This is so I can easily turn it on/off without having to remove my gauntlet.
Left Gauntlet - Wire Management.jpg

And the 9v battery is velcro'd on the inside of the flame thrower housing.....
Right Gauntlet - Battery in and Out.jpg

Another tip is to....Pre-Hot Glue, play with the LED placement and see where best it would need to be positioned to shine the brightest. I found that the bulb when positioned at different angles produces less of a shine. So just play with it. Once you have it where you would like it, hot glue it in place. Nice thing about hot glue is the working time, that's also kind of the worst thing about it too. The fact that you have to hold it in place while the glue hardens.

Hope this helps!

-Iron

Hey Joba Fett
That little $5.00 LED was from an Etsy user calling herself "LEDLightStore", Her name is Leigh and she's super cool and responsive!
Etsy - LEDLightStore
I'm a repeat customer too as I built a Jawa (Iron's Jawa Build) and used her LED's for the eyes. I spoke with Leigh after I couldn't decide to use either her Orange or Yellow One's, I ordered Yellow - trusting my gut, but she was kind enough to send me both sets. In the end the yellow LED's were the better match. I asked her if she wanted the orange LED's back and she said keep em'!

View attachment 222162

For the Gauntlets, make sure to get the Red LED's as it is my opinion it's look way better than a white one would look like even under the red transparent covering. And the Red LED it is super bright too and very noticeable. For the mounting of it, I have a set of Boba Maker's Gauntlets. So I simply used Hot Glue to get it set in place and then strategically used dabs of Super Glue for the wire management. You'll also notice the on/off switch is pretty close to the opening. This is so I can easily turn it on/off without having to remove my gauntlet.
View attachment 222163

And the 9v battery is velcro'd on the inside of the flame thrower housing.....
View attachment 222164

Another tip is to....Pre-Hot Glue, play with the LED placement and see where best it would need to be positioned to shine the brightest. I found that the bulb when positioned at different angles produces less of a shine. So just play with it. Once you have it where you would like it, hot glue it in place. Nice thing about hot glue is the working time, that's also kind of the worst thing about it too. The fact that you have to hold it in place while the glue hardens.

Hope this helps!

-Iron
Thanks dude, only thing Leigh doesn’t deliver to the UK. I know this is very cheeky but if I sent you the monies for item and delivery is there any chance you could post to me. Big ask I won’t feel upset if you say no. You’ve been a massive help already.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back